Missouri Strengthens RKBA in State Constitituion

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 1

Missouri Strengthens RKBA in State Constitituion

Post by ELB »

Missouri had a referendum on a legislatively-sponsored amendment to the Missouri state constitution. It overwhelmingly passed the popular vote with nearly 61% voting to approve it.

The amendment language: (NOTE - The part in BOLD RED was DELETED from the constitution; our forum editor software does not allow "strike-through" text, at least I can't find it. The parts in BOLD BLUE were added.

Section 23. That the right of every citizen to keep and bear arms, ammunition, and accessories typical to the normal function of such arms, in defense of his home, person, family and property, or when lawfully summoned in aid of the civil power, shall not be questioned; but this shall not justify the wearing of concealed weapons. The rights guaranteed by this section shall be unalienable. Any restriction on these rights shall be subject to strict scrutiny and the state of Missouri shall be obligated to uphold these rights and shall under no circumstances decline to protect against their infringement. Nothing in this section shall be construed to prevent the general assembly from enacting general laws which limit the rights of convicted violent felons or those duly adjudged mentally infirm by a court of competent jurisdiction.

Ballotpedia report here: http://ballotpedia.org/Missouri_Right_t ... st_2014%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dave Hardy's take on it here: http://armsandthelaw.com/archives/2014/ ... amends.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
USAF 1982-2005

mojo84
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Missouri Strengthens RKBA in State Constitituion

Post by mojo84 »

I like it. Especially the part saying, "shall not be questioned".

This part is strong also.
The rights guaranteed by this section shall be unalienable. Any restriction on these rights shall be subject to strict scrutiny and the state of Missouri shall be obligated to uphold these rights and shall under no circumstances decline to protect against their infringement.
Last edited by mojo84 on Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

This sounds like "Constitutional Carry" has passed in Missouri - if I read it correctly (I welcome any corrections if I've read it wrong).

When it says, "That the right of every citizen to keep and bear...", I wonder if it means any US citizen or any citizen of Missouri.

Interestingly enough, it does not include permanent residents (green card holders) who may be well under the way to legal citizenship, but have not yet crossed that milestone.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Me Likee :hurry:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

jamminbutter

Post by jamminbutter »

All it takes is one activist federal judge to declare it against some made up portion of the USC.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

That sounds great for Missourians. Are there so many liberals here in Texas that we could not get something like this passed?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

This is just an opinion based on speculation on my part. I'm starting to think there just isn't enough benefit to the individual legislators for them to give rkba issues enough attention and support to make big strides at any one time. The return to the legislators doesn't justify the political capital that it would take. Therefore, we have to push for baby steps like we have been.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

ryanj

Post by ryanj »

It does indeed sound like constitutional carry, but they've also nixed any potential future ammo and magazine bans.

Also pay attention to the part about "violent felons." Almost sounds like they're challenging ineligibility for non-violent felonies

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

It does make invalid the likes of California law and elsewhere, about confiscating gun owned by a person under restraining order.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Actually, Missouri has always been an open carry state. They have concealed and open car carry for unlicensed as well. Concealed carry will still require a license. The only thing I am not sure about is how this impacts open carry for cities that had it banned. I am thinking it now invalidates their city ordinances and you will be able to open carry on any public property in any city.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

Keith B wrote:Actually, Missouri has always been an open carry state. They have concealed and open car carry for unlicensed as well. Concealed carry will still require a license. The only thing I am not sure about is how this impacts open carry for cities that had it banned. I am thinking it now invalidates their city ordinances and you will be able to open carry on any public property in any city.

The minute this is proven true I'll be sure to post a picture of my first ever (in Missouri, I did OC once while we lived in WY) OC Wally Walk. No real reason to ever OC, but I've gotta do it just because.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

SigM4 wrote:
Keith B wrote:Actually, Missouri has always been an open carry state. They have concealed and open car carry for unlicensed as well. Concealed carry will still require a license. The only thing I am not sure about is how this impacts open carry for cities that had it banned. I am thinking it now invalidates their city ordinances and you will be able to open carry on any public property in any city.

The minute this is proven true I'll be sure to post a picture of my first ever (in Missouri, I did OC once while we lived in WY) OC Wally Walk. No real reason to ever OC, but I've gotta do it just because.
Springfield is legal to OC. However, not sure how well it is received in the stores. Bass Pro is probably fine. Battlefield Mall is NOT OC friendly.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

RottenApple

Post by RottenApple »

SigM4 wrote:

I have OC'd in a Spingfield Walmart with no problems. Even had a nice discussion with an off duty cop (who also OC'd) while in line.

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

SigM4 wrote:

Recently KC, MO had their Council Vote 9-0 to make OC Illegal in KC. Just a few days before this Constitutional amendment passed. :evil2:
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

Keith B wrote: Springfield is legal to OC. However, not sure how well it is received in the stores. Bass Pro is probably fine. Battlefield Mall is NOT OC friendly.
That's good to know. We live down in Nixa and I know both Nixa and Ozark have prohibitions against it, however Christian County does not. Honestly MO is kind of a minefield as far as OC is concerned so I've never bothered to look up the statutes for all the different municipalities. Not really a big OC advocate (though I do believe it should legal to anyone who wants to partake) so I tend to focus on CC regulations.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Return to “Other States”