Shot Shells for Skeet?

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
oohrah
Posts in topic: 2

Shot Shells for Skeet?

Post by oohrah »

I have a couple 12 ga shotguns, and I've been asked to go skeet shooting on Sunday. I'm a complete noob on skeet/trap, so what type shot shells do I want to buy?
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Shot Shells for Skeet?

Post by Oldgringo »

Any brand low base #8 shot will do for what you're doing. If you get serious, Winchester AA Skeet Loads with #8 shot.

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I usually run what's cheapest for skeet shootin. If I'm shooting my benelli super Vinci it doesn't like the low velocity shells tho. Some semis dont. But my 870 eats anything and everything

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

I like these:
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

1911 10MM

Post by 1911 10MM »

Academy has Monarch 12 gage 7.5 or 8 monarchs for 5.00 a box right now. These are 1oz shells traveling at 1350 FPS. I use the every weekend shooting skeet, five stand, and sporting clays. I like dm and the price is right.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

Oldgringo wrote:Any brand low base #8 shot will do for what you're doing. If you get serious, Winchester AA Skeet Loads with #8 shot.
:iagree: AA #9's work good too, if you can find them.
Last edited by jason812 on Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

couzin

Post by couzin »

If you are shooting a regulation skeet field almost any shell will work, but if you can find #9 shot good, if #8 shot also ok, 7 or 7.5 not so much but will still work. Install the most open choke you have - cylinder, skeet, improved cylinder. But even if you only have a fixed full shotgun - you will still have fun...!!
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

#9's huh? I might have been putting myself at a disadvantage. I've almost always used #7.5 and only occasionally #8's. I might have to look a little harder for #9 and try that out, but at least start using #8's more. Maybe I can finally get a 24 or 25 on a round.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

1911 10MM

Post by 1911 10MM »

C-dub wrote:#9's huh? I might have been putting myself at a disadvantage. I've almost always used #7.5 and only occasionally #8's. I might have to look a little harder for #9 and try that out, but at least start using #8's more. Maybe I can finally get a 24 or 25 on a round.
if it's a windy day you won't like 9 or 8's.

Topic author
oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Thanks, everybody. I was surprised how inexpensive target shells are.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Check what the range allows. Some restrict anything below #8.

Generic #8s you can buy at Academy or Walmart.

Have fun. It's hellaciously addictive.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

mupepe

Post by mupepe »

1911 10MM wrote:Academy has Monarch 12 gage 7.5 or 8 monarchs for 5.00 a box right now. These are 1oz shells traveling at 1350 FPS. I use the every weekend shooting skeet, five stand, and sporting clays. I like dm and the price is right.
This is what I always buy. Cheap and seems to be accurate enough in my 870 for clays.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”