Some Florida NRA Members Push For Tougher CHL Requirements

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
gthaustex
Posts in topic: 2

Some Florida NRA Members Push For Tougher CHL Requirements

Post by gthaustex »

Some Florida residents are pushing for tougher CHL competency / licensing requirements to obtain a Florida CHL. Marion Hammer, mentioned in a different thread by Charles Cotton is quoted in the article. This whole thing brings up the notion of licensing requirements, constitutional carry, etc.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/lifes ... say/nW79N/
Critics of the Florida system, including members of the National Rifle Association, say state law does not require enough training to prove “competence” with a handgun. That worries them. If sloppy handgun owners shoot first and think later, their mistakes could cause unintended deaths and jeopardize the rights of responsible gun owners.
The NRA’s Tallahassee lobbyist, Marion Hammer, says no changes to Florida’s concealed weapons licensing law are needed.
“There’s not one recorded case of an incident that resulted from a lack of training,” Hammer said. “We would oppose any change that would put more money in the pockets of instructors who think their course is better than anybody elses.”
Hammer said she was never specifically trained to use a handgun.

“It’s like driving a car,” Hammer said. “They all function essentially the same: point, aim, pull the trigger, fire.”

Caruso disagrees.

“If she wants to bury her head in the sand, that’s her business,” Caruso said. “You should see the ceiling in my gun range. Ninety percent of the people who come in here to buy a gun have no idea what they’re doing.”
I think Marion's comment is probably spot on when she talks about those who are against the current laws want more restrictions to funnel people into their programs.

-> Edited after reading Charles' comment on the thread title being misleading...
Last edited by gthaustex on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

AEA
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Florida NRA Members Push For Tougher CHL Requirements

Post by AEA »

I see this as the Dems trying to split the message from the NRA, causing confusion and moving their points forward.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

gthaustex wrote:Caruso disagrees.

“If she wants to bury her head in the sand, that’s her business,” Caruso said. “You should see the ceiling in my gun range. Ninety percent of the people who come in here to buy a gun have no idea what they’re doing.”

Sounds like Caruso needs to provide more training to his range officers if they are letting people shoot up his ceiling.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

FormerTSgt

Post by FormerTSgt »

**Retracted after clarification.**
Last edited by FormerTSgt on Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Former TSgt USAF Security Forces
Iraq Vet

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Keith B wrote:
gthaustex wrote:Caruso disagrees.

“If she wants to bury her head in the sand, that’s her business,” Caruso said. “You should see the ceiling in my gun range. Ninety percent of the people who come in here to buy a gun have no idea what they’re doing.

Sounds like Caruso needs to provide more training to his range officers if they are letting people shoot up his ceiling.
Especially if 90% shoot at the ceiling there.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

FormerTSgt wrote:While the NRA does a lot of good, they are by no means perfect. After all, Reid still has an A rating from them.
This is not the NRA stating this, it is a few of their members in Florida who have other interest in doing firearm training as income.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

If they want more training, teach it in high school and have college courses for it. Get a degree in gun handling.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

This is yet another example of the media's intellectual dishonesty. Using a title "Florida NRA Members Push . . ." sends the false message that a large number of NRA Members want more stringent CHL requirements, yet the article quotes only two people who claim to be NRA Members. It's also enlightening that those two people have a financial interest in requiring more training to obtain a Florida license.

Another example of intellectual dishonesty can be seen with this alleged quote from David D'Eugenio “Do you realize how different our conversation in Washington would be if everyone did what they’re supposed to do.[?]” Mr. D'Eugenio didn't say anything about additional training in Florida! (BTW, he also owns a training facility.) The article quotes a former LEO, Rosaire Badger, but it does not claim he is an NRA Member. Mr. Badger compares learning to drive with learning to shoot, ignoring the fact that one is deals with a constitutionally protected right while the other does not.

The entire thrust of the article is to mislead reader into believing that large number of NRA Members support tougher license laws in Florida and this is a lie.

Something apparently missed by everyone quoted in the article, other than Marion Hammer, is there is no problem to fix. Anytime a bill is filed that will restrict a citizen's rights, actions or liberty, or that will increase a burden, then the threshold question must be "what problem are we trying to fix?" When the answer is none, then the bill should fail.

Chas.

Topic author
gthaustex

Re: Some Florida NRA Members Push For Tougher CHL Requiremen

Post by gthaustex »

I edited the title after seeing Charles' comment. It was probably as misleading as the article itself in terms of how many NRA members were involved / interviewed. I'm glad they at least interviewed Marion Hammer who plainly stated there was no problem to fix.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

gthaustex wrote:I edited the title after seeing Charles' comment. It was probably as misleading as the article itself in terms of how many NRA members were involved / interviewed. I'm glad they at least interviewed Marion Hammer who plainly stated there was no problem to fix.
I wasn't complaining about the title you used; it's the article's theme that's bogus. Your title accurately conveyed the article's intent.

Chas.

FormerTSgt

Post by FormerTSgt »

Keith B wrote:
FormerTSgt wrote:While the NRA does a lot of good, they are by no means perfect. After all, Reid still has an A rating from them.
This is not the NRA stating this, it is a few of their members in Florida who have other interest in doing firearm training as income.
Thanks for the clarification. While the substance of my statement remains true, it has no bearing on this issue so I retract my statement.
Former TSgt USAF Security Forces
Iraq Vet

texasag93

Post by texasag93 »

Michael Moore is a member of the NRA... (at least he was, he is/was a Life member, he may have resigned it)... We all know he will say and do anything to take down the 2nd Amendment.
texasag93

remington79

Post by remington79 »

Sounds like those people are fudds. You know the gun owners that think only hunting arms should be allowed.
Sent to you from Galt's Gulch.

Return to “Other States”