Suppresor Talk/ options

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

SigM4
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Suppresor Talk/ options

Post by SigM4 »

SQLGeek wrote:With the changes to the way NFA items are handled, is there as much of an advantage to using an NFA trust these days if you're going to be the only one using the items in your household?
Scott pretty well answered your question above, but some other points to ponder. Are you always going to be the only one in the household to shoot/use them? No chance of a relative or friend wanting to borrow them years from now? When you're out of town are the always going to be locked up/secured such that no one else could get to them, even a wife/GF? I guess my point is we never know what the future holds, trusts allow for more flexibility down the road than an individual filing.

Don't get me wrong, individual filings have their place, but a trust alleviates many of the worries and allows more wide enjoyment if you have shooting buddies/family that could have even accidental access to them down the road. Nothing stopping anyone from creating a trust with only themselves on it for now. You could buy a bunch of toys now on a trust with just yourself, then years from now amend the trust to add folks that you want to have access.

The reason I bring this up is folks often forget to that move an NFA item from an individual into a trust will cost you another $200 and a wait (who knows what the future will bring for times). I've known a few folks that have gone that route only to regret it later. Most bought a single can or two as an individual and then started a trust for the remaining items. Some will use the argument that individual filings are taking less time, but that's a short term view of the situation. I'd rather it take an extra month or two to get the long-term benefit of having them in a trust.

Again, just a few things to think about when making a decision. Ultimately you have to make the decision that's best for your situation.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 7

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Scott B. wrote:If you're the only one shooting your NFA toys, I'd lean towards individual filings.

On suggestion for the heir or person handling your affairs, have example Form 5s filled out for each NFA item. Easy to do. Download the PDF, type in your details, print it off and keep it with your papers.
But with a Form 5 transfer of an NFA item, does the transferee still have to fill out a 4473 and undergo a background check, even without the tax stamp? And if that is the case, who holds the NFA item between your passing, and your heir’s taking possession? OR, is the transfer just like inheriting a gun (at least in Texas)?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Scott B. »

I believe they stay with the executor (not executer...hopefully) until it's all sorted out. I'll check.

There are certainly benefits to a trust. If your trust is really complicated, multiple parties spread all over, getting finger prints and photos for everybody can be challenging. I've got a trust, but then again I don't trust anybody--even family--with my NFA toys, so it's pretty simple.

Course, I do have an SOT too :mrgreen:
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SQLGeek »

Good points to ponder. My wife has no interest at all in shooting or guns in general. Neither does my GF for that matter (twas a joke, put the pitchforks away folks). :D

I cannot conceive any particular situation where I would want any of my friends in a trust. Since I don't have an NFA trust, I am questioning whether the hassle and expense would be worth it if I'm going to be the only one. But thank you for giving me something to consider.
Psalm 91:2

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Scott B. »

The Annoyed Man wrote: But with a Form 5 transfer of an NFA item, does the transferee still have to fill out a 4473 and undergo a background check...
Unless the items have been held by a 02/03 SOT for the estate there won't be a new 4473. For individual NFA Form 4s or 5s, there's no need for a background check because that's been done by ATF. If a 4473 is done the check is bypassed and you just tick the corresponding NFA box. This is different than a Trust stamp where the check is done because they're uncertain who from the trust is picking up the NFA item.

For the form 5, two copies go to ATF, one notification goes to the CLEO, and eventually a copy of the Form 5 comes back to the transferee.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Topic author
fernando1027
Posts in topic: 5

Post by fernando1027 »

Thanks again for the good comments and the great info after a long time of looking up suppressors/silencers....I did brought a surefire SOCOM556-RC2

Here is how it will look when it finally gets to my FFL... the one on it right now is from the guy who got me to the process

:thewave :woohoo

MaduroBU
Posts in topic: 3

Post by MaduroBU »

That's sharp. You'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”