Ever check in a gun at Baltimore's BWI Airport??

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Ever check in a gun at Baltimore's BWI Airport??

Post by Jumping Frog »

I've got two choices on an upcoming PA business trip. I could fly into IAD Dulles VA and drive up to PA. I know VA and PA are both firearms-friendly. Crossing MD in a rental car is OK too -- FOPA rules apply. It would be about a two hour drive.

Alternatively, I could choose a different route to fly into BWI (Baltimore) and save about an hour of driving time up to PA. However, I am concerned about checking in a handgun for the return flight that originates in BALTIMORE MARYLAND. I am well aware that a trip that originates in PA and ends in TX should be safely covered by FOPA, but all bets are off when I walk into BWI Airport and try to check in a gun (with ** GASP ** "High -capacity" magazines!)

I've about got myself talked into accepting that driving an extra hour each way is well worth it in terms of reduced handgun stress and law enforcement risk.

However, it is also never hurts to see if anyone has actual experience with this. Anyone successfully check in a handgun at BWI?
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Ever check in a gun at Baltimore's BWI Airport??

Post by Vol Texan »

Jumping Frog wrote:I've got two choices on an upcoming PA business trip. I could fly into IAD Dulles VA and drive up to PA. I know VA and PA are both firearms-friendly. Crossing MD in a rental car is OK too -- FOPA rules apply. It would be about a two hour drive.

Alternatively, I could choose a different route to fly into BWI (Baltimore) and save about an hour of driving time up to PA. However, I am concerned about checking in a handgun for the return flight that originates in BALTIMORE MARYLAND. I am well aware that a trip that originates in PA and ends in TX should be safely covered by FOPA, but all bets are off when I walk into BWI Airport and try to check in a gun (with ** GASP ** "High -capacity" magazines!)

I've about got myself talked into accepting that driving an extra hour each way is well worth it in terms of reduced handgun stress and law enforcement risk.

However, it is also never hurts to see if anyone has actual experience with this. Anyone successfully check in a handgun at BWI?
You answered your own question here.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

LabRat

Post by LabRat »

I've never checked a gun at BWI, but Maryland is problematic all the way around. I tend to avoid it unless I've no other choice.

In addition, PA is gun friendly - but be careful if Philadelphia is on your itinerary. Philly has issues with the PA State Government mandated gun laws in particular. They tend to make their own rules when it comes to guns. Not sure if its as bad as it used to be, but it's not a place you want to get stuck in.

I'd pick a VA airport and then drive. Be careful about crossing Maryland in general and DC in particular.
While FOPA should apply, MD police are strange and well, we're not as protected as the law implies.
As far as leaving, take the same way out if your choices are limited.

Hope the trip goes well.

LabRat
This is not legal advice.
People should be able to perform many functions; for others and for themselves. Specialization is for insects. — Robert Heinlein (Severe paraphrase)

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dr- ... oaded-gun/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At the bottom they say TSA advises... Would say they must be familiar with the protocol. You might call the main info line for BWI For general airport information, call 800-I-FLY-BWI and ask them. Assuming you are flying Southwest, so make sure to follow their requirements for checking a firearm as well as the TSA rules.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

Personally, I would not try BWI.
Keep an eye on the destination weather. If there is any chance of a weather diversion that could take you to DC, NJ, or NY don't take it with you.
Aren't there any destinations in Pa that could get you closer? I know they are probably more expensive.
N5PNZ

Topic author
Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jumping Frog »

2farnorth wrote:Aren't there any destinations in Pa that could get you closer? I know they are probably more expensive.
It isn't the money, it is the time. Flying direct to Harrisburg, by the time I connect (with the layover time), it is quicker to fly close and drive.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Return to “Other States”