What do I need to know about Tennessee

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
barres
Posts in topic: 1

What do I need to know about Tennessee

Post by barres »

I may be travelling to Tennessee with my family this summer, and I have my Texas CHL. Just curious from those who have been there recently what I need to know about TN's carry laws. Particularly where they differ from Texas's. Thanks for your help.
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 3

Re: What do I need to know about Tennessee

Post by Oldgringo »

One thing to member: if there hadn't already been a Tennessee back in the 1830's, there might not be a Texas today.

The other information should be available here: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/tennessee.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Go VOLS!

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I just spent a week in Nashville with the NRA and it was great. In fact I'm on a plane flying home now. They made us feel very welcome. We had almost 80,000 people attend. The Nashville COPS told us "we are your people." it was a great trip.

Chas.

aaangel

Post by aaangel »

oldgringo just covered it all. i'll just add , bring home a bottle of jack daniel's tennessee fire......nuff said!
Last edited by aaangel on Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'got to Texas ASAIC.

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

Visit the Pancake Pantry!
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Oldgringo wrote:One thing to member: if there hadn't already been a Tennessee back in the 1830's, there might not be a Texas today.

The other information should be available here: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/tennessee.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Go VOLS!
As if my screenname didn't let you know about my love of the state where I grew up...Oldgringo got this right!

Tell us what part of God's country you're visiting this summer. if it's near a place that we know, we may be able to give you some (other than CHL) pointers.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SewTexas »

the biggest difference there that I found that would affect my visit this summer is that you can't carry in a park??!! :???: that's the way I read it anyway.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

b322da

Post by b322da »

SewTexas wrote:the biggest difference there that I found that would affect my visit this summer is that you can't carry in a park??!! :???: that's the way I read it anyway.
That may be a little bit overstated, Tracy. The situation about carrying concealed handguns in a park in Tennessee is apparently a mishmash of conflicting or badly drafted state law -- it is not clear, and it can be interpreted differently depending on the eye of the beholder.

The bottom line is that during my coming drive through Tennessee it is my intention to not CC in parks. I would not want to be a test case for some judge to attempt to sort out the issue. You might want to take a look at this thread, where I share my research of the question. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=77028" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I trust we will both have a pleasant and trouble-free visit to Tennessee this summer, the home of my family before they moved to the then-Republic of Texas. :clapping:

Jim
Last edited by b322da on Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

SewTexas wrote:the biggest difference there that I found that would affect my visit this summer is that you can't carry in a park??!! :???: that's the way I read it anyway.
I'm not sure about the guns in parks thing but I do know that 53 years ago they took a dim view of beer in a city park....a really dim view. :rules:

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I just spent a week in Nashville with the NRA and it was great. In fact I'm on a plane flying home now. They made us feel very welcome. We had almost 80,000 people attend. The Nashville COPS told us "we are your people." it was a great trip.

Chas.
Good to hear. My son is living in TN now. It's also the home of Hickok45 so I was pretty much expecting it to be a good environment for gun owners.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

VMI77 wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:I just spent a week in Nashville with the NRA and it was great. In fact I'm on a plane flying home now. They made us feel very welcome. We had almost 80,000 people attend. The Nashville COPS told us "we are your people." it was a great trip.

Chas.
Good to hear. My son is living in TN now. It's also the home of Hickok45 so I was pretty much expecting it to be a good environment for gun owners.
Nice to hear.

Now, where is the obligatory "is Tennessee an open carry state?" "rlol"
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Nashville east through the Smoky Mountains is beautiful.

I wouldn't even stop for fuel in Memphis: viewtopic.php?f=108&t=77164" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Go VOLS!

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SewTexas »

I'm suppose to be at a picnic for one night, I haven't decided if I'll "keep it concealed" or keep it in my glove box. ;-) you have a good time as well.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Return to “Other States”