PA License to Carry Firearms

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
ralewis
Posts in topic: 3

PA License to Carry Firearms

Post by ralewis »

I'm in PA for a few weeks, and decided to go with my dad when he renewed his License to Carry in Luzerne County PA (Wilkes-Barre). I figured I'd see about applying for a non-resident LTC myself… I spend about 3-4 weeks/year in PA.

Process was unbelievably simple…. Filled out the form, gave copies of my TX CHL and DL, and paid $20. I walked out of there with an identical looking license to my dad's.

The Sheriff's deputy who I worked with on the paperwork asked me about the TX CHL program (apparently, he'd never seen a TX CHL guy get a PA LTC before). I told him it was more expensive, required a training class/fingerprints/background check…. He said he wished PA would do that (to which I replied I'm surprised TX even has an agreement with PA) so the lines would be shorter for folks getting licenses. There were about 10 folks behind me in line getting licenses.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 2

Re: PA License to Carry Firearms

Post by RoyGBiv »

Cool.

Looking at reciprocity, it appears you don't pick up any additional states with a PA permit on top of an existing TX permit.
That may explain why the LEO had not seen a TX CHL applicant previously.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

bayouhazard
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bayouhazard »

Center County used to do a lot when mailed applications were legal.

jmra

Post by jmra »

RoyGBiv wrote:Cool.

Looking at reciprocity, it appears you don't pick up any additional states with a PA permit on top of an existing TX permit.
He does pick up a "spare" though which he could use if he lost one or didn't get it renewed in time.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
ralewis

Post by ralewis »

jmra wrote:

He does pick up a "spare" though which he could use if he lost one or didn't get it renewed in time.
The other thing I think I get is the school zone exemption where you need to have a license issued by the state the school is in. The place I'm staying is about 2000 feet from 2 schools. I could hardly travel in any direction without violating the 1000ft school zone Federal Law.

"Title 18 U.S.C. §922(q) known as "The Federal Gun Free School Zones Act" is a federal law, currently in effect, which makes it illegal for an armed citizen to be within a "school zone" as defined by Title 18 U.S.C. §921(25). "

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RoyGBiv »

jmra wrote:

True. My FL permit cost a lot more than $20 to renew.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
ralewis

Post by ralewis »

Drove back from PA this past weekend…

Decided to avoid MD and the unloading and storing of the 2 pistols I had with me for the 11 miles in MD. This route avoids MD and goes thru the FREE states of West Virginia and Kentucky to get to Nashville.

Aside from being a very nice drive and much less annoying than the I81 stretch thru VA, it was no longer time wise than we've done going thru MD. Definitely endorse this route for anyone doing the road trip.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Wilkes- ... 126317!3e0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mikeloc

Post by mikeloc »

In the late 1990's and early 2000's you could gain more states by getting a Pennsylvania license. At the time Texas did not have reciprocity with any states. Slowly we added Oklahoma, New Mexico, Louisiana, Arkansas, Tennessee, and Florida. At that time you could get a Pennsylvania license just my mailing a copy of your Texas license and twenty dollars to one of the county sheriff's office in Pennsylvania. It never hurts to have extra license.

Mike

Return to “Other States”