Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

New New Mexico Reciprocity Agreement

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

DPS has posted the new reciprocity agreement with New Mexico. As NM hinted, the new agreement states that CHL's issued to persons under 21 years of age or to non-citizens will not be recognized in their state.

Chas.

LSL
Posts in topic: 2

Re: New New Mexico Reciprocity Agreement

Post by LSL »

And, so I can understand the new reciprocity agreement between the states of New Mexico and Texas, as if I were a 6 year old --

Until or unless there are changes in the respective state laws --

If I am 21 years of age or older;
Have been issued, by my state, a permit to carry a concealed handgun;
I am a citizen of the United States; and
I obey the laws governing handguns of the respective state where I am located --

The valid permit to carry a concealed handgun issued by my state is to be recognized and acceptable in the other state -- in this case -- between New Mexico and Texas.

Do I see a road trip in my future?
Noli Voluntare Usque Vocaris / lsl
SA XDM 3.8c 9mm and Ruger LC9 -- each in a <tripleTholsters.com> IWB
Walther P22

Luggo1
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Luggo1 »

I wish Ohio could figure this simple compromise out....

Ray

Keith B
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Keith B »

LSL wrote:And, so I can understand the new reciprocity agreement between the states of New Mexico and Texas, as if I were a 6 year old --

Until or unless there are changes in the respective state laws --

If I am 21 years of age or older;
Have been issued, by my state, a permit to carry a concealed handgun;
I am a citizen of the United States; and
I obey the laws governing handguns of the respective state where I am located --

The valid permit to carry a concealed handgun issued by my state is to be recognized and acceptable in the other state -- in this case -- between New Mexico and Texas.

Do I see a road trip in my future?
Where are you getting this part? Everything I am seeing says New Mexico honors non-resident licenses as long as they meet their other requirements. So, for instance a person with a Texas non-resident license would be OK as long as they were over 21 and a US citizen.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

LSL
Posts in topic: 2

Post by LSL »

Keith --

My comments were specific to Texas and New Mexico, ergo, "my state" limiting where the permit/license was issued.

Having read Memorandum of Agreement between N.M. and Texas [click on the link in Charles' OP], I did pick up a condition, found on the second page, Condition 2 -- that the reciprocity by New Mexico was extended only "to a citizen of the United States," thus limiting someone, who in Texas was issued a CHL, to be excluded from this reciprocity, i.e., a foreign national residing in Texas.

Nothing that was in my follow-up to Charles' OP referenced to a Texas permit issued to any U.S. citizen who was unfortunate enough NOT to be a citizen of Texas.

Disclosure -- I am not a lawyer, but I try to break things down to the level of a 6 year old, so that I might more clearly understand what the heck is meant by all the whereases.

:txflag:
Noli Voluntare Usque Vocaris / lsl
SA XDM 3.8c 9mm and Ruger LC9 -- each in a <tripleTholsters.com> IWB
Walther P22

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Wasn't refering to non-citizens, I thought you were implying that non-residents (i.e. an Okie living in Oklahoma with only a Texas CHL) couldn't use it to carry in New Mexico even though they met the other requirements.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

AggieMM

Post by AggieMM »

Thanks for posting, I have updated the Reciprocity Map, added 21+ to NM:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4738" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ryan

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

AggieMM wrote:Thanks for posting, I have updated the Reciprocity Map, added 21+ to NM:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4738" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ryan
Thanks Ryan, we all appreciate you keeping the map up to date.

Chas.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Luggo1 wrote:I wish Ohio could figure this simple compromise out....
It is Texas that will not recognize Ohio, not the other way around.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Ohio doesn't recognize Texas licenses
Keith

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

Keith B wrote:Ohio doesn't recognize Texas licenses
So I cannot drive in Ohio? :biggrinjester:
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Purplehood wrote:
Keith B wrote:Ohio doesn't recognize Texas licenses
So I cannot drive in Ohio? :biggrinjester:
Not with your gun in the car.
Keith

mikey1969

Post by mikey1969 »

Question : the wording on the DPS website when talking about reciprocity uses the terms "citizens" with texas CHL having reciprocity with other states ...... how is the word citizen interpreted in this case ....... does it mean american citizens ???? ..... in my case i am a non immigrant alien with a CHL .... living in texas for nearly three years now ....... am i able to carry in other states where reciprocity exists ?

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

mikey1969 wrote:Question : the wording on the DPS website when talking about reciprocity uses the terms "citizens" with texas CHL having reciprocity with other states ...... how is the word citizen interpreted in this case ....... does it mean american citizens ???? ..... in my case i am a non immigrant alien with a CHL .... living in texas for nearly three years now ....... am i able to carry in other states where reciprocity exists ?
It would depend on the other states law, not Texas. When in another state, you must abide by all of their rules on carry, not Texas' rules.
Keith

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

mikey1969 wrote:Question : the wording on the DPS website when talking about reciprocity uses the terms "citizens" with texas CHL having reciprocity with other states ...... how is the word citizen interpreted in this case ....... does it mean american citizens ???? ..... in my case i am a non immigrant alien with a CHL .... living in texas for nearly three years now ....... am i able to carry in other states where reciprocity exists ?
For purposes of New Mexico, your Texas CHL will not be recognized. NM will only issue carry licenses to American citizens and they won't recognize other states' licenses issued to non-citizens.

Chas.

Return to “Other States”