Way to go, Volunteers! (Open carry passed TN Senate)

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 1

Way to go, Volunteers! (Open carry passed TN Senate)

Post by Vol Texan »

As you can tell by my username, I do love Texas, but I still bleed Tennessee Orange. I hope that with a (R) House and a (R) governor, this would pass easily.

I'd probably never OC, but it is nice to see when state-imposed restrictions on our rights are (on the way to being) removed.

http://www.wjhl.com/story/25194285/tn-s ... out-permit
The Tennessee Senate has passed a bill to allow Tennesseans to openly carry guns without a state-issued permit.

The chamber voted 25-2 in favor of the bill sponsored by Republican Sen. Mae Beavers of Mt. Juliet.

Beavers said the measure would keep the background checks and training requirements in order to carry concealed firearms, but would allow anyone legally allowed to own a gun to carry it openly.

The bill would also remove state restrictions on the location of ammunition when firearms are being transported in vehicles, and would allow guns to be removed from cars on school property for the purposes of moving storing them in another part of the vehicle.

The companion bill is awaiting a vote in the budget subcommittee of the House Finance Committee.
Last edited by Vol Texan on Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Way to go, Volunteers!

Post by WildBill »

Vol Texan wrote:As you can tell by my username, I do love Texas, but I still bleed Tennessee Orange.

The Tennessee Senate has passed a bill to allow Tennesseans to openly carry guns without a state-issued permit.

The chamber voted 25-2 in favor of the bill sponsored by Republican Sen. Mae Beavers of Mt. Juliet.

Beavers said the measure would keep the background checks and training requirements in order to carry concealed firearms, but would allow anyone legally allowed to own a gun to carry it openly.

The bill would also remove state restrictions on the location of ammunition when firearms are being transported in vehicles, and would allow guns to be removed from cars on school property for the purposes of moving storing them in another part of the vehicle.

The companion bill is awaiting a vote in the budget subcommittee of the House Finance Committee.
Good news!

BTW I don't know why, but I always thought Vol was for volume. :???:
NRA Endowment Member

jmra

Re: Way to go, Volunteers! (Open carry passed TN Senate)

Post by jmra »

Will follow this to see if it makes it to the Govs desk.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

bauer

Post by bauer »

While I don't bleed orange, I grew up around and attended the University of Memphis, I will always love Tennessee. My parents and siblings still live there and we travel back to the burbs of Memphis quite often. Glad to see that the state is attempting to make strides towards giving citizens their natural rights back. That being said, I personally would never open carry there or anywhere for that matter especially not Memphis proper.
R.I.P SSG Ward 6 Apr 2013
"Garry Owen"

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

bauer wrote:While I don't bleed orange, I grew up around and attended the University of Memphis, I will always love Tennessee. My parents and siblings still live there and we travel back to the burbs of Memphis quite often. Glad to see that the state is attempting to make strides towards giving citizens their natural rights back. That being said, I personally would never open carry there or anywhere for that matter especially not Memphis proper.
There are many areas of Memphis you need to openly carry 2 side arms and an AR-15 if you get out of your APC. :banghead:

I think this will meet a ton of opposition. When the bill to allow concealed carry in restaurants that served even small amounts of alcohol was introduced there were numerous restaurant owners that made sure to rally together and post their restaurants off-limits for concealed carry. While it will more than likely pass due to the large amount of unincorporated and rural areas in Tennessee, I think this will meet the same death from a business standpoint and cause a lot more signs to be posted to prohibit open OR concealed carry.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Keith B wrote:
bauer wrote:While I don't bleed orange, I grew up around and attended the University of Memphis, I will always love Tennessee. My parents and siblings still live there and we travel back to the burbs of Memphis quite often. Glad to see that the state is attempting to make strides towards giving citizens their natural rights back. That being said, I personally would never open carry there or anywhere for that matter especially not Memphis proper.
There are many areas of Memphis you need to openly carry 2 side arms and an AR-15 if you get out of your APC. :banghead:

I think this will meet a ton of opposition. When the bill to allow concealed carry in restaurants that served even small amounts of alcohol was introduced there were numerous restaurant owners that made sure to rally together and post their restaurants off-limits for concealed carry. While it will more than likely pass due to the large amount of unincorporated and rural areas in Tennessee, I think this will meet the same death from a business standpoint and cause a lot more signs to be posted to prohibit open OR concealed carry.
I understand your point But I personally prefer businesses that wish to restrict firearms to do so openly instead of hiding behind the legislature as they often seem to do. As much as I'm angry about Sprouts for putting up 30.06 signs, it gives us a chance to respond accordingly if we choose to do so. I can CC in Texas in places without signs and it would be better still if I weren't statutorily prohibited in places without signs. So while TN will likely have places that want to and will control OC, there will be places that don't and at least those who wish to OC where those signs aren't won't get arrested or harassed - hopefully. I'm very glad that we have CC here but sometime and somehow we need to start introducing the public to the sight of firearms. It seems like TN is just a step further down that path than we are.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

WildBill wrote:
Vol Texan wrote:As you can tell by my username, I do love Texas, but I still bleed Tennessee Orange.

Good news!

:roll: In this context, VOL is short for Volunteer as in Davy Crockett and his VOLunteers at that Alamo thinghy back in 1836.

GO VOLS, BSCE '67

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Oldgringo wrote:
WildBill wrote:

Good news!

:roll: In this context, VOL is short for Volunteer as in Davy Crockett and his VOLunteers at that Alamo thinghy back in 1836.

GO VOLS, BSCE '67
Okay. I finally get it.
NRA Endowment Member

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

Open Carry Without Permit Dies in TN

http://www.conservativefiringline.com/h ... arry-bill/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Haslam’s ‘policy maneuver’ kills Tennessee’s open-carry bill
It’s reported the governor’s administration attached what was called a “$100,000 anchor” to the pending open-carry bill that’s stalled the legislation.
Boo.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

bauer

Post by bauer »

Keith B wrote: There are many areas of Memphis you need to openly carry 2 side arms and an AR-15 if you get out of your APC. :banghead:

There are areas of Memphis that I will drive 30 mins out of the way to avoid. Those same areas are ones that I know for a fact Memphis PD refuses to patrol and will only venture into in order to respond to emergencies, even then, no less than three patrol cars respond. Alas, I digress...

Really wish it had passed, not because I fancy the idea of OC myself, but because it represents citizens being given their Constitutional rights back. Give it some time and I'm sure like you said the unincorporated and rural areas will eventually get it through.
R.I.P SSG Ward 6 Apr 2013
"Garry Owen"

Return to “Other States”