Red Dot sight question.

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
bmwrdr
Posts in topic: 10

Red Dot sight question.

Post by bmwrdr »

I am trying to find out what the best option for an unmagnified red dot sight is without spending over $1,000.
So far I am looking at a Sig Sauer Romeo4c but would like to get some input from fellow forum members which already went down this route.
I am not going over 100 yard distance and already singled out the low cost sights based on youtube and web research.
Thanks in advance for your input.
:tiphat:
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

pbwalker
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Red Dot sight question.

Post by pbwalker »

Have you looked at Primary Arms? I'm a huge fan, and they don't break the bank.

http://www.primaryarms.com/MCategories+Red-Dots

Vortex Sparc II (anything from Vortex) is a good bet too.
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Scott B. »

The 4C is a good optic, but has been replaced by the Romeo 4S.

I put a 4S on my MCX Virtus and really like it. The solar backup is a plus.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Topic author
bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

Scott B. wrote:The 4C is a good optic, but has been replaced by the Romeo 4S.

I put a 4S on my MCX Virtus and really like it. The solar backup is a plus.
Thank you, I looked into that and realize the Romeo 4S is about $140 over the Romeo 4C. The 4S has four different reticles vs. two on the 4C and the color is black instead of graphite on the 4C.

Topic author
bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

pbwalker wrote:Have you looked at Primary Arms? I'm a huge fan, and they don't break the bank.

http://www.primaryarms.com/MCategories+Red-Dots

Vortex Sparc II (anything from Vortex) is a good bet too.
Thanks for sharing, I looked at the Vortex brand and it got good reviews on youtube. Price and features are in good balance.

Chityworker

Post by Chityworker »

Vortex has a lifetime warranty too.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

I have an Aimpoint Pro on my ar pistol that stays in the car. I've been happy with it. The temperature extremes cause the battery to last half of what is claimed but I leave it on and change the battery every 6 months.

If Sig's Romeo is built like their Whiskey 5 1-5x20 I have on another one, you won't be disappointed.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I second Vortex and primary arms. I have a vortex sparc 2 and it hasn’t been on a gun of some sort for the last 4 years. Been an absolute great optic. It stays on my AR 9m
These days. I also really like primary. I like their optics and reticles prob better than any other company. Trijicon is now actually paying them a royalty to use primary’s new reticle in some of their optics.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

cmgee67 wrote:I second Vortex and primary arms. I have a vortex sparc 2 and it hasn’t been on a gun of some sort for the last 4 years. Been an absolute great optic. It stays on my AR 9m
These days. I also really like primary. I like their optics and reticles prob better than any other company. Trijicon is now actually paying them a royalty to use primary’s new reticle in some of their optics.
Aimpoint on my 5.56 SBR has been flawless but am finding that I do not favor the red dot - in general - over a reticle. I went with Primary Arms for my .300 BO pistol, had some initial quality probs with mount but now sorted out and I really like the 3X magnification and the reticle.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Topic author
bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

cmgee67 wrote:I second Vortex and primary arms. I have a vortex sparc 2 and it hasn’t been on a gun of some sort for the last 4 years. Been an absolute great optic. It stays on my AR 9m
Thanks for sharing. I reviewed the Aimpoint Pro yesterday, there are some great videos on youtube.
Today I'll review the Trijicon MRO Patrol.
So far I have seen a lots of positive revies about the Romeo series but will look at any option out there before I'm going to buy one.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

I like the MRO, but it's not a budget red dot.

For a budget red dot, I'll second Primary Arms and mention Holosun. That factory may or may not make red dots for other companies (under different design and QC regimes).
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Pete92FS

Post by Pete92FS »

I have a Vortex Strikefire II on my AR that I got through Amazon for $179. I later added a Vortex 3X magnifier which I got through EBay NIB for $145. Both are good quality products at a good price with a lifetime warranty.
CHL since 01/26/09

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Bitter Clinger wrote:
Aimpoint on my 5.56 SBR has been flawless but am finding that I do not favor the red dot - in general - over a reticle. I went with Primary Arms for my .300 BO pistol, had some initial quality probs with mount but now sorted out and I really like the 3X magnification and the reticle.
I agree I like the reticle over red dots because it’s always there and most of primary arms optics you can illuminate your reticle. I havnt any issue with any mounts. And yes holoson is good. I have the primary arms version. I would like to give the Romeo optics a chance they look pretty decent but I also really like the trijicon MRO.
Bitter Clinger wrote:

I want to try that magnifier soon. You really like it? Can it fold over out of the way?

I’ve tried eotechs as well but for the money I can’t stand having a grainy lookin dot. That’s just an OCD thing tho.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

cmgee67 wrote:
Bitter Clinger wrote:
I agree I like the reticle over red dots because it’s always there and most of primary arms optics you can illuminate your reticle. I havnt any issue with any mounts. And yes holoson is good. I have the primary arms version. I would like to give the Romeo optics a chance they look pretty decent but I also really like the trijicon MRO.
Bitter Clinger wrote:

I want to try that magnifier soon. You really like it? Can it fold over out of the way?

I’ve tried eotechs as well but for the money I can’t stand having a grainy lookin dot. That’s just an OCD thing tho.
This one. The 3X magnification is built in, no separate fold over magnifier such as the one often paired with the EOTech. Reticle has gradients for both super and sub sonics:
http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms ... gKL0fD_BwE
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Pete92FS

Post by Pete92FS »

The Vortex 3X magnifier folds out of the way.
CHL since 01/26/09

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”