Missouri Lawakers Override Governors Veto

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Missouri Lawakers Override Governors Veto

Post by The Annoyed Man »

nightmare wrote:
mojo84 wrote:What's your point? They don't let them carry on base.
:headscratch What's your point? College students can't carry in class in Texas.
But maybe they should be able to if they are over 21 and duly licensed by the state of Texas to carry concealed. Are you saying that the minimum age for a CHL should be raised to something older than 21?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

19 is much better than 21 and a lot closer to 18, where it should be.
III

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 1

Post by anygunanywhere »

rbwhatever1 wrote:19 is much better than 21 and a lot closer to 18, where it should be.
I do not remember an age limit on the Second Amendment.

Many in the military below the age of 18 have served and died for this country.

Maturity or stupidity is not age related.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

My input: I wish my 18 year old Granddaughter could carry. Now, especially since she's gotten her drivers license.

She's always been very responsible.

I cringe knowing she's driving by herself without being armed.

It just now occurs to me to ask: Can she legally keep a concealed loaded long gun, i.e., rifle or shotgun, with her in whatever vehicle she's driving?

mojo84
Posts in topic: 16

Post by mojo84 »

You will have to confirm but for some reason, I'm thinking she can keep a handgun in the car as long as you give it to her and allow it. Like I said, I may be wrong on this but it is worth checking into.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Topic author
Keith B
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Keith B »

mojo84 wrote:You will have to confirm but for some reason, I'm thinking she can keep a handgun in the car as long as you give it to her and allow it. Like I said, I may be wrong on this but it is worth checking into.
This is correct. In Texas there is no age listed for MPA. So, as long as she is not under 17 and can legally posses the handgun, then she keep it concealed in the vehicle.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

LDB415
Posts in topic: 7

Post by LDB415 »

On the one hand I want every privilege we should have. On the other hand I know the brain doesn't fully finish developing until around age 25. I know many 19 year olds are mature and responsible most of the time but they are still teenagers who aren't fully mature. Having been one myself long ago, and knowing many many others, I'm not sure they are ready as a universal rule which this would be.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

Keith B wrote:I have a couple of very good friends that are legislators in Missouri. They are both very pro 2A as are the majority of the others in both the House and Senate. Even a large part of the Democrats in the legislature are gun people as Missouri is predominantly rural and there is a lot of agriculture and hunting. Surprisingly, the Democrat Governor is actually pretty pro-gun, but the liberal Democrats got to him and the lobbyists for the schools swayed him to veto the bill due to the pressure of the anti's not wanting teachers to be able to carry. He must be getting soft as he was one of the main driving forces behind the original concealed carry bill passing in 2005.
Or, they made a deal for him to veto it knowing they were going to override the veto.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

oohrah
Posts in topic: 1

Post by oohrah »

There are some 30 year olds that aren't responsible, and so on ... I think if you're old enough to be drafted, to vote, to serve, you ought to be treated like an adult and be responsible for your personal actions. That means drinking, firearms, driving, etc.

added: the 19 year old thing may affect reciprocity with Texas.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

LDB415
Posts in topic: 7

Post by LDB415 »

Yes, and that's the problem, maturity or the lack thereof which is difficult to determine and can't be quantified for the CHL process. Just commenting on what concerns me.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

mojo84 and Keith B - Thank you both!

victory

Post by victory »

Keith B wrote:
mojo84 wrote:You will have to confirm but for some reason, I'm thinking she can keep a handgun in the car as long as you give it to her and allow it. Like I said, I may be wrong on this but it is worth checking into.
This is correct. In Texas there is no age listed for MPA. So, as long as she is not under 17 and can legally posses the handgun, then she keep it concealed in the vehicle.
What law prohibits a licensed driver under 17 from carrying under MPA?

Topic author
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

victory wrote:
Keith B wrote:
What law prohibits a licensed driver under 17 from carrying under MPA?
Actually, sorry. it's under 18
Sec. 46.06. UNLAWFUL TRANSFER OF CERTAIN WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person:
(2) intentionally or knowingly sells, rents, leases, or gives or offers to sell, rent, lease, or give to any child younger than 18 years any firearm, club, or illegal knife;
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

I have conflicting opinions. I support constitutional carry, but find justification in limiting carry rights for 18 -21 year old civilians. This age group is transitioning from being kids confined by high school rules to becoming young adults adjusting to new rules....and oftentimes their path has big potholes. Statistics show that this age group poses more risk to itself and others, more criminal behavior and more danger on the roadways.

The average 18 - 21 year old young man thinks he is 7 foot tall and bullet proof. His logic is diminished by testosterone, which is the root cause for more deaths then can be quantified. (Richard Pryor said it best, It's amazing the places a man with passion on his mind will go where he wouldnt with a loaded gun.) :lol:

I do support carry rights for GI's in this age group. On average they are more capable as the military experience nurtures maturity, wisdom, responsible behavior and weapons safety. (Of course, I never grew up. I just got too old to misbehave anymore)
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

Topic author
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Jim Beaux wrote:I have conflicting opinions. I support constitutional carry, but find justification in limiting carry rights for 18 -21 year old civilians. This age group is transitioning from being kids confined by high school rules to becoming young adults adjusting to new rules....and oftentimes their path has big potholes. Statistics show that this age group poses more risk to itself and others, more criminal behavior and more danger on the roadways.

The average 18 - 21 year old young man thinks he is 7 foot tall and bullet proof. His logic is diminished by testosterone, which is the root cause for more deaths then can be quantified. (Richard Pryor said it best, It's amazing the places a man with passion on his mind will go where he wouldnt with a loaded gun.) :lol:

I do support carry rights for GI's in this age group. On average they are more capable as the military experience nurtures maturity, wisdom, responsible behavior and weapons safety. (Of course, I never grew up. I just got too old to misbehave anymore)
I know tons of 21 year old college kids that are not near as mature as some 18 year olds coming out of high school. That age change is not gonna make any difference IMO.
Keith

Return to “Other States”