AGL Defense ACT trigger review

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 4

AGL Defense ACT trigger review

Post by E.Marquez »

I recently purchased a Sig M400 rifle in 5.56 and the trigger reminded me exactly of my many M4 rifles I had in the Army, as in gritty, creep, notchy and excessive pull required.
I researched many drop in triggers and had several in the "cart" for purchase, but decided, I dont want a 2.5-3lb pull trigger on this rifle...and I don't need a drop in...Im very confident in my ability to fit a trigger group in an AR style rifle, up to and including milling the receiver for over sized pins should I want to.
So I started looking at replacement trigger groups.
A company called ALG Defense kept popping up in forums, blogs and reviews...
I looked at their offerings and the Advanced Combat Trigger (ACT ) seemed to fit the bill for what i wanted
The ALG Defense Advanced Combat Trigger (ACT) is designed for those shooters where tradition, value and regulatory concerns are of primary importance. The pull of the ACT is very similar to a standard mil-spec trigger, however it is sharper and the grittiness of the stock trigger pull has been removed while the traditional reliability of a stock trigger remains. The pull weight is not lower than the M4/M16 minimum weight specification of 5.5lbs.

NOTE: Included with the ACT is the Purple reduced power hammer spring as well as a full power hammer spring.
Priced at $69 I decided it was well worth the buy in for an experiment and at worst, Id resale it at 50% in an instant and be out not much more then I might blow on lunch for the wife and I most every weekend.
I purchased the ACT trigger and a Geissele Automatics - Trigger Fitting Pin for ease of install and no need to machine a tool in my non spare time these days.

The packaged arrived 4 days after purchase, with just standard shipping.
The trigger group came with instructions that I "think" will make sense to most anyone that has done their homework. Its hard for me to judge that as I have been working with the M16/ M4 platform for a lot of years to include the Army's Armorer training more then a few years ago..

Install took minutes, and that included swapping the light purple spring for the "heavy" 5-6lb Tan spring
The difference between a clean, well lubed original SIG trigger (and every Colt M16/M4 trigger as it came from the supplier) is night and day.
The grittiness is gone, the brake is clean and crisp with just a tine bit of creep, but its even and smooth. my trigger with tan spring breaks at 5.4lb
I will try the purple light spring as well after I put a few hundred rounds down range with this spring.

Bottom line, if your looking for a "nicer" trigger then came in your off the shelf AR rifle, do not want or need a ultra light pull trigger, shot 'well" with a stock trigger, the ALG ACT trigger might be right for you at a buy in of just $69
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

TexasVet
Posts in topic: 1

Re: AGL Defense ACT trigger review

Post by TexasVet »

If I recall correctly ALG defense is the sister company of Geissele triggers and makes lower cost triggers, for those that don't want to pay $200+ for their premium ones. They don't use the exact same tolerances or tools, but do a very good job.

gtolbert09

Post by gtolbert09 »

Did you know that ALG is owned by the wife (Amy Lynn Geissele) of the guy (Bill Geissele ) that owns Geissele Triggers?
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

Topic author
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

TexasVet wrote:If I recall correctly ALG defense is the sister company of Geissele triggers and makes lower cost triggers, for those that don't want to pay $200+ for their premium ones. They don't use the exact same tolerances or tools, but do a very good job.
Pretty much
https://algdefense.com/about-us/
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas

Topic author
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

gtolbert09 wrote:Did you know that ALG is owned by the wife (Amy Lynn Geissele) of the guy (Bill Geissele ) that owns Geissele Triggers?
Yes I did, its on their web site.., but were you just sharing fun facts or implying that is something that should have influenced the purchase?

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Having spent ALL the monies on my last build, I am planning a more plain-Jane stripped down AR for my next one, and this ALG trigger sounds like it might be a good choice for it. Thanks for the review.

My problem is that I can't decide whether I want to build a 20" M16 replica with a carry handle, or another M4 carbine. The longest barreled AR I have right now is a 18" DMR with a heavy match barrel from Odin Works. I have a 10.5" SBR and a 16" carbine also, so it might be kind of fun to have an iron-sighted 20" AR, even though I can't see for squat without optics.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

circumspice_tuebor

Post by circumspice_tuebor »

I have experience with the ACT, Geissele G2S, and CMC drop-in (flat face). The ACT is very good for the money.

I have a 20" Ballistic Advantage barrel that's longing for a rendezvous with my spare upper and lower. I'll definitely put an ACT in that build.

I'm not an operating operator, so take my endorsement with a grain of salt.

P.S.: I'm also a fan of ALG's rails - I've installed two, and they are great.
Micah 6:8

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

I just replaced an ALG ACT with a BCM PNT trigger. About the same weight of pull with the BCM PNT being more crisp with less takeup. The ACT will be going into a 14.5 build I am working on.

Trigger "feel" is a very individual thing. The ALG ACT is an excellent choice for replacing the gritty GI type trigger.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

Topic author
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

LeonCarr wrote: Trigger "feel" is a very individual thing. The ALG ACT is an excellent choice for replacing the gritty GI type trigger.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
Agree completely and as strange as it sounds to many, I wanted the general feel of a MIL Spec trigger, just cleaner.
I squeezed a Mil Spec trigger 10's of thousands of times ..My brain knows what should happen.
So I did not want a 2lb trigger. Nor a 2 stage, nor one with almost zero takeup...as all those "desirable " qualities are not what Im used to.

If I was building a Match rifle, or a Three gun rifle, Id consider a trigger with those qualities...
But I wanted something my brain already knew how to use, so when under duress, stress, confusing conditions ....I had a trigger that would "feel" and react as I have trained for many thousands of times.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”