Reciprocal and Unilateral

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

2farnorth
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Reciprocal and Unilateral

Post by 2farnorth »

Is there anything we can do to incourage a reciprocal agreement or even a unilateral recognition of a particular state. I have an occasional need to travel to Maine and have held a CHL there, but Tx. and Me. don't recognise each other.
N5PNZ

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Keith B »

2farnorth wrote:Is there anything we can do to incourage a reciprocal agreement or even a unilateral recognition of a particular state. I have an occasional need to travel to Maine and have held a CHL there, but Tx. and Me. don't recognise each other.
Not sure what the issue is, but will bet if they haven't already done it, they won't. Usually, this is due to a difference in some requirement for the license to be issued.

Maine has non-resident permits. Could you maybe get a non-resident license or possibly if you old license date is not expired, convert it from a resident to non-resident?
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

2farnorth
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 2farnorth »

Had to return my Maine liscense to the Chief of Police of the town I lived in after I sold the house there and moved back to Texas in 2005. I may consider the non-resident set -up eventually. I don't remember a non resident being an option when I was up there. I usually only go there for a couple of weeks every 3 years now. Maybe by then something will work out.
There were not that many differences between the Maine liscense and the Texas one. But Maine only recognises 6 other states for some reason.
N5PNZ

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

2farnorth wrote:Had to return my Maine liscense to the Chief of Police of the town I lived in after I sold the house there and moved back to Texas in 2005. I may consider the non-resident set -up eventually. I don't remember a non resident being an option when I was up there. I usually only go there for a couple of weeks every 3 years now. Maybe by then something will work out.
There were not that many differences between the Maine liscense and the Texas one. But Maine only recognises 6 other states for some reason.
Non-Res IS an option. I had one (as Texas CHL) for several years, but gave it up when I never set foot there. Actually, I've never set foot there in my life though I lived in NY & RI for 7 years. I really would like to get to Maine. It looks like beautiful state. I like New England and "Down East" from what I have seen/heard.... Then again Corsica seemed cool on the History Channel... "rlol" "rlol"
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

tacticool

Post by tacticool »

2farnorth wrote:Is there anything we can do to incourage a reciprocal agreement
Texas could revoke all the unilateral agreements, so the residents of the other state would have an incentive to lobby their state government to enter into a reciprocal agreement with Texas.
When in doubt
Vote them out!

Return to “Other States”