NY: Dems finally find Exec Order they don't like

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 1

NY: Dems finally find Exec Order they don't like

Post by ELB »

Ok, it's a "memo", not officially an Exec Order, and the "executive" (Gov Cuomo) doesn't have guts enough to sign it himself, but here's your Friday news dump: Plan to Require Background Checks for Ammunition Sales Is Suspended in New York
The administration of Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo agreed on Friday to suspend a plan to require background checks on ammunition sales, putting in doubt part of the gun control law that he considers one of his proudest legacies.

The decision, which the administration did not publicize, was the result of an unusual deal the governor’s office reached with the State Senate’s Republican majority.
Not everyone is happy, however:
The Assembly speaker, Carl E. Heastie, a Bronx Democrat, said it was “an ill-advised end run around the Legislature and the Safe Act.”

“I did not participate in this ‘agreement’,” he said. “The law may not be ‘suspended’ by a memorandum such as this. I believe the law should be followed and implemented as intended.”
Cuomo's people are saying it's not that they are suspending the law, but the database required to run the registry isn't ready yet. Must have hired the guys who did Canada's registry...or the Obamacare website...
“On first read, this appears blatantly unconstitutional,” said Senator Michael N. Gianaris of Queens, the deputy minority leader. “The notion that one house of the Legislature will have greater powers than another, and the governor, with one house only, can agree to change state law, turns our democracy on its head.”
Cry me a river...
USAF 1982-2005

baldeagle

Re: NY: Dems finally find Exec Order they don't like

Post by baldeagle »

I'll see your river and raise you two.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

WildBill

Re: NY: Dems finally find Exec Order they don't like

Post by WildBill »

baldeagle wrote:I'll see your river and raise you two.
:thumbs2:
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “Other States”