Ruger 10/22 Takedown, who has one, and which version?

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Ruger 10/22 Takedown, who has one, and which version?

Post by Pawpaw »

That looks sharp!
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 3

Post by bblhd672 »

I'm looking for a decent optic to mount on my 10/22 Takedown. Recommendations from others appreciated.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 11

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Well, I went out to buy a 10/22 Takedown today, and came home with a brand new FDE 9mm Keltec Sub-2000 (G17 mags) instead. :mrgreen:

The 10/22 will have to wait a couple of days. :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

goose
Posts in topic: 2

Post by goose »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Well, I went out to buy a 10/22 Takedown today, and came home with a brand new FDE 9mm Keltec Sub-2000 (G17 mags) instead. :mrgreen:

The 10/22 will have to wait a couple of days. :lol:
Jealous of the FDE. Consider a Hogue Handall grip for a glock on the KelTec. It sort of locks the grip frame down and makes it feel solid.

When you go to get the takedown (or any 10/22 for that matter), I can't recommend the BX trigger enough. You can wait and find them for $50 on sale at CDNN and others. It is 90% of the way to a match trigger with 25% of the price. I like it so much that I have a spare for a 10/22 I assume I will buy in the future for a kid or grand kid. I have two installed.
https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/new-ru ... gger-1022/
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

Middle Age Russ
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Middle Age Russ »

A couple of years ago, we got one of the stainless barrel, silver action, black plastic stocked 10/22s with the 18" barrel. I added a set of sling swivels and a set of Nodak Spud sights to it to make a Liberty Training Rifle to take to Appleseeds. It worked well for my wife in that capacity. I was shooting a similar non-takedown version. If the option existed when we got hers or if I was buying one now, I would have gotten the one with the birdcage flash suppressor since I am about to build a suppressor for rimfire (just got my tax stamp).
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Middle Age Russ wrote:A couple of years ago, we got one of the stainless barrel, silver action, black plastic stocked 10/22s with the 18" barrel. I added a set of sling swivels and a set of Nodak Spud sights to it to make a Liberty Training Rifle to take to Appleseeds. It worked well for my wife in that capacity. I was shooting a similar non-takedown version. If the option existed when we got hers or if I was buying one now, I would have gotten the one with the birdcage flash suppressor since I am about to build a suppressor for rimfire (just got my tax stamp).

:tiphat: Thanks for that tip!
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

goose wrote:When you go to get the takedown (or any 10/22 for that matter), I can't recommend the BX trigger enough. You can wait and find them for $50 on sale at CDNN and others. It is 90% of the way to a match trigger with 25% of the price. I like it so much that I have a spare for a 10/22 I assume I will buy in the future for a kid or grand kid. I have two installed.
Wow, thanks for the tip! I certainly will make that modification. The reviewer does ask a valid question, although it won't influence my time of purchase decision: when will Ruger start putting these triggers in new 10/22 rifles?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
goose wrote:When you go to get the takedown (or any 10/22 for that matter), I can't recommend the BX trigger enough. You can wait and find them for $50 on sale at CDNN and others. It is 90% of the way to a match trigger with 25% of the price. I like it so much that I have a spare for a 10/22 I assume I will buy in the future for a kid or grand kid. I have two installed.
Wow, thanks for the tip! I certainly will make that modification. The reviewer does ask a valid question, although it won't influence my time of purchase decision: when will Ruger start putting these triggers in new 10/22 rifles?
I would say it's not likely.

Presumably, most 10/22s are bought by people who just want a plinker, or for their kids. Most of them will be happy enough with the stock trigger and never seriously consider spending the money to upgrade it. Those same people probably wouldn't be happy with an increase of $10 or $20 on the base rifle just to get something they probably aren't interested in.

Besides, with it's current trigger the 10/22 is arguably the most successful .22 rifle in the world. Why mess with success?
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

Pawpaw wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

Presumably, most 10/22s are bought by people who just want a plinker, or for their kids. Most of them will be happy enough with the stock trigger and never seriously consider spending the money to upgrade it. Those same people probably wouldn't be happy with an increase of $10 or $20 on the base rifle just to get something they probably aren't interested in.

Besides, with it's current trigger the 10/22 is arguably the most successful .22 rifle in the world. Why mess with success?
Those are good points. But my Glock usage aside, I'm kind of a trigger snob, so I'll probably drop one of those triggers in when I buy my 10/22.

#TINVOWOOT

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

Those are good points. But my Glock usage aside, I'm kind of a trigger snob, so I'll probably drop one of those triggers in when I buy my 10/22.
A true trigger snob would at least go with a Volquartsen. That's what I did, but that was before the BX-trigger was announced. Just before, of course. :grumble

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

I see that you have already made your purchase, I bought one when they came out 3? years ago. Have put a couple of thousand rounds through it, with no problems. It shoots as well as the regular 10/22 I did put the BX trigger in and satisfied with it. You will enjoy your sub2000 I have the 9mm and the 40. they hold the G17 & G22 mags and the happy sticks as well. My sons got together and gave me a new take down for Christmas (not knowing that I had one). I told them you can't have too many and my wife said "I guess you really want that new safe now". Sounds like you had a great Christmas and I hope and pray for a Happy and Blessed New Year.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

lfinsr

Post by lfinsr »

The BX trigger will lower the trigger pull but isn't very smooth. Fundamentally I have a problem with the business model of building a crappy trigger and then selling an "upgrade" for $55+. Don't get me wrong, I think Ruger firearms are a very good value, I just think they could put a better trigger to begin with.

I chose to send mine out to Brimstone Gunsmithing and am very happy with it. A Tier 3 trigger job is $38.50 + shipping. His work gets good reviews over on rimfirecentral.com.

Be careful or this bargain 10/22 will cost you more than an AR. Don't ask me how I know... :evil2:
My guns won't be illegal, they'll be undocumented. :thumbs2:

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

twomillenium wrote:I see that you have already made your purchase, I bought one when they came out 3? years ago. Have put a couple of thousand rounds through it, with no problems. It shoots as well as the regular 10/22 I did put the BX trigger in and satisfied with it. You will enjoy your sub2000 I have the 9mm and the 40. they hold the G17 & G22 mags and the happy sticks as well. My sons got together and gave me a new take down for Christmas (not knowing that I had one). I told them you can't have too many and my wife said "I guess you really want that new safe now". Sounds like you had a great Christmas and I hope and pray for a Happy and Blessed New Year.
No, I haven't bought yet. I went to buy one yesterday, but that Kel-Tec Sub-2000 jumped up and down, waving its arms to get my attention......and then it fell into my shopping cart and chased me out to my car..... so I'm going to have to get the Ruger in the next few days. :mrgreen:

#TINVOWOOT

krieghoff
Posts in topic: 2

Post by krieghoff »

The first thing the grandkids want to do when they come to the ranch is go to the range and shoot!! I wound up buying a couple of 10/22's for them to use and kinda got hooked on them so I bought one for myself.. Even though it's a .22, it can be fun outfitting one. I have several times more tied up in aftermarket goodies than I paid for the gun itself. It's a fun project. Also here is a link that may be of interest.

http://www.kiddinnovativedesign.com
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Native Texan
CHL Holder Since 1996

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

lfinsr wrote:The BX trigger will lower the trigger pull but isn't very smooth. Fundamentally I have a problem with the business model of building a crappy trigger and then selling an "upgrade" for $55+. Don't get me wrong, I think Ruger firearms are a very good value, I just think they could put a better trigger to begin with.

I chose to send mine out to Brimstone Gunsmithing and am very happy with it. A Tier 3 trigger job is $38.50 + shipping. His work gets good reviews over on rimfirecentral.com.

Be careful or this bargain 10/22 will cost you more than an AR. Don't ask me how I know... :evil2:
Thanks for posting...I'm going to send my 10/22 trigger group off to Brimstone rather than buy a BX trigger.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”