Essential long gun collection

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

MaduroBU
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Essential long gun collection

Post by MaduroBU »

Middle Age Russ wrote: Remember that 2 is 1 and 1 is none, so each of these should be duplicated to ensure you have what you need when you need it.
I would argue that a well built and well designed firearm should, like any other well built and well designed machine, have a few well defined points for failure that are relatively cheap and easy to replace. While I strongly agree with having spares for those parts (e.g. springs, ejectors, barrels), I am forced to wonder if the money spent on a duplicate FIREARM in the name of redundancy might not be better spent on a single, better quality firearm.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Ed4032 wrote:
Beiruty wrote:The term collection starts to have a meaning at 12 items... :mrgreen:
12 is not a collection. First of all that does nothing toward having several of the same gun because you’ll need one to shoot and one to keep pretty. Then maybe one more because it’s a different caliber. They get lonely.
I got you covered on that front. I have pistols that I do not shoot and I have exact models that I shoot ;)
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

MaduroBU wrote:
Middle Age Russ wrote: Remember that 2 is 1 and 1 is none, so each of these should be duplicated to ensure you have what you need when you need it.
I would argue that a well built and well designed firearm should, like any other well built and well designed machine, have a few well defined points for failure that are relatively cheap and easy to replace. While I strongly agree with having spares for those parts (e.g. springs, ejectors, barrels), I am forced to wonder if the money spent on a duplicate FIREARM in the name of redundancy might not be better spent on a single, better quality firearm.
I use a Walther Q5 Match for my IDPA competition pistol, and I have a second gun of the exact same model, equally broken in, cleaned and ready to go in my range bag. That is just in case a failure happens in the middle of a match and I don't have time to repair it on the spot. Similarly, I try to never be reliant on just one gun for SD scenarios. That's why I have a gun that stays in my car, and at home, I have my nightstand gun sharing a bedside safe at night along with my EDC. When carrying, I also really like to have a BUG just in case.

All of these guns are what anyone would objectively call "high quality", and are kept very well maintained. But I still want to be prepared for the likelihood that one fails. I guess it's my Boy Scout training.

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

A quality, well maintained tool should certainly function as it should. The point of the saying, and in complete redundancy, is that if you desperately NEED to employ your tool and it doesn't immediately work as expected, having another similar tool immediately available may save your bacon. In a time of dreadful urgency, the time for troubleshooting and wrench turning to fix an issue may simply not be available. I am not saying that everyone should have two of everything, but two is most certainly better than one in any scenario where stakes and absolute urgency are high.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

I can see the value if you're speaking of having the spare within reach or at worst at your vehicle. However, apart from the competition scenario above, most of the time you won't have a range bag. Gaurding against failure by your carry weapon likely wouldn't take the form of an exact copy, as you mention, but a weapon of similar utility (e g a BUG in an ankle holster or a truck gun).

That makes sense to me.

Topic author
ml1209

Post by ml1209 »

Also, keep in mind I'm only talking long guns, as this is a "Rifles and Shotguns" subforum :mrgreen:

canvasbck
Posts in topic: 1

Post by canvasbck »

Best way to build a good long gun collection

1. Get a random customer to go grab a random box of ammo off the shelf for you.

2. Take said box of ammo home

3. Convince the wife that you need to get a gun to go with new ammo (don't mention anything to her if random ammo winds up being a caliber you already have a gun for)

4. Go back to step one
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”