Mutiple Non-Resident CHLs - My Latest Info

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
TEX
Posts in topic: 2

Mutiple Non-Resident CHLs - My Latest Info

Post by TEX »

Back when reciprocity agreements and out of state non-resident licenses started becoming available, I got a few I needed and then it turned into a bit of a contest to see just how many states I could get legal in. Over the years some of the non-resident CHLs became redundant or unnecessary. Presently I have enough licenses to get me into 40 of the 50 states and I believe I have just about pushed the limits (as far as I know) as to what can be obtained. I presently hold the following licenses

Texas – Arizona - Utah – Connecticut – Maine – New Hampshire

Other CHLs I held at one time were PA and FL (but they don’t get me any extra states now)

There are four free states (no CHL required) and they are (AK-AZ-VT-WY)

Texas CHL gets me good in the following 30 states (AL-AR-CO-DE-FL-GA-IA-ID-IN-KS-KY-LA-MI-MN-MO-MS-MT-NC-ND-NE-NM-OK-PA-SC-SD-TN-TX-UT-VA-WI)

My Arizona CHL gets me good in the following 2 states (OH-WV)

My Utah CHL only adds Washing state, but used to get me into Nevada also

My New Hampshire CHL gets me into NH only

My Connecticut CHL gets me into CT only

My Maine CHL gets me into ME only

If I want to get legal in Nevada I will now have to (at this time, get a NV non-resident license)

This leaves 3 other states where you can get a non-resident CHL, but probably not worth it

# 1 - Illinois will have non-resident CHLs available in January 2014, I believe, but it looks like a bunch of hoops have to be jumped through and looking at restricted places I have come to the conclusion that it is a joke and a slap in the face to law abiding gun owners. Still better than nothing I guess.

# 2 Massachusetts - $100 for 1 year (a total rip off & I never lost nothing in MA anyway)

# 3 Rhode Island – must apply in person (I will just drive around it)

That leaves about 9 other states or territories as follows

# 1 California – no non-resident CHLs, no reciprocity with others and even if you live there it is a pain to get one
# 2 Hawaii – Chuckle, chuckle, chuckle – AINT HAPPEN !
# 3 Maryland – can’t really get one
# 4 New Jersey – resident only – good luck
# 5 New York – resident only – good luck
# 7 Oregon – resident only
# 8 Washington DC – ya right! ROFLMAO
# 9 Puerto Rico – resident only – good luck

Oregon and Maryland have some open carry laws, but I am not in favor of open carry myself and it could end of being a legal minefield anyway.
There will be no peace until they love their children more than they hate us - Golda Meir

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Mutiple Non-Resident CHLs - My Latest Info

Post by chasfm11 »

I was looking at the other thread with the most concealed carry friendly State rankings and Maine at least pops out.

The problem with both Maine and Conn. is getting there. No way would I fly in and driving it puts you in some very gun unfriendly territory. I don't have a lot of faith in NJ or NY honoring FOPA and NJ bans any hollowpoint ammo by civilians.

I'm still considering getting a Utah non-resident because it would add Ohio and we may want to drive through there in the RV. It would also give me Washington but considering CA and Oregon, the possible routes to get there are pretty limited.

With the current political climate in MD, it would be pretty much suicidal to think about OC there. You might get away with it in part of Western MD and I doubt that it would raise any eyebrows on the Eastern Shore. For me, Oregon is pretty much of an extension of CA and the last thing that I would risk would be OC there.

NJ is a great example of rampant stupidity. You cannot pump your own gas there for "safety reasons". Firearms are pretty much treated the same way. They really want to protect you from yourself.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

TEX wrote:My Arizona CHL gets me good in the following 2 states (OH-WV)

My Utah CHL only adds Washing state, but used to get me into Nevada also
The bad news is your AZ non-resident CHL is not valid in Ohio. Ohio does not accept non-resident AZ licenses. The OH-AZ reciprocity agreement specifies each state will extend recognition to residents of the other state.

The good news is your UT non-resident license is valid in Ohio.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Topic author
TEX

Post by TEX »

Thanks for the correction. I will make a note of it in my CHL binder.
There will be no peace until they love their children more than they hate us - Golda Meir

CedarElm7
Posts in topic: 4

Post by CedarElm7 »

Tex, I appreciate your information in this thread. I'm working to accomplish the same thing--get as many states as possible.
*Texas CHL* *NRA* *TSRA* *SAF* *GOA* *NSSF* Μολών Λαβέ

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

CedarElm7 wrote:Tex, I appreciate your information in this thread. I'm working to accomplish the same thing--get as many states as possible.
Why? You travel a lot, do you?

The Walrus

Post by The Walrus »

Oldgringo wrote:
CedarElm7 wrote:Tex, I appreciate your information in this thread. I'm working to accomplish the same thing--get as many states as possible.
Why? You travel a lot, do you?
Some people collect baseball cards. Some people collect Pokémon cards. At least his cards have a practical use. :mrgreen:

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

Interesting.. What state was the easiest?

tarkus

Post by tarkus »

texanjoker wrote:Interesting.. What state was the easiest?
If you already had a Texas CHL, it was easy and cheap to get a Pennsylvania permit when they offered them through the mail. It's still fairly easy if you're going to be passing through or visiting certain counties in PA during business hours.

Florida is easy but not much cheaper than Texas once you're past the first seven years.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it's on the internet, thank a geek.

CedarElm7

Post by CedarElm7 »

The Walrus wrote: Some people collect baseball cards. Some people collect Pokémon cards. At least his cards have a practical use. :mrgreen:
Walrus, :lol: there's actually a degree of truth in that! It kind of gets to be a challenge after a while ... and an enjoyable one, at that!

OldGringo, my wife and I have an RV, and we do travel. One of our daughters and her family live on the east coast. So, there is a practical side to my OCD. ;-)

Plus, to be honest, I kind of take pride in being one of the "good guys" in the various states who qualifies for a concealed carry license. :patriot:

And finally ... I look at the various states' licenses as tools to assist me in getting safely BACK HOME TO TEXAS!!! :txflag:

CedarElm7

Post by CedarElm7 »

texanjoker wrote:Interesting.. What state was the easiest?
So far, the two easiest have been Virginia (as expected) and New Hampshire (a pleasant surprise).

btw, I don't necessarily recommend this course of action for everyone--it's just something I've chosen to do. There is a disadvantage to doing this ... if you are turned down by a state, you may have to list that rejection on your other state applications or renewal applications, and it's always possible that such a rejection would trigger a delay, for instance, in your Texas renewal. So it might be better to not apply to multiple states if you are concerned that you might be denied. After all, our Texas CHL gets us 35 states (Texas and 34 others) all by itself--not bad at all!

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

CedarElm7 wrote:
The Walrus wrote: Some people collect baseball cards. Some people collect Pokémon cards. At least his cards have a practical use. :mrgreen:
Walrus, :lol: there's actually a degree of truth in that! It kind of gets to be a challenge after a while ... and an enjoyable one, at that!

OldGringo, my wife and I have an RV, and we do travel. One of our daughters and her family live on the east coast. So, there is a practical side to my OCD. ;-)

Plus, to be honest, I kind of take pride in being one of the "good guys" in the various states who qualifies for a concealed carry license. :patriot:

And finally ... I look at the various states' licenses as tools to assist me in getting safely BACK HOME TO TEXAS!!! :txflag:
We also have a RV and spend about 6 months a year in it. We don't take our RV, honky-donkeys or money where our Texas CH licenses are not welcome.

CedarElm7

Post by CedarElm7 »

Understandable. We're forced into it if we want to CC when we go to see our grandchildren.

txhusker

Post by txhusker »

I actually do travel a lot, and like to carry for protection whenever I do (plus I attend gun shows in other states when I have a chance...like to collect...I have my FFL 03 license). Anyway, I have all the licenses mentioned (TX, AZ, FL, UT, NH, ME, CT), plus I also have my MA (yes, it is expensive and has to be renewed annually...but I travel to New England every year). I have submitted all the paperwork and done the live fire training for RI recently (hoped to get approval by May..I will travel out to pick it up and submit my MA renewal at the same time). I am in Nevada this March and will submit my paperwork and do my training in Las Vegas (should have that license by July). That would give me 43 states before the summer's end I could carry in!

I did my training and fingerprinting in IL in December (and got my IL digital ID and signed affidavit of good character), so I am ready to go if the IL State Police ever gets going on accepting non-resident applications (or if the IL legislature makes them).

The one allusive state is OR. I am there on vacation in August. My understanding of OR firearm law is, that you can apply as a resident (currently only WA, CA, ID & NV non residents can apply) if you meet certain criteria. One of the criteria is owning or LEASING real property (and obviously the documentation to prove it). I did some checking on OR RE law and that includes timeshares! Well, the week I will be staying in Clackamas County, OR (near Mt. Hood) at a timeshare property, meets every definition of LEASING real property, so while I am there I am going to make an appointment at the county sherrif's CHL unit at the Public Service Training Center in Clackamas, OR to submit an application (with a copy of my lease agreement, NRA training certificate, etc.). With any luck they will accept this (plus my $65), process it within 45 days and send me the license. I guess the worst they can say is no and I am not out anything!

UPDATE (09-08-14) I got my NV non resident license in July, my RI non resident license in August and just got my MA non resident license (renewal) in the mail today! I am legal in 43 states...now if I can just get that OR license (still plan to go there next year)! Getting the IL non resident license looks like a non-starter at this point (TX doesn't have a statute/law to prohibit citizens from CC who have had a "Voluntarily Mental Health Admission in the last 5 Years").
Last edited by txhusker on Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Oldgringo wrote:
CedarElm7 wrote:

We also have a RV and spend about 6 months a year in it. We don't take our RV, honky-donkeys or money where our Texas CH licenses are not welcome.
I know what RVs and money is, but ....?
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “Other States”