Remington 870 w/detachable magazine

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 1

Remington 870 w/detachable magazine

Post by Vol Texan »

So Mrs. VolTexan wants a “Mother’s Day shotgun” as her gift this year. I’ve long been a pistol and rifle shooter, and admit to not knowing enough about shotguns to make an informed decision on a home-defense shotgun, so I’m turning to the most reliable source on firearms knowledge available: YOU!

I picked up my latest copy of Shooting Illustrated and found this article: https://www.shootingillustrated.com/art ... m-shotgun/. Anyone have any insight on this one?
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

kayt00

Re: Remington 870 w/detachable magazine

Post by kayt00 »

I can't speak to the DM in the article specifically, what I can say is that my brothers and I grew up on 870's for rabbit, quail, and dove hunting back when California was still a firearm friendly state. Specifically we got to play with the 870 express and 870 Wing master, both of which after the better part of two decades are still running fantastically. As a generality I don't think you can go wrong with an 870 variant.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
All lost in a tragic kayaking incident.
Bring back BitterClinger

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Rem 870 or Mossberg 590
Both solid choices.

The 870 has a HUGE aftermarket following if that appeals to you.

Allons
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Allons »

cmgee67 wrote:Rem 870 or Mossberg 590
Both solid choices.

The 870 has a HUGE aftermarket following if that appeals to you.
:iagree:
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Bitter Clinger »

You may wish to consider a semi-auto. Lower recoil and faster follow-on shots. A Remington 1100 Tactical with the 18" barrel is a very reliable choice.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

Check out this article. I'd be happy with any of the guns on this list (some of which were mentioned here)
NRA Member

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

NRA Member

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

The 870 is a sturdy, reliable mainstay in the shotgun world. You can't go wrong buying one. Adding a detachable magazine is superfluous. Unless you are in a firefight, needing additional shots quickly I'd stick to the tried and true tube fed version. It can be loaded quickly enough in normal circumstances.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

My only hangup with detachable magazines on shotguns is when switching ammunition, for example from a buckshot round in the chamber to a slug, the Select Slug Drill (Fire buckshot, rack slide chambering another round of buckshot, threat is still active because he is too far away for buckshot, insert slug in magazine, depress slide release, rack slide, buckshot removed from chamber, slug inserted into chamber), with practice, is IME much faster than switching magazines, especially the larger than normal shotgun magazines.

I personally would pick the standard 870 over the 870DM.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

LeonCarr wrote:My only hangup with detachable magazines on shotguns is when switching ammunition, for example from a buckshot round in the chamber to a slug, the Select Slug Drill (Fire buckshot, rack slide chambering another round of buckshot, threat is still active because he is too far away for buckshot, insert slug in magazine, depress slide release, rack slide, buckshot removed from chamber, slug inserted into chamber), with practice, is IME much faster than switching magazines, especially the larger than normal shotgun magazines.

I personally would pick the standard 870 over the 870DM.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
If they were still being made and to the quality of all the ones I have had, I would recommend the Winchester 1300 in a pump shotgun. Smoother out of the box than most 870's are after a couple of busy quail and dove seasons.
:thumbs2:
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Vol Texan wrote:So Mrs. VolTexan wants a “Mother’s Day shotgun” as her gift this year. I’ve long been a pistol and rifle shooter, and admit to not knowing enough about shotguns to make an informed decision on a home-defense shotgun, so I’m turning to the most reliable source on firearms knowledge available: YOU!

I picked up my latest copy of Shooting Illustrated and found this article: https://www.shootingillustrated.com/art ... m-shotgun/. Anyone have any insight on this one?
I would recommend the Mossberg 500 or 590 with the OPSol attachment. This allows the mini shells to cycle reliably and for home defense the mini shell has been proven to have enough power for in home self defense, without as much threat of over penetrating walls. The mini shells can be bought in birdshot, buckshot or slugs. I do not know if OPSol makes an attachment for Remington.

Plus, the fact that Remington has filed for bankruptcy, may make a difference.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

twomillenium wrote:
Vol Texan wrote:So Mrs. VolTexan wants a “Mother’s Day shotgun” as her gift this year. I’ve long been a pistol and rifle shooter, and admit to not knowing enough about shotguns to make an informed decision on a home-defense shotgun, so I’m turning to the most reliable source on firearms knowledge available: YOU!

I would recommend the Mossberg 500 or 590 with the OPSol attachment. This allows the mini shells to cycle reliably and for home defense the mini shell has been proven to have enough power for in home self defense, without as much threat of over penetrating walls. The mini shells can be bought in birdshot, buckshot or slugs. I do not know if OPSol makes an attachment for Remington.

Plus, the fact that Remington has filed for bankruptcy, may make a difference.
There is no adapter for the 870 that I'm aware of. Many, but not all Remington 870 seem to feed them OK and I read a review that Winchester pumps mostly eat them without a hitch. I even read Aguila designed them for the Win 1300, but that gun was discontinued in 2006. Like anything you'll find reviews that are great and those that are negative. It comes down to individual preference. I have all three brands of pumps, Winchester, Mossberg and Remington. The smoothest of all three is a Model 1200 Winchester. I have the mini shell adapter for my Shockwave, but I haven't tried the mini shells in any of the other SG's. It all comes down to personal preference and purpose. If using mini shells is not in the equation just about any pump will work. There are Chinese clones of Ithacas, 870's and others that seem to do the job just fine. If one is inclined to trick it out for tactical/defense purposes it's probably best to stick with the more popular models or their clones due to availability of accessories. I have a cheapo H&R/NEF that functions fine and an old 20" Bbl JC Higgins (High Standard) pump I carry in my truck that functions and patterns just as good as my 1300 Defender. And as I said in another thread "they're all pretty" :biggrinjester: .

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pawpaw »

Just to throw another option out, Mossberg now has a box magazine fed 590.

http://www.mossberg.com/category/series/590m-mag-fed/

The 590M is fed from a 10-round double-stack magazine.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

Pawpaw wrote:Just to throw another option out, Mossberg now has a box magazine fed 590.

:iagree: found a new gun i need.
NRA Member

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Pawpaw wrote:Just to throw another option out, Mossberg now has a box magazine fed 590.

That makes more sense than the 6 round Remington's.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”