Fed Judge Overturns California Ban on "Assault" Weapons

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
rtschl
Posts in topic: 1

Fed Judge Overturns California Ban on "Assault" Weapons

Post by rtschl »

U.S. District Judge Roger Benitez of San Diego ruled Friday that the state’s definition of illegal military-style rifles unlawfully deprives law-abiding Californians of weapons commonly allowed in most other states.

https://nypost.com/2021/06/04/us-judge- ... SocialFlow
Ron
NRA Member

Jeff B.
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Fed Judge Overturns California Ban on "Assault" Weapons

Post by Jeff B. »

That’s big.

I think you can count on this going to appeal and a hostile court and ending up as a Supreme Court case.

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

Breaking news: California Governor Newsome calls Judge Roger Benitez's ruling "a disgusting slap in the face to those who have lost loved ones to gun violence."

I'm shocked at his shock, I tell ya. </sarcasm>
U.S. District Judge Roger Benitez wrote: "This case is not about extraordinary weapons lying at the outer limits of second amendment protection. The banned 'assault weapons' are not bazookas, howitzers or machine guns. Those arms are dangerous and solely useful for military purposes. This is an average case about average guns used in average ways for average purposes. One is to be forgiven if one is persuaded by news media and others that the nation is awash with murderous AR-15 assault rifles. The facts, however, do not support this hyperbole, and facts matter.... In California, murder by knife occurs seven times more often than murder by rifle."
Evidently, despite the 1989 ban, about 190,000 "assault weapons" are registered in California. The state of California is in process of appealing a 2017 ruling by Benitez against the nearly 20-year-old ban on magazines capable of holding more than 10 rounds, and it's also appealing an April 2020 decision by Benitez that blocked a 2019 California law requiring background checks for anyone buying ammunition.

Judge Benitez, we all hope you keep fighting the good, logical, and constitutional fight. But if you ever throw your hands up in the air and give up on California, we'll have a warm Texas welcome and a cold bottle of Shiner Bock waiting for you here.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

So does this mean somebody in California can go out TODAY and buy an AR?
-Ruark

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Ruark wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:32 am So does this mean somebody in California can go out TODAY and buy an AR?
Not yet. His ban on enforcing the law is on hold for 30 days to allow for an appeal. And I hope they do appeal. I am confident the 9th circuit will overturn him (when they rule en banc, if not with the three judge panel - Trump got enough judges appointed there that a three judge panel might uphold it). The question is if the SCOTUS would take it. They might wait for a split between circuits to see if anyone else gets a ban thrown out. That probably would be in one of three places, New York, Massachusetts, or Chicago. Not too many places have a similar ban to question.
Steve Rothstein

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

srothstein wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:44 am
Ruark wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:32 am So does this mean somebody in California can go out TODAY and buy an AR?
Not yet. His ban on enforcing the law is on hold for 30 days to allow for an appeal. And I hope they do appeal. I am confident the 9th circuit will overturn him (when they rule en banc, if not with the three judge panel - Trump got enough judges appointed there that a three judge panel might uphold it). The question is if the SCOTUS would take it. They might wait for a split between circuits to see if anyone else gets a ban thrown out. That probably would be in one of three places, New York, Massachusetts, or Chicago. Not too many places have a similar ban to question.
They MAY overturn him, or they may leave it in place...for now. They may not want to risk it going to SCOTUS and risk a decision that affects the whole USA.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

AndyC1911

Post by AndyC1911 »

Rafe wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:44 am Judge Benitez, we all hope you keep fighting the good, logical, and constitutional fight. But if you ever throw your hands up in the air and give up on California, we'll have a warm Texas welcome and a cold bottle of Shiner Bock waiting for you here.
:iagree:

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

This could be as big as Heller. I'm also worried that the 9th will strategically cave to Benitez to avoid handing the appeal to the USSC, but I don't think it's a given that they will act with that much foresight. The woke Twitter/Facebook mobs will roast them as traitors if they don't overturn Benitez (see the unhinged rhetoric from the CA governor and AG above....do you think that NPC trolls on Twitter will be more or less reasonable?), which will give them a powerful motivation to simply overturn.

In that case, we could see a sweeping ruling which will drastically change gun laws for all Americans.

AndyC1911

Post by AndyC1911 »

MaduroBU wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:32 pm I don't think it's a given that they will act with that much foresight.

They're so cocky they believe they can win every battle.

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

AndyC1911 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:13 pm
MaduroBU wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:32 pm I don't think it's a given that they will act with that much foresight.

They're so cocky they believe they can win every battle.
They may also be hopeful that there will be an additional 200 liberal justices on the USSC by the time that the appeal reaches that court.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

My prediction. 9th circuit panel or full court overturns. SCOTUS doesn't take it up.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

philip964

Post by philip964 »

The judge knows about being infringed!!
Attachments
E848D1AA-07A2-4BDC-95BE-7DD6CF6106E3.jpeg

ajwakeboarder
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ajwakeboarder »

srothstein wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:44 am
On the slim chance that the 9th is smart enough not to appeal, the ban would be reversed on.....drumroll......July 4th. Can you think of a better way to celebrate Independence Day? :patriot: :fire
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

ajwakeboarder
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ajwakeboarder »

Also, Judge Benitez is the one who ruled against the "high" capacity magazine ban and the online ammunition ban in California. His ruling against the magazine ban led to "freedom week" in California before a say of execution was granted. In that week, it is estimated that several million magazines were imported into California. Yours truly imported and partially distributed over 200 standard 30 round magazines before the stay was granted.

Unfortunately, the ammunition ban was only lifted for a little over a day before the stay was granted. Still, I really hope all of these rulings get elevated to the SC and overturn the regressive policies that California has been subjecting its citizens to.
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Ammo ban? So what keeps people in Commie Cali from going to a neighboring State and buying Ammo?
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Return to “Other States”