GLENFIELD/MARLIN 60

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

GLENFIELD/MARLIN 60

Post by WTR »

i own a Glenfield......haven't shot it in 40 + years.......Ruger 10/22 and CCI mini mags have me spoiled. I want anyone who owns one to watch this at about the 2:33 mark for a safety reminder. I actually had a high school classmate killed with a ND from one of these rifles. Good reminder. Hope I don't insult anyone with this video.

parabelum
Posts in topic: 1

Re: GLENFIELD/MARLIN 60

Post by parabelum »

Good reminder. I personally like 10/22 the best.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 4

Post by puma guy »

I enjoyed the video, but I have to take issue with a couple of things. The Marlin Model 60 has a feature to lock the bolt open with the charge handle pushed in. Also, you can easily unlock and remove the mag tube w/o putting your hand in front of the muzzle. I could show any one how to do it. He failed to mention the bolt lock feature on the Model 60. When the charge handle is pulled back and pushed toward the receiver it locks the bolt back and ejection port is open. There's still a cartridge in the carrier which is visible, but with the bolt open on an empty chamber, safety on you can empty the tube. There is that last cartridge visible in the carrier that will have to be cycled and it's prudent to cycle several times and recheck with the bolt held open. The newer Model 60's stay open on the last shot,BTW. Of course even that's no guarantee the gun is empty until it's cycled and visibly checked. I understand he's trying to make a point, but there are ways to easily avoid the issues he mentioned.

I laughed when he said the Remington didn't have a 'bullet' shaped loading gate. Of the three rifles I will say the Marlin has the reputation as the most accurate. As to which is the most reliable I can't say for sure. I have a couple of Model 60's and a couple of Remington Nylon rifles. Both models never miss a lick. The prototype of the Remington Nylon 66 was used to shoot over 110,000 wood blocks with less than a dozen misses. I probably sold a thousand Model 60's and only had one returned; the customer said it failed to eject. I fixed it without even disassembling the rifle. The Ruger has a solid reputation, also. I intend to get me a 10/22 Take-down model at some point. I love .22's :lol: . Sorry about your friend. I survived an accidental GSW from a .22. If I may ask what happened?
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I was not in the car. I just know he took one in the head from an " empty" Marlin.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

I also have a Model 60 that I bought when I was 18, almost 40 years ago. I agree with puma guy about being able to lock the bolt open, and load and unload it without putting my hand in front of the muzzle. I can see how an inexperienced, or improperly trained person could be injured, but the same can be said about almost any firearm. I love mine, it is a tack driver, and after almost 40 years and thousands of rounds, it has never failed with any ammo I have used. I am probably going to get a 10/22, take down, in the future, just for it's portability, but I still enjoy shooting my model 60. I think I paid about $69.00 for it from Western Auto, back in the day. The stock has some scratches, on it, but all of the metal finish is still in great shape.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Wag2323

Post by Wag2323 »

Good information. I inherited a Glenfield 75 from my uncle and did not know this about the rifle. I have only used it to target shoot twice, so never unloaded it just always fired till empty.

I still rack the bolt a few times so would have noticed but this saves me from googling in the future.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Wag2323 wrote:Good information. I inherited a Glenfield 75 from my uncle and did not know this about the rifle. I have only used it to target shoot twice, so never unloaded it just always fired till empty.

I still rack the bolt a few times so would have noticed but this saves me from googling in the future.
:thumbs2: A prudent practice for any weapon.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

TxLobo wrote:*shrugs

Dad bought me a Model 60 Glenfield from K-Mart back in the 70's.. came with a 4x scope. 40 years later and no surprises from the rifle, I passed it to my son..

Common sense used to be common I guess.
:thumbs2:

Topic author
WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

puma guy wrote:

Dad bought me a Model 60 Glenfield from K-Mart back in the 70's.. came with a 4x scope. 40 years later and no surprises from the rifle, I passed it to my son..

If posting the video makes just one person double check the chamber on any gun before they pull the trigger, it was worth it. For those of us that had that concept drilled into our heads , it wasn't needed. However, there are too many people shot or killed by an empty weapon....I knew one of them.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

WTR wrote:
puma guy wrote:

If posting the video makes just one person double check the chamber on any gun before they pull the trigger, it was worth it. For those of us that had that concept drilled into our heads , it wasn't needed. However, there are too many people shot or killed by an empty weapon....I knew one of them.
:thumbs2: :thumbs2: Again, sorry about your friend.

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

Sorry you lost your friend but I owned and used Marlin 60 rifles for over 40 years with no ND issues. :tiphat:
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

ml1209

Post by ml1209 »

I have a 60. Thanks for the safety video.

AdioSS

Post by AdioSS »

My Papaw/grandad kept a Glenfield 60 beside the back door to shoot gophers. He let me shoot it a bunch. It was passed to me about 10 years ago. I didn’t know about the round left after emptying the tube. I just always shot it until empty and always cycle the action several times to verify an empty weapon.

Thanks to this thread for telling me about the bolt hold open lock. I just tried it for the first time. It was pretty stiff from not being used, but I did get it to work. :thumbs2:

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”