Utah ccw

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Glockster
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Utah ccw

Post by Glockster »

AJSully421 wrote:Yep, Utah is a great backup CHL option.

I just love that if I ever have to use my weapon and the cops take my gun and my CHL that I have a backup pistol, backup holster, and backup CHL all in my truck. I'll be rearmed in seconds.

I think that may be a great idea but am wondering about the recent change to UT law that requires you to have a Texas resident CHL to have a UT. What happens then if you lose your TX CHL or have it suspended? Does that then violate the conditions of having a UT permit? If you are stopped in TX, have a TX DL and no CHL, are you then violating the UT permit conditions listed on their BCI page? Would that invalidate your UT permit, meaning you are no longer eligible?
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Crossfire »

Glockster wrote:

I just love that if I ever have to use my weapon and the cops take my gun and my CHL that I have a backup pistol, backup holster, and backup CHL all in my truck. I'll be rearmed in seconds.

I think that may be a great idea but am wondering about the recent change to UT law that requires you to have a Texas resident CHL to have a UT. What happens then if you lose your TX CHL or have it suspended? Does that then violate the conditions of having a UT permit? If you are stopped in TX, have a TX DL and no CHL, are you then violating the UT permit conditions listed on their BCI page? Would that invalidate your UT permit, meaning you are no longer eligible?
Yes, that is correct. Under the new Utah laws, if you are a Texas resident, you must have a valid resident permit from Texas in order for your Utah CFP to be valid.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Simple solution. Get Arizona!
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Glockster

Post by Glockster »

ScottDLS wrote:Simple solution. Get Arizona!
Yes, thanks to this thread am already starting that process and am waiting for my packet. One issue though is that I read a couple of articles about record revocations by states because of fingerprint issues not meeting some FBI standard. So I need to figure out what is apparently special that wherever folks are going they are having problems.
NRA Life Member

Glockster

Post by Glockster »

Crossfire wrote:
Glockster wrote:

Yes, that is correct. Under the new Utah laws, if you are a Texas resident, you must have a valid resident permit from Texas in order for your Utah CFP to be valid.
Thought that might be the case. :tiphat:
NRA Life Member

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JALLEN »

If you have the misfortune to lose your TX CHL, and rely on your out of state issued license to carry, don't get caught within 1,000' of a school.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

CleverNickname
Posts in topic: 1

Post by CleverNickname »

ScottDLS wrote:Simple solution. Get Arizona!
Washington state doesn't recognize Arizona (or Florida), which is why many people get a Utah license.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

JALLEN wrote:If you have the misfortune to lose your TX CHL, and rely on your out of state issued license to carry, don't get caught within 1,000' of a school.
Don't get caught within 1000' of a school with a long gun in your car either, or while an off duty cop without a CHL, or while being in Vermont. :rules:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

Crossfire wrote:
Glockster wrote:

My example of the use of a "backup CHL" was limited to "used firearm to save life, police took gun and CHL as evidence but did not arrest, the second I get back to my truck I am legally re-armed". If you are using it to get around a suspension or revocation... not so much.

Beyond that, nearly anything that you could do that would be bad enough to get your license suspended or revoked in Texas, and if Utah (or any other state that issued you a license) were to find out about it, they would very likely pull your license from their state too.

So... Backup CHLs: Good for using in the time between a SD shoot and getting either formally charged, or cleared by a Grand Jury, and that is about it.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Glockster

Post by Glockster »

AJSully421 wrote:
Crossfire wrote:
Glockster wrote:

My example of the use of a "backup CHL" was limited to "used firearm to save life, police took gun and CHL as evidence but did not arrest, the second I get back to my truck I am legally re-armed". If you are using it to get around a suspension or revocation... not so much.

Beyond that, nearly anything that you could do that would be bad enough to get your license suspended or revoked in Texas, and if Utah (or any other state that issued you a license) were to find out about it, they would very likely pull your license from their state too.

So... Backup CHLs: Good for using in the time between a SD shoot and getting either formally charged, or cleared by a Grand Jury, and that is about it.
Agree with your reason, and for me I would like to add Nevada into the mix.

But I think that there are a couple of other things that could get you suspended in TX, but not necessarily in the other state. As an example, let's say you forgot to change your address with DPS within the 30 days. That is grounds for suspension in TX, but may not be a listed ground in another state, who might not have a 30 day requirement. I agree that clearly any criminal offense and such would be grounds elsewhere, but TX does have acoupleofthings that are probably not the same in other states.
NRA Life Member

Return to “Other States”