.223 Bolt Gun Manufactures

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Rugerboy50
Posts in topic: 2

.223 Bolt Gun Manufactures

Post by Rugerboy50 »

Time for a new .223 bolt gun.

Looking at three models

Howa 1500
Remington 700 Varmint
Savage Model 25 Walking Varmint

Don't know anything about the Howa.

Will be a bench rest paper gun only

Which one is best.

Like the Remington but have heard a lot about possible quality issues lately. Gun will be upgraded at some point.

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 1

Re: .223 Bolt Gun Manufactures

Post by crazy2medic »

My son had a Howa 1500 heavy barrel in .204, Very accurate rifle, Howa made rifles for Weatherby, they are worth the money!
He was head shooting praire dogs at 400yds with no problem!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

EastTexasRancher

Post by EastTexasRancher »

I just acquired a Ruger M77 MKII .223 from my brother in law. I've not shot it yet, but do look forward to it. He said he could hold 2" groups at 200 yards....but we will see.

I will shoot it first, then see if I want to order a Timney trigger for it.

growlerVII

Post by growlerVII »

I vote for HOWA. they made the vanguard series (& vanguard II) I had one in .308 for reloading purposes. My hot little handloads rattled scope mounts loose and broke the safe selector. I called to buy a new one and the just asked for my address. It's an $8 part but, still......they took care of me. Oh! And I bought the rifle second hand from a private seller. Didn't even have a box, or any paperwork. They make good rifles + they have a lot of aftermarket support.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I would buy the Remington.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Did you consider the Mossberg MVP line? There are several different models in the line. They have the added attraction of using AR mags in .223/5.56mm.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I own and like a Remington 700 VSF in .308 that I would recommend......if they still made them. But pretty much any varmint configured R700 in .223 would be a pretty nice rifle. Also, Savage has the 12 F/TR model which looks like a real nice shooter, although it is double the cost of the Walking Varminter: https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/12FTR. I'd also take a look at the 10/110 Predator Hunter Max 1.

Ruger offers several models of their Gunsite Scout in .223/5.56 also. It's not as refined or as accurate as a nice varmint rifle, but it is short, handy, and is fairly accurate. MSRP is in the $1140-$1200 range, but nobody pays MSRP, so..... Also, Ruger offers a 5.56 version of their Ruger Precision Rifle.

Finally, Mossberg offers 5 or 6 models in their Predator / Varmint line: http://www.mossberg.com/product/mvp-var ... fle-27720/. MSRP is $754, but I don't know much about their quality. A friend of mine has a .308 MVP Patrol rifle that he likes and has used in various tactical competitions, but I don't think he's used it at any kind of extended ranges, so I can't speak to their accuracy.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Rugerboy50

Post by Rugerboy50 »

Great feedback.

It's going to come down to the Remington 700 or Savage Varmint.

Leaning toward the 700 for upgrading options down the road.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Also, Savage has the 12 F/TR model which looks like a real nice shooter, although it is double the cost of the Walking Varminter:
The Savage model 12 line shoots real good. The prices aren't bad if you can find a decent used one. I have a .204 12VLP that I bought used and my brother has a 12 BVSS in .22-250. Both are well under MOA rifles.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Tikka T3x Varminter in 223, you would thank me later.
http://www.tikka.fi/rifles/tikka-t3x/t3x-varmint
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Rugerboy50 wrote:Great feedback.

It's going to come down to the Remington 700 or Savage Varmint.

Leaning toward the 700 for upgrading options down the road.
If you get a 700, do yourself a big favor and drop another $146 into this Timney trigger: https://www.timneytriggers.com/shop/tim ... igger.aspx. You can select the pull weight you want when ordering, and it will come from the factory that way, but the pull weight is adjustable if you want to change it. I bought one with a 3 lb pull and put it on my VSF. Once installed, we (my son and I) set it to a 2.25 lb pull, and it is perfect. It is a literal drop in part that installs fairly easily. You will never regret the purchase. You can buy one of their more expensive triggers if you want (if I were building a ground-up custom rifle, I'd probably do that), but their $146 base model is WAY better than the factory trigger, and well worth the cost. You'll find that the improved trigger will be as big of a deal as the optic you choose. Lots of people spend money on glass, but not everyone spends money on a trigger; and yet it is as big of a deal as the glass.....maybe bigger.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

Beiruty wrote:Tikka T3x Varminter in 223, you would thank me later.
Best advice so far!
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

SigM4 wrote:
Beiruty wrote:Tikka T3x Varminter in 223, you would thank me later.
Best advice so far!
TR 1:8 RH
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/677698195
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”