Arkansas

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
dws1117
Posts in topic: 4

Arkansas

Post by dws1117 »

We are leaving on Sunday morning to go see my Dad in Arkansas. Anything I should know about CCW in AR? From what I have gathered, thier laws aren't much different than here.

I know that here in can keep a loaded rifle in the car. Is that true for AR, or wil I need to stop and lock it in the back of the car?

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Arkansas

Post by KBCraig »

dws1117 wrote:We are leaving on Sunday morning to go see my Dad in Arkansas. Anything I should know about CCW in AR? From what I have gathered, thier laws aren't much different than here.
One big difference: you are legally obligated to announce to the owner that you are carrying, and secure his permission, before entering any private home.

No biggie for me. I'm not going in anyone's house who doesn't know me enough to know that I'm carrying. [;)]

I know that here in can keep a loaded rifle in the car. Is that true for AR, or wil I need to stop and lock it in the back of the car?
As a practical matter, you're okay. There are some technical restrictions from the hunting regulations, saying that if you possess a loaded firearm on game-bearing lands, you are presumed to be hunting.

There are also some ridiculous bans on possessing a loaded centerfire firearm anywhere within Hot Springs Village (except within your own home), and certain other geographically-described areas that I presume to be hoity-toity retiree communities. Arkansas has complete pre-emption just like Texas, so these numbskulls managed to get their bans written into state law.

You can read the Arkansas Code here. It's not the greatest user interface, but you can eventually figure it out (hey, I did!)

Kevin

Topic author
dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

Thanks for the link. A few questions.
(d)(1) Any person who carries a weapon into an establishment that sells alcoholic beverages shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor and subject to a fine of not more than two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500) or imprisonment for not more than one (1) year, or both.
It would seem that AR doesn't have the 51% rule as TX does. This would seem to indicate that any place that sells booze is off limits, which could include any convenience store, grocery store, and most restraunts.

Am I reading this correctly?
5-73-122. Carrying a firearm in publicly owned buildings or facilities.
Doesn't seems to make an execption for a person with a CHL. It appears that that this applies to any gov't owned facility.

OK, There has got to be something that I am missing, but none of the statutes make an exemption for a CHL, only for LEO.
5-73-127. Possession of loaded center-fire weapons in certain areas.

(a) It is unlawful to possess loaded center-fire weapons, other than shotguns, and other than in a residence or business of the owner, in the following areas:
(1) Baxter County:

(A) That part bounded on the south by Highway 178, on the west and north by Bull Shoals Lake, and on the east by the Central Electric Power Corporation transmission line from Howard Creek to Highway 178;
This part is just crazy. I didn't print the whole thing, but it goes on and on. This must have beeen what you meant here:
There are also some ridiculous bans on possessing a loaded centerfire firearm anywhere within Hot Springs Village (except within your own home), and certain other geographically-described areas that I presume to be hoity-toity retiree communities. Arkansas has complete pre-emption just like Texas, so these numbskulls managed to get their bans written into state law.
One last thing:
One big difference: you are legally obligated to announce to the owner that you are carrying, and secure his permission, before entering any private home.
No biggie here either. My Dad is one of the few people that know that I have a CHL.[/url]

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

dws1117 wrote:Thanks for the link. A few questions.
(d)(1) Any person who carries a weapon into an establishment that sells alcoholic beverages shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor and subject to a fine of not more than two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500) or imprisonment for not more than one (1) year, or both.
It would seem that AR doesn't have the 51% rule as TX does. This would seem to indicate that any place that sells booze is off limits, which could include any convenience store, grocery store, and most restraunts.
That section is similar to Texas's law about carrying where alcohol is sold, but doesn't pertain to CHL/CCW.

This is what you're looking for;

5-73-306. Prohibited places.

(a) No license issued pursuant to this subchapter shall authorize any person to carry a concealed handgun into:
(...)
(12) Any portion of an establishment, except a restaurant as defined in § 3-9-402, licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises;

(13) Any portion of an establishment, except a restaurant as defined in § 3-9-402, in which beer or light wine is consumed on the premises;

Arkansas originally prohibited carry by licencees anywhere alcohol was consumed, then they changed it to allow carry in restaurants.

Where in Arkansas are you going?

Kevin

Topic author
dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

Thanks for the clarification.

Dad lives in Mulberry near Ft. Smith. He has been CCW for a while so I am sure he will know more.

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

dws1117 wrote:Thanks for the clarification.

Dad lives in Mulberry near Ft. Smith. He has been CCW for a while so I am sure he will know more.
That's a good area. I'm originally from Hatfield, which just south of Mena, and lies almost exactly halfway between Texarkana and Fort Smith on US 71. It's a great place to grow up or grow old, but there's not much in between.

I graduated from Arkansas Tech in Russellville, which is also a nice area.

Kevin

Topic author
dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

Yeah, I agree, that is a terrific area. Northwest AR is just about perfect, especially if you like the outdoors. Mayby one day when we the kids are gone and all parents have left us, I can talk the wife into retiring up there.

Was there last 2 years ago. Dad took me fishing at Lake Dardonelle for striper. Had a lot of fun. Don't think we will be doing any fishing this time, but we will get in some shooting.

We will be taking 71 up to Ft. Smith then 64 to Dad's.

Return to “Other States”