Interstate Handguns.

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: Keith B, carlson1

User avatar

ScottDLS
Senior Member
Posts: 3954
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:04 am
Location: DFW Area, TX

Re: Interstate Handguns.

Postby ScottDLS » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:09 pm

C-dub wrote:
ScottDLS wrote::iagree:

Correct. But you still have to meet the requirements of the state you’re driving in, even if your state doesn’t require inspection of the same things... :tiphat:

I fail to see your point. My truck does not have to meet CA's emissions standards when I'm vacationing out there and I'm not required to have it inspected while I'm there.

I do have to abide by the traffic laws and other stuff, but not everything.


It doesn't have to meet the special California emission standards because it is not registered there, but it IS required to meet the state safety standards even if they are stricter than Texas. If you have window tint darker than allowed in VA and you drive through there, you can get a ticket. If your car is "smoking" in CA you can get a ticket even if you have Texas tags. You must follow all the state laws of the state you are in.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"


1911 Raptor
Junior Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:56 am

Re: Interstate Handguns.

Postby 1911 Raptor » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:43 pm

ScottDLS wrote:
C-dub wrote:
ScottDLS wrote::iagree:

Correct. But you still have to meet the requirements of the state you’re driving in, even if your state doesn’t require inspection of the same things... :tiphat:

I fail to see your point. My truck does not have to meet CA's emissions standards when I'm vacationing out there and I'm not required to have it inspected while I'm there.

I do have to abide by the traffic laws and other stuff, but not everything.


It doesn't have to meet the special California emission standards because it is not registered there, but it IS required to meet the state safety standards even if they are stricter than Texas. If you have window tint darker than allowed in VA and you drive through there, you can get a ticket. If your car is "smoking" in CA you can get a ticket even if you have Texas tags. You must follow all the state laws of the state you are in.


This is not true in all cases. When I was stationed in California and had Texas Tags I was questioned about my window tint several times but never received a ticket because my vehicle had to conform to the rules of my state of residence (Texas) not California. I had Texas plates and registration and was not required to do yearly smog checks or any of the other crazy stuff that Californians had to do. My vehicle had to meet the requirements of Texas and that was it. I promise you if they could have given me a ticket for window tint they would have in a heartbeat.

User avatar

ScottDLS
Senior Member
Posts: 3954
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:04 am
Location: DFW Area, TX

Re: Interstate Handguns.

Postby ScottDLS » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:53 pm

1911 Raptor wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
C-dub wrote:
ScottDLS wrote::iagree:

Correct. But you still have to meet the requirements of the state you’re driving in, even if your state doesn’t require inspection of the same things... :tiphat:

I fail to see your point. My truck does not have to meet CA's emissions standards when I'm vacationing out there and I'm not required to have it inspected while I'm there.

I do have to abide by the traffic laws and other stuff, but not everything.


It doesn't have to meet the special California emission standards because it is not registered there, but it IS required to meet the state safety standards even if they are stricter than Texas. If you have window tint darker than allowed in VA and you drive through there, you can get a ticket. If your car is "smoking" in CA you can get a ticket even if you have Texas tags. You must follow all the state laws of the state you are in.


This is not true in all cases. When I was stationed in California and had Texas Tags I was questioned about my window tint several times but never received a ticket because my vehicle had to conform to the rules of my state of residence (Texas) not California. I had Texas plates and registration and was not required to do yearly smog checks or any of the other crazy stuff that Californians had to do. My vehicle had to meet the requirements of Texas and that was it. I promise you if they could have given me a ticket for window tint they would have in a heartbeat.


When I was stationed in Virginia, they would have given me a ticket for window tint even though I had NC plates, but I had to take the tint off because in order to get on the Naval Base I had to have a current inspection sticker. I didn't have time to drive to NC to get one so I had to get a VA, hence lose the tint. California combines their inspection with registration (like Texas does now). Had you not been military, you would have been required to get California registration 30 days after entering the state. And, for example, if you have a muffler too loud for CA they will ticket you. CA allows for pretty dark tint, so I doubt you'd get pulled over if Texas allows slightly darker. In FL and some other states the cops carry meters that measure tint depth to see if it's compliant. It's all stupid, but technically states are under no obligation to recognize other states' driver's licenses or vehicle maintenance regulations, they just generally do for non-residents traveling through or temporarily visiting.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"


chasfm11
Senior Member
Posts: 3146
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:01 pm
Location: Northern DFW

Re: Interstate Handguns.

Postby chasfm11 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:59 am

For RVs, the Feds have almost forced the States into adapting a fairly universal set of special license standards based on weight of 26,001 pounds for a sell-contained RV or 10,000lbs for a towed one. As could be predicted, CA is the odd man out. I point this out because they are all State standards which conform because the Feds tied them to highway funds, I believe. I can drive my RV even in Canada on my TX license even though Canada has much tougher standards for additional training on vehicles with air brakes. That, too, was a Federally driven initiative. In contrast, the requirements for towed things are all over the map because the Feds did not set standards. In Texas, I can tow my boat up to 4,500lbs without supplemental brakes while other States have limits as low as 1,500lbs. I've driven our RV in most of the lower 48 States with a towed car and never had a problem but it is more because States seem to not want to pick on RV tourists than because I'm in compliance with the respective State towing laws.

At a minimum, if full reciprocity cannot be passed, FOPA should be expanded to include concealed carry on Interstate highways. Illinois is much better than NJ, NY and MD in that regard. I can have my concealed gun loaded in my vehicle as long as it remains there. NJ, NY, and MD would arrest me if it were discovered. It is well understand that many (most?) RVers travel armed and I suspect that it is a little like the towing requirements that the local law enforcement doesn't hassle them more. While there have been exceptions of drug running seniors in RVs, mostly RVers are accepted as the more law abiding citizens. It is a political problem that gun owners with similar reputations are not accepted in the same way.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dun Spiro Spero


ralewis
Senior Member
Posts: 260
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:37 pm

Re: Interstate Handguns.

Postby ralewis » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:45 pm

I hope it passes so I can drive the 11 miles thru Maryland on I81 on the way to PA. :) If all this gets us is the ability to carry (with a license from your home state) in a car, that would relieve an enormous inconvenience for me personally as I drive in NY, NJ, MD every summer when visiting family. I'd even be happy to comply with the non-sensical hollow point prohibition in NJ.

I'm skeptical about passage in the Senate, but maybe they can throw in an incentive to protect endangered cockroaches or something in a few BLUE states and get a few Dems to vote for it...


chasfm11
Senior Member
Posts: 3146
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:01 pm
Location: Northern DFW

Re: Interstate Handguns.

Postby chasfm11 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:40 am

ralewis wrote:I hope it passes so I can drive the 11 miles thru Maryland on I81 on the way to PA. :) If all this gets us is the ability to carry (with a license from your home state) in a car, that would relieve an enormous inconvenience for me personally as I drive in NY, NJ, MD every summer when visiting family. I'd even be happy to comply with the non-sensical hollow point prohibition in NJ.

I'm skeptical about passage in the Senate, but maybe they can throw in an incentive to protect endangered cockroaches or something in a few BLUE states and get a few Dems to vote for it...


As I understand it, some of the Dems are from districts and States where such a vote could weigh heavily in their re-election. It seems that getting bills like this to the floor, where this is a vote on the public record, is a good step toward passage. I share your MD problem as we have relatives in PA and have the same issue on that short amount of road out of a 1,500 mile trip. I have no hope that NJ or NY are going to comply even if reciprocity does pass. They will go the sanctuary cities route and defy Federal law. I lived in NJ for a while. The politics there run deep and in the wrong direction.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dun Spiro Spero


ralewis
Senior Member
Posts: 260
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:37 pm

Re: Interstate Handguns.

Postby ralewis » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:41 am

chasfm11 wrote:
ralewis wrote:I hope it passes so I can drive the 11 miles thru Maryland on I81 on the way to PA. :) If all this gets us is the ability to carry (with a license from your home state) in a car, that would relieve an enormous inconvenience for me personally as I drive in NY, NJ, MD every summer when visiting family. I'd even be happy to comply with the non-sensical hollow point prohibition in NJ.

I'm skeptical about passage in the Senate, but maybe they can throw in an incentive to protect endangered cockroaches or something in a few BLUE states and get a few Dems to vote for it...


As I understand it, some of the Dems are from districts and States where such a vote could weigh heavily in their re-election. It seems that getting bills like this to the floor, where this is a vote on the public record, is a good step toward passage. I share your MD problem as we have relatives in PA and have the same issue on that short amount of road out of a 1,500 mile trip. I have no hope that NJ or NY are going to comply even if reciprocity does pass. They will go the sanctuary cities route and defy Federal law. I lived in NJ for a while. The politics there run deep and in the wrong direction.


I'd be totally fine if this was watered down to allow carry in a vehicle in all 50 states (and DC). But I agree with you wrt to NJ at least. Any state that won't let you pump your own gas has got big problems....


Return to “Other States”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests