10 round mags???

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
ron_houston
Posts in topic: 2

10 round mags???

Post by ron_houston »

I have been out of the US for the past 6 years (in the Philippines) but I plan on returning in about 6 months.
Obviously, my first priority will be to go to the nearest gun shop and buy a weapon. I will be buying a new Beretta 92fs Compact and it comes in both 10 and 15 round models. Since I am retired and expect to do a lot of traveling in mostly the southern US, would it be best to just buy the 10 round model so as to not have to deal with any "10 round limit" localities in my travels?
I hate to say this, but I live and believe that I only need one, possibly two rounds.
Any opinions?

TheDude

Re: 10 round mags???

Post by TheDude »

I am pretty sure the guns are the same and they just come with different mags. I would just buy the one that comes with 15 round mags. You could always just buy a couple 10 round mags if you think you need them. However, I don't think any state that has a 10 round limit is going to allow you to have a loaded gun on you anyway. States with 10 round limits like CA and NY are not going to honor your TX CHL.

Like I said before though, I do think that the gun will take either mag anyway. I think they just give you the choice of which mags you want to come with the gun but I could be wrong. I know that glock sells both 10rd and 15rd mags for Glock 19s and everything about the mag is the same except capacity. As far as only needing one or two rounds to defend yourself, I suggest you take a defensive pistol class and see if your opinion on that changes.

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Vol Texan »

TheDude wrote:I am pretty sure the guns are the same and they just come with different mags. I would just buy the one that comes with 15 round mags. You could always just buy a couple 10 round mags if you think you need them. However, I don't think any state that has a 10 round limit is going to allow you to have a loaded gun on you anyway. States with 10 round limits like CA and NY are not going to honor your TX CHL.

Like I said before though, I do think that the gun will take either mag anyway. I think they just give you the choice of which mags you want to come with the gun but I could be wrong. I know that glock sells both 10rd and 15rd mags for Glock 19s and everything about the mag is the same except capacity. As far as only needing one or two rounds to defend yourself, I suggest you take a defensive pistol class and see if your opinion on that changes.
Maligayang pagdating, and welcome back to the US!

TheDude is correct here. I have a 92FS and I have one 10-round mag mixed in with my standard mags. The only difference is that the mag is 'crimped' more on the side, effectively reducing the volume inside the mag where the rounds are kept.

Personally, I don't like loading that one, or shooting it - the rounds don't always seem to line up well while loading. But it came with the gun, so I keep it for range practice.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I thought NY's "safe act" made the top round count only 7 rounds.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
ron_houston

Post by ron_houston »

thank you all. No insult intended (maybe a little) but I don't plan on ever going to California (they think funny there), and absolutely not to New York (they talk funny there).
So the two models only difference is the 10 or 15 round mags. Great
Thank you again

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

That's cool. I lived in upstate NY for four years about 30 years ago and think it's a beautiful state. However, unless they change their laws I doubt I'll ever go back to visit. Also, with 15 round mags, I think you're also okay in Colorado. Just don't take a rifle with a 20 round or greater mag.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

TheDude

Post by TheDude »

C-dub wrote:I thought NY's "safe act" made the top round count only 7 rounds.
I think that got reversed by a Federal Judge since its almost impossible to find 7 round mags.

http://legalinsurrection.com/2013/12/fe ... lows-rest/

Return to “Other States”