Red Dot sight question.

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
bmwrdr
Posts in topic: 10

Re: Red Dot sight question.

Post by bmwrdr »

Thanks for all the comments on this topic. I decided to order the Romeo 4c as it had good reviews on youtube amd it still has a relative low price tag in comparison to other high end scopes.
Worst case scenario is ending up with two :-)
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

A $1,000 window is a pretty broad one. I have two micro-red dots. The first one is an Aimpoint T2 Micro, and it was somewhere around $750 or so (mount included). The other one is a Primary Arms that ran me about $250 or so = mount included. I guess if I had to go to war, I’d take the Aimpoint. It might be a little overpriced, but they have EARNED their reputation for quality on some very tough battlefields. But for everything else, the Primary Arms RDS seems just as good, and would be fine in almost any situation in which you’d expect to find yourself.

That’s a $500 spread in price for no real practical difference in performance for day to day use for the average shooter. But again, if you’re headed for Afghanistan, spring for the good stuff. Buy a REAL ACOG instead of a $300 Burris AR332, and buy a REAL Aimpoint instead of a Primary Arms. But if all you’re doing is plinking and some 3 gun competition, get the Primary Arms RDS and be happy. Spend the difference in price on ammo.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

The Annoyed Man wrote:A $1,000 window is a pretty broad one. I have two micro-red dots. The first one is an Aimpoint T2 Micro, and it was somewhere around $750 or so (mount included). The other one is a Primary Arms that ran me about $250 or so = mount included. I guess if I had to go to war, I’d take the Aimpoint. It might be a little overpriced, but they have EARNED their reputation for quality on some very tough battlefields. But for everything else, the Primary Arms RDS seems just as good, and would be fine in almost any situation in which you’d expect to find yourself.

That’s a $500 spread in price for no real practical difference in performance for day to day use for the average shooter. But again, if you’re headed for Afghanistan, spring for the good stuff. Buy a REAL ACOG instead of a $300 Burris AR332, and buy a REAL Aimpoint instead of a Primary Arms. But if all you’re doing is plinking and some 3 gun competition, get the Primary Arms RDS and be happy. Spend the difference in price on ammo.
Thanks for sharing. I ordered the Romeo 4c for $309 from Amazon.

Rhino1

Post by Rhino1 »

I’ve been an Aimpoint fan for some years. I prefer the red dot over the reticle, it so fits me. I especially like the Aimpoint battery life.
I was lucky enough to get to go to SHOT Show this year as an “employee”of a friend. Holosun makes a mini red dot with claimed similar battery life to Aimpoint. What was particularly interesting is that they have a model with a solar panel on top in addition to the battery. Theoretically you should always have a dot as long is there’s is enough ambient light, even if battery is dead. The neat thing is that the intensity of the dot adjusts automatically as ambient light changes. Bought my first one on Amazon for $170 and just received second one, this one was $150.
I’ve got the first one on an SBR that I shoot at local carbine matches. Several in my squad this month were also running Holosun. I’ve had no issues to date (hence bought the second one)
The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Topic author
bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

Rhino1 wrote:I’ve been an Aimpoint fan for some years. I prefer the red dot over the reticle, it so fits me. I especially like the Aimpoint battery life.
I was lucky enough to get to go to SHOT Show this year as an “employee”of a friend. Holosun makes a mini red dot with claimed similar battery life to Aimpoint. What was particularly interesting is that they have a model with a solar panel on top in addition to the battery. Theoretically you should always have a dot as long is there’s is enough ambient light, even if battery is dead. The neat thing is that the intensity of the dot adjusts automatically as ambient light changes. Bought my first one on Amazon for $170 and just received second one, this one was $150.
I’ve got the first one on an SBR that I shoot at local carbine matches. Several in my squad this month were also running Holosun. I’ve had no issues to date (hence bought the second one)
Thanks for sharing. I just mounted the Romeo 4c and it looks like I like it. The reticle helps me to focus and the controls for vrightnes are easy to access. All hardware was included and mounting it was a breeze. I'll find out this weekend if my old eyes are compatible with that sight :-)

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Post by C-dub »

I'm a little surprised that no one suggested an EoTech. Is everyone still ticked at them or have they not regained anyone's trust yet? I thought they had even resolved the issue that caused all the problems.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

C-dub wrote:I'm a little surprised that no one suggested an EoTech. Is everyone still ticked at them or have they not regained anyone's trust yet? I thought they had even resolved the issue that caused all the problems.
I looked into several Eotech models but realized several authors on youtube suggested other brands over Eotech.

Rhino1

Post by Rhino1 »

I was cleaning out literature from SHOT Show and found the Holosun catalog. They offer the reticle as well as the red dot which I prefer. Reticle option is there for those who prefer that.
The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

bmwrdr wrote:
Rhino1 wrote:I’ve been an Aimpoint fan for some years. I prefer the red dot over the reticle, it so fits me. I especially like the Aimpoint battery life.
Thanks for sharing. I just mounted the Romeo 4c and it looks like I like it. The reticle helps me to focus and the controls for vrightnes are easy to access. All hardware was included and mounting it was a breeze. I'll find out this weekend if my old eyes are compatible with that sight :-)
SIG SAUER - ROMEO5 COMPACT RED DOT SIGHT - $139.99
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
bmwrdr wrote:
SIG SAUER - ROMEO5 COMPACT RED DOT SIGHT - $139.99
That is a very good price. I got the romeo 4c last week and paid $309.
I like the size for its purpose and tested it last Saturday. It worked as expected and all the mounting hardware was in the box. A tool for the installation was supplied as well as a battery.

karder
Posts in topic: 1

Post by karder »

I attended a low vis carbine class last week and got to look at a lot of red dots. One of the instructors was using a Leupold LCO which looked really nice. I may put that one on my next build.

I have EOTech on my main carbine and ran that for the two day class. I have had it for a few years and it always preforms.

I think that Meprolight offers some good red dots at a competitive price. It seems that they get over looked but I would put them up there quality wise with the big players. I put one of their RDS models on my CX4 Carbine and honestly, I think I prefer it to the EOTech. It has been very reliable and I prefer using a large knob to turn it on and off versus the two button push on the EOTech.
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

Topic author
bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

karder wrote:I attended a low vis carbine class last week and got to look at a lot of red dots. One of the instructors was using a Leupold LCO which looked really nice. I may put that one on my next build.

I have EOTech on my main carbine and ran that for the two day class. I have had it for a few years and it always preforms.

I think that Meprolight offers some good red dots at a competitive price. It seems that they get over looked but I would put them up there quality wise with the big players. I put one of their RDS models on my CX4 Carbine and honestly, I think I prefer it to the EOTech. It has been very reliable and I prefer using a large knob to turn it on and off versus the two button push on the EOTech.
Thanks for sharing. I have learned to use the Sig Romeo 4c for now and found some likes and dislikes.

- Motion activated red dot and solar cell saves battery live
- All hardware was included.
- Wide range of illumination settings.
- Easy 2 button operation.
- Not the cheapest but still a good deal.

Dislikes:
- The newer models are always better for just a few bucks more.
- 20 mm optics, I'd like 25 - 30 mm.
- User manual is thin and there is no reference to accesoires like magnifier on the manufacturer website.

I am almost certain there will be another one in the chimney at Xmas and the Romeo 4c mae end up on my shotgun.

:cheers2:

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”