Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

New Chart: OC by State, and CC Reciprocity

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I spent all day on this today.

http://www.whamproductions.com/images/p ... rocity.pdf.

This PDF was exported from an Apple Numbers source file. I also have it in XLS format. It's a lot easier to read as a spreadsheet than as a PDF. If anyone wants a spreadsheet, PM me with your email address, and I'll email you a copy. Be sure to specify either XLS or Numbers format.

Chart Contents:
So, what I did was create a spreadsheet of all 50 states plus DC. Choose your state of residence from the horizontal row at the top, and scroll down in that column to see what states honor your state's resident concealed carry permit. Additionally, all of the states are color coded by whether they have unlicensed OC, licensed OC, zero OC, or OC status still in dispute. There are additional icons indicating whether the given state has any known preemption issues, tribal law issues, etc.

The list of variables is NOT complete, but it is a decent selection.

I grant permission to use either spreadsheet to anyone who asks me via PM for it, with the following two provisos:
  1. You promise to let me know if you make any improvements to it or have constructive suggestions that would fit within the scope of what I've already done. (It took me from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. today to do this, so I'm definitely not going to do any major changes in format to this thing.)
  2. You promise to let me know if any of the information I have shown here is either grossly inaccurate, or needs to be updated.
  3. You understand that I am NOT a lawyer, this is NOT legal advice, and you accept ALL risk for using the information on it. I have tried to make this as accurate as I know how, but I had limited resources. All information was obained from one of the following three sources, and I cannot vouch for its complete accuracy:
    1. OpenCarry.org
    2. HangunLaw.us
    3. Wikipedia.org
I want to try and keep this project as current as possible, without making it too big, so as to be a handy resource for people. I haven't even thought about it long enough to figure what that all means.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Jim Beaux
Posts in topic: 1

Re: New Chart: OC by State, and CC Reciprocity

Post by Jim Beaux »

Very nice. I travel the U.S. and this chart will be put to a lot of use.

Suggestion: It would make indexing easier & save a lot of lateral scrolling if the rows had the state names labeled in each cell. This would allow us to use the chart on our cell phone.

Thanks TAM :tiphat:
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

Jim Beaux wrote:Very nice. I travel the U.S. and this chart will be put to a lot of use.

Suggestion: It would make indexing easier & save a lot of lateral scrolling if the rows had the state names labeled in each cell. This would allow us to use the chart on our cell phone.

Thanks TAM :tiphat:
Hi Jim,

That PDF in my OP was just for demonstration purposes so people can see what I've done in a general way. I'll include your suggestion about state names in each cell if there's room in my next update. However, if your mobile device has a spreadsheet app on it, I can send you the source file in one of two versions:

1. ".XLS" for Microsoft Excel
2. ".numbers" for Apple Numbers

There are mobile app versions for both programs available. I built the file using Numbers, because I'm on a Mac. Numbers will open, edit, and save Excel files, and I can always export my Numbers file into either XLS or XLSX format. I went with the former, since it would be available to older versions of Excel.

If you are on an iOS device and have the "Numbers" spreadsheet app, it actually scrolls the chart horizontally and vertically while pinning the header row and the first column on the left, so that you can navigate on a small screen without losing the header information, and you can zoom in to view a specific match.

I don't use Excel (don't need it, as long as I have Numbers), so I can't swear that the XLS file will perform the same on a mobile device as the Numbers file does, but I offer it in both formats.

PM me with your email address, and I'll send you either the XLS or the Numbers file, whichever you prefer.

Here's a screen shot from my iPhone 5s, zoomed in to a particular state/state match:

ETA: The column for Vermont is a bit deceptive. Vermont does not recognize any other state's permit, just like Washington DC does not. However, Vermont does not require a permit of any kind to CC OR OC, and there is no residency requirement. It has TRUE constitutional carry. So, Vermont does not recognize your Texas CHL........because it does not NEED to, and you don't need to worry about it if you are visiting Vermont. HOWEVER.....because Vermont does not have a CCW law on the books, Vermont does not issue any kind of permit, and therefore Vermonters cannot carry in Texas, or any other states except Arizona, Alaska, and Oklahoma (and I'm not sure how that works for OK, since OK still has licensed OC and CC.).
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

D.C. Is not in your graph.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

MeMelYup wrote:D.C. Is not in your graph.
He only lists states, not districts. ;-)
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

MeMelYup wrote:D.C. Is not in your graph.
Actually, it is in the graph, far right column

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

sbrawley wrote:
HOWEVER.....because Vermont does not have a CCW law on the books, Vermont does not issue any kind of permit, and therefore Vermonters cannot carry in Texas, or any other states except Arizona, Alaska, and Oklahoma (and I'm not sure how that works for OK, since OK still has licensed OC and CC.).
TAM,
Oklahoma recognizes those states that do not issue permits and allows them to carry. It is their DPS's responsibility to maintain an updated list of states that do not issue permits.

Here is a portion of their statute:
"TITLE 21 § 1290.26 RECIPROCAL AGREEMENT AUTHORITY
The State of Oklahoma hereby recognizes any valid concealed or unconcealed carry weapons permit or license issued by another state, or if the state is a nonpermitting carry state, this state shall reciprocate under the permitting law of that state.. . .
The Department of Public Safety shall keep a current list of non-permitting states for law enforcement officers to confirm that a state is nonpermitting."
http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA_La ... V_2013.pdf
Thanks for the clarification. That explains it. I will add a note about that to my form.

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Other States”