Shotgun selection

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

1911 10MM
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Shotgun selection

Post by 1911 10MM »

Grab a gun has Weatherby SA-08 in several gauges. This is a semi auto that is right at 500.00. I have one with synthetic stock and it has never failed me and is what my son uses for shooting clays since I got my Browning.

Topic author
Scott65
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Scott65 »

Thanks to all for your input and advice.

nimravus01
Posts in topic: 1

Post by nimravus01 »

rotor wrote: I personally would not recommend the Yildiz Academy shotguns.
Why not? Please elaborate. I've read the over-under guns are pretty decent, (for the price tag).

rotor
Posts in topic: 3

Post by rotor »

nimravus01 wrote:
Why not? Please elaborate. I've read the over-under guns are pretty decent, (for the price tag).
Guntest.com reviewed a 20 gauge and gave it a D-, friend had one in 12 gauge and used on sporting clays. Had to carry a wooden dowel with him because the fired shells sometimes wouldn't extract and he had to push them out with the dowel. They look good but looks aren't everything.
There is a post here at http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=35095

People either love them or hate them. Google yildiz problems and read for yourself. I think one can do better than Yildiz.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Absolutely cannot go wrong with a Remington 1100 semi-auto! And they come in all price ranges.

https://www.remington.com/shotguns/auto ... model-1100
Last edited by Bitter Clinger on Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I bought my daughter an ATI 20 gauge O/U from Grabagun last year and it has held up great. We don't put hundreds of rounds through it every week or it might not be holding up so well. A friend of mine that has a few Perazzi's told me the biggest difference in his and my daughter's is in the reliability to shoot hundreds or thousands of rounds each week versus each year. Other than that, not a huge difference. I got my daughter hers for under $500.

One thing I may have missed is about the OP's daughter's ability with firearms in general. Does she shoot much at all? Has she ever fired a shotgun at all before? Is she small or not? A 12 gauge might be too much for her. The simplicity of an O/U is tough to beat compared to the possible issues operating an inexpensive semi-auto.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Bruin98

Post by Bruin98 »

As a former coach, not shooting, wait till the team meeting.

I can't tell you how many kids bought a bat they couldn't use over the years. I spent 10 minutes in my preseason team meeting explaining how to buy the right bat for your kid.

Once you take the wrap off, the bat is yours.

Topic author
Scott65

Post by Scott65 »

She's been shooting for 4 or 5 years now. Pistols and rifles. She's done well with both. She's not petite... Almost 6ft tall. I don't see a 12 gauge being a problem, but who knows.

couzin

Post by couzin »

If sporting clays (and skeet, 5-stand, and doubles trap), there will be a pair in the air (plus report pairs). If your shooter is not very accustomed to cycling a pump shotgun and being able to keep eyes on the targets, a gun capable of doubles (semi or OU) is a big plus for a learning or young shooters. Just my opinion - carry on...
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Sidro wrote:My wife and I have Beretta, Browning, Franchi, CZ and Benelli O/U and semi shotguns. She mostly shoots a Beretta A-400 which is above your price range. However Beretta has a very good semi for around $800. Recoil is not bad and it is a good choice for sporting clays. I don't think you can go wrong with this gun. It is the A-300 model and is made in the USA. Pump shotguns are tough to shoot for sporting clays so a semi works a lot better. O/U guns are great but will have more recoil than the semi.
Also, if you’re looking at Benellis, don’t forget to check out Stoegers, which are - depending on model - the same gun as the Benelli, made in the same factory by the same people, but being sold at a significantly lower price point.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

AndyC wrote:12-ga Rem 1100 - done.

:thumbs2: :iagree:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

nimravus01 wrote:
I bought my wife a Yldiz in 20 gauge a few years ago. It keeps developing rust spots on the breach face and on the opposing chamber faces. The gun shoots OK, but the opening and closing of the action is quite stiff, and the action release thumb lever on the top of the receiver was never quite centered from the factory. When I bought it, I was given a choice of wood selection from the several of the same models that they had in stock, and I chose the one with the prettiest wood, not noticing the thumb lever until after I got the gun home. My bad. But I also own a Stoeger O/U that I bought used on consignment for about the same price as the new Yldiz, and it has been pretty much problem free and is a much better made gun.

Speaking of which, if you have considered buying used, I have two shotguns for sale here: http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic. ... 6#p1134906........ a 26” Stoeger Uplander Side by Side 12 gauge Shotgun, and a 27” Remington 870 Express 12 Gauge Pump Action Shotgun.

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Scott65

Post by Scott65 »

My buddy dug through his stuff and came up with two he's willing to part with. Trade (which would be better for me currently), or sale. They are both Winchesters. One is a 1400 semi auto, other is a 1300 pump. Not sure on barrel length or anything else, as I haven't been to look at them in person yet. They are several years old, not recent. Any thoughts on them? I had a Winchester semi auto years ago, 30 plus, and it was reliable. It disappeared from me though...

comp73

Post by comp73 »

I found a review where the guy talks about the 1400 not cycling the ammo correctly. He also complains about aftermarket chokes not fitting.

Not sure if any of this would apply to you, but you might try running a couple of boxes of shells through them just to see how she likes the feel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxBrwlZceDw
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. -Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”