NJ: Another law-abiding citizen turned into a felon

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
mr1337
Posts in topic: 2

NJ: Another law-abiding citizen turned into a felon

Post by mr1337 »

http://concealednation.org/2015/07/hone ... -our-help/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not a felon yet, but it just shows how draconian NJ's laws are.

Hopefully this puts some heat on NJ's gun laws, but I'm not holding my breath.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Re: NJ: Another law-abiding citizen turned into a felon

Post by Taypo »

I'm torn on this one.

He sounds like a good dude, but its pretty much common knowledge that NJ/NY is a no gun zone.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pawpaw »

It's common knowledge on this forum and a few others, but to the population, in general, it is not.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

WWCCD?

:mad5
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

Title of the post says it all. New Jersey is a pathetic State.
III

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

Pawpaw wrote:It's common knowledge on this forum and a few others, but to the population, in general, it is not.
Perhaps. If the subject of the article had done the slightest bit of research at any point in his concealed carry process, he may have come across one of those forums.

I don't want to run the guy down, but it was preventable

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

Taypo wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:It's common knowledge on this forum and a few others, but to the population, in general, it is not.
Perhaps. If the subject of the article had done the slightest bit of research at any point in his concealed carry process, he may have come across one of those forums.

You might have missed it if you didn't read the whole article, but the gent does not have a concealed carry permit. Yeah, he SHOULD have thought about it, but responding to head thousands of miles away for a disaster response job on one hour's notice, I'll grant him that bit of Oops. Now, if NJ was just as benevolent...

What I don't get is how Christie can proclaim himself a Republican, much less a conservative Republican, with his complicity in his state's Draconian gun laws.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

n5wd wrote:
Taypo wrote:

You might have missed it if you didn't read the whole article, but the gent does not have a concealed carry permit. Yeah, he SHOULD have thought about it, but responding to head thousands of miles away for a disaster response job on one hour's notice, I'll grant him that bit of Oops. Now, if NJ was just as benevolent...

What I don't get is how Christie can proclaim himself a Republican, much less a conservative Republican, with his complicity in his state's Draconian gun laws.
You're right, I interpreted the "legally obtained pistol" completely wrong.

So how often has this guy carried elsewhere without a license? No longer torn.

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

Back a long time ago New York Telephone Company sent a convoy of "disaster relief" trucks to one of the southern states for disaster relief. One of our guys ran off the road and flipped his bucket truck. That was when they found out that although whichever state it was recognized commercial driver's licenses for tractor trailer and that type of drivers, the requirements for operating a bucket truck were different in that state, and our lineman spent a weekend in jail before being bailed out. No one at NYTel knew there was such a requirement, much less the individual workers.

I am not surprised, a lot of friends and acquaintances were confused when Texas passed open carry, they thought we already had it.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Taypo wrote:You're right, I interpreted the "legally obtained pistol" completely wrong.

He was not required to have a license to have a loaded gun in his vehicle back home any more than you are required to have license to have a handgun in a motor vehicle right here in Texas.

In fact, the article says:
And in almost all the states in the Southeast, he would have been perfectly fine bringing his firearm with him.
There is no indication he did anything illegal except for NJ's garbage laws.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

WildBill
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WildBill »

Jumping Frog wrote:
Taypo wrote:You're right, I interpreted the "legally obtained pistol" completely wrong.

He was not required to have a license to have a loaded gun in his vehicle back home any more than you are required to have license to have a handgun in a motor vehicle right here in Texas.

And in almost all the states in the Southeast, he would have been perfectly fine bringing his firearm with him.
:iagree: In essence, he travelled to New Jersey to try to help people in need and got arrested for it.
NRA Endowment Member

WildBill
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WildBill »

jimlongley wrote:I am not surprised, a lot of friends and acquaintances were confused when Texas passed open carry, they thought we already had it.
There is the old saying that ignorance of the law is no defense, but I have also found that most people do not know the law when it concerns firearms.

Sometimes we, on the forum, forget that the majority of citizens don't know very much about the laws concerning firearms and self defense.

In my conversations with people, I have corrected many misconceptions that they have concerning Texas laws such as MPA, 30.06, 51% signs, etc.
NRA Endowment Member

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

WildBill wrote:
Jumping Frog wrote:

:iagree: In essence, he travelled to New Jersey to try to help people in need and got arrested for it.

No, he got arrested for having a weapon where it was illegal. I'm not going to defend NJ gun laws, but they are what they are. When he took a gun out of his home state he was responsible for obeying the laws where he was going. Ignorance is NOT a defense.

There are dozens of threads on this forum alone where people are asking about the laws in different states. He chose not to seek guidance and made an assumption that got him locked up.

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

WildBill wrote:
jimlongley wrote:I am not surprised, a lot of friends and acquaintances were confused when Texas passed open carry, they thought we already had it.
There is the old saying that ignorance of the law is no defense, but I have also found that most people do not know the law when it concerns firearms.

Sometimes we, on the forum, forget that the majority of citizens don't know very much about the laws concerning firearms and self defense.

In my conversations with people, I have corrected many misconceptions that they have concerning Texas laws such as MPA, 30.06, 51% signs, etc.
I don't disagree with you, but this is another case of someone who refuses to take responsibility for a mistake. Personally, I'm firmly of the belief that anyone carrying a gun is responsible for knowing things like legal signage and where you can and can't carry.

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

Taypo wrote:Ignorance is NOT a defense.
Unless you are a police officer, according to our wonderful SCOTUS.
NRA Benefactor Member

Return to “Other States”