Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
redsox1701
Posts in topic: 3

Moving from Arizona

Post by redsox1701 »

I need a little help,

I am moving to Houston from Arizona in a couple months. I already have my Arizona CHL. When I move and become a resident of Texas will my Arizona CHL become invalid? And when I apply for a Texas CHL, do I have to take the class just like if I never had a CHL?

Thanks

Wodathunkit
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Moving from Arizona

Post by Wodathunkit »

redsox1701 wrote:I need a little help,

I am moving to Houston from Arizona in a couple months. I already have my Arizona CHL. When I move and become a resident of Texas will my Arizona CHL become invalid? And when I apply for a Texas CHL, do I have to take the class just like if I never had a CHL?

Thanks
Welcome to Texas! I cannot speak to your Arizona license. You will need to get a Texas CHL if/when you become a resident.
"Character is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking" - J.C. watts Jr.
CHL since Jan. 2013
53 days mailbox to mailbox.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

Thanks
Welcome to the forum. :tiphat:

This page gives you some informaiton http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/arizona.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Looks like they issue non-resident permits, so you would need to contact them and see how you can convert your resident Arizona permit to a non-resident one.

If you can convert it you will be valid to carry here in Texas as Texas honors the Arizona permit. You will have the same restrictions you do now when carrying in Texas on a non-resident permit.

As for a Teaxs CHL, you will be required to take a Texas class to obtain one.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Keith B wrote:

Thanks
Welcome to the forum. :tiphat:

This page gives you some informaiton http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/arizona.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Looks like they issue non-resident permits, so you would need to contact them and see how you can convert your resident Arizona permit to a non-resident one.

If you can convert it you will be valid to carry here in Texas as Texas honors the Arizona permit. You will have the same restrictions you do now when carrying in Texas on a non-resident permit.

As for a Teaxs CHL, you will be required to take a Texas class to obtain one.
:iagree: Welcome to the forum. and Texas. :txflag:
NRA Endowment Member

Dori

Post by Dori »

Thanks
Welcome. Most of the class covers Texas law and I think there are enough differences it's worth taking the class even if you carry on your Arizona license. I also suggest shopping around for a good instructor. The cost isn't much different than the hacks but what you get for your time and money is worlds apart.

Topic author
redsox1701

Post by redsox1701 »

Dori wrote:

Thanks
Welcome. Most of the class covers Texas law and I think there are enough differences it's worth taking the class even if you carry on your Arizona license. I also suggest shopping around for a good instructor. The cost isn't much different than the hacks but what you get for your time and money is worlds apart.

In that case, anyone have any recommendations for a good instructor in The Woodlands, North Houston?

Thanks

Jaguar

Post by Jaguar »

I believe the owner of this board, Charles Cotton, teaches CHL classes in Houston. I'd expect you would be hard pressed to find better.
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

howdy

Post by howdy »

I met the chief instructor at Gander Mountain on I-45 North of Houston when I was going through my Instructor requal. He was a sharp guy and very knowledgeable. I can't comment on his course quality. Charles teaches in Pearland which is in South Houston. Well worth the drive though.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

redsox1701 wrote: In that case, anyone have any recommendations for a good instructor in The Woodlands, North Houston?
I live in the Klein area, roughly the same drive.

I drove to PSC and took Charles Cotton's class. Big thumbs up and well worth the drive. I appreciated learning the Texas laws from the attorney who was centrally involved in getting them passed. If you want to know what proper use of deadly force really entails, he is a reputable and reliable teacher. :thumbs2:
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

howdy wrote:I met the chief instructor at Gander Mountain on I-45 North of Houston when I was going through my Instructor requal. He was a sharp guy and very knowledgeable. I can't comment on his course quality. Charles teaches in Pearland which is in South Houston. Well worth the drive though.
Actually Friendswood. I have taken several courses from Charles and he is an excellent instructor.

The Houston metro covers a lot of area. Which area will you live?
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
redsox1701

Post by redsox1701 »

WildBill wrote:
howdy wrote:I met the chief instructor at Gander Mountain on I-45 North of Houston when I was going through my Instructor requal. He was a sharp guy and very knowledgeable. I can't comment on his course quality. Charles teaches in Pearland which is in South Houston. Well worth the drive though.
Actually Friendswood. I have taken several courses from Charles and he is an excellent instructor.

I will be living in The Woodlands

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

redsox1701 wrote:
WildBill wrote:

Welcome to Texas. :txflag:
The Woodlands is a bit of a drive from Friendswood. But you only have to do it one day to get your CHL and the traffic won't be too bad on a Saturday. :thumbs2:
NRA Endowment Member

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

redsox1701 wrote:
WildBill wrote:

It will be a bit of a drive, but if it's a Saturday the traffic won't be bad. And, Charles is not just a great instructor, he is a key player who works year after year with our Texas State Rifle Association PAC and our leigislature to help pass pro-2A laws, AND, he is the owner of this forum. You won't find an individual that knows more about CHL in texas than Charles. :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “Other States”