Checking a Firearm at a California Airport

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
AlaskanInTexas
Posts in topic: 1

Checking a Firearm at a California Airport

Post by AlaskanInTexas »

I am going to be working in California quite a bit over the next few years. I have figured out the law about taking a firearm there and the ample restrictions. I'm just curious if anyone here has had any experience with declaring a firearm at a California airport. I will be using primarily San Francisco International.

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Checking a Firearm at a California Airport

Post by JALLEN »

I checked firearms many times at CA airports and provided you have read the requirements and complied, and do not get too uptight about occasional procedural variations, it is not a problem. The requirements are listed on each airlines website.

The trick is to be sure you are complying with CA's restrictive gun laws, chief of which is no magazines of more than 10 rounds in your possession.

Now, odds of the airline person being savvy about this and calling you on it is quite low, but if some snag or informality results in coming to the attention of authorities, it would be a felony.

Some years ago, I was found to have 3 loaded magazines in my carry on, thankfully in San Antonio, and since I was a CA resident, ten rounders which I had flown out with in the same bag, to which circumstance I was completely oblivious. As it was, I checked out as a responsible citizen, the TSA helped me pack the magazines in checked luggage, and I went on my way. The FAA later sent me a letter demanding an explanation. Being a private pilot, I knew that telling them the truth would astonish and befuddled them, so I did so, and escaped with a forfeiture of a few hundred dollars.

Had it been the reverse, flying back to Texas from CA, with 15 round magazines found, I might still be in jail. You simply cannot be careless in these matters. As Don Corleone advised, "women and children can afford to be careless, but not men."
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

jrs_diesel

Post by jrs_diesel »

I checked a shotgun years ago in San Diego (2004). Wasn't a huge deal. Check in agent brought me behind the counter to an office where I had to show it was unloaded. She then had me lock the case, and then it got tagged and checked in.

When I picked it up in Dallas (DFW), I got upset because I picked it up at baggage claim where the oversize bags come out. If I hadn't seen it I would not have known where to pick it up. No positive control either, anyone could have walked by and grabbed it.
J.R.

olafpfj

Post by olafpfj »

Same as anywhere else. Make sure any gear complies with CA law (no >10 rd mags/evil features) and you're fine. I make a point to declare to the ticket agent using very specific non hysterical terms. "I need to declare a checked firearm" as opposed to "I have a gun in my bag". Make sure the form is outside the secure case and that they walk your bag over to TSA.

I once had a newbie ticket agent fail on the elastic tag and TSA screen in Florida. That was an awkward and ultimately fine interaction with Broward County sheriff at the gate after they discovered my unexpected firearm.
"If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law." -Winston Churchill

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

What was the elastic tag for?
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Cowboyhockey14

Post by Cowboyhockey14 »

I have checked a handgun in at the San Diego airport. Other then the ticket agent looking at me like I was a crazy person, I had no issues with it. The Best airport I have found so far is the Denver airport. They take to another screening area, very secure and no issues

olafpfj

Post by olafpfj »

JALLEN wrote:What was the elastic tag for?
The red tag had an elastic loop on it to secure it to a case. The young kid was not terribly bright and couldn't figure out how to attach it to my nanovault so he insisted that it go inside. Big mistake. Broward sheriff asked for my combo to confirm the red tag was inside and that I did indeed declare. I was travelling unexpectedly to California in a big hurry to see my mother in law for the last time as she was about to pass away and I wasn't in any sort of mental or emotional state to fight with the sheriff.
"If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law." -Winston Churchill

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

olafpfj wrote:
The red tag had an elastic loop on it to secure it to a case. The young kid was not terribly bright and couldn't figure out how to attach it to my nanovault so he insisted that it go inside. Big mistake. Broward sheriff asked for my combo to confirm the red tag was inside and that I did indeed declare. I was travelling unexpectedly to California in a big hurry to see my mother in law for the last time as she was about to pass away and I wasn't in any sort of mental or emotional state to fight with the sheriff.
I have flown with a pistol dozens of times, most recently last summer, and have never seen or heard of a red tag. You fill out a firearm declaration, they put it in, or tape it outside, your hard sided case thst is locked, only you have the key. That goes in your bag. Sometimes they hand it to TSA right there, sometimes they ask you to wait in an area for ~10 minutes or do, and sometimes, more recently, a TSA guy opens your bag in your presence, you unlock the case, they verify the declaration and unloaded, and off it goes. I've neve encountered or heard about a tag. My impression is that there can be no indication that a firearm is inside.

olafpfj

Post by olafpfj »

JALLEN wrote:
olafpfj wrote:
I have flown with a pistol dozens of times, most recently last summer, and have never seen or heard of a red tag. You fill out a firearm declaration, they put it in, or tape it outside, your hard sided case thst is locked, only you have the key. That goes in your bag. Sometimes they hand it to TSA right there, sometimes they ask you to wait in an area for ~10 minutes or do, and sometimes, more recently, a TSA guy opens your bag in your presence, you unlock the case, they verify the declaration and unloaded, and off it goes. I've neve encountered or heard about a tag. My impression is that there can be no indication that a firearm is inside.
I think it was red...maybe it was tan. Either way since he didn't walk it over to the TSA special screener and just put it on the regular conveyor I got paged and had to prove that I had indeed declared it and filled out the form.

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

olafpfj wrote:
JALLEN wrote:
olafpfj wrote:
I think it was red...maybe it was tan. Either way since he didn't walk it over to the TSA special screener and just put it on the regular conveyor I got paged and had to prove that I had indeed declared it and filled out the form.
Ok, that makes more sense. The ticket guy didn't send it for TSA screening, although the firearms declaration had been completed and inserted in/on the hard sided locked firearm case. All bags are X-rayed, some are opened, and yours showed a gun they weren't expecting, I imagine.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Slightly off-topic, but if anyone is travelling to LA, you will find the entire experience much better (with or without a weapon) if you fly into and out of Ontario, instead of LAX.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

cheezit

Post by cheezit »

I found burbank airport the best of all options

olafpfj

Post by olafpfj »

cheezit wrote:I found burbank airport the best of all options
Been through Burbank a few times without issue. Its also my preferred airport for general SoCal trips.

twjones

Post by twjones »

Has anyone ever checked unloaded magazines flying with Southwest? If so, any issues? Thank you.

para driver

Post by para driver »

It may have changed, but a LOT depends on the 'orientation' of the agent. One fella in Chicago got almost hysterical about a Browning Sweet 16 that I was checking to Texas. He even said 'I know they're for killing'.. so I casually replied that he didn't look like a pheasant, so he really had nothing to be alarmed about. That put Ms. Sassy Pants into 'quiet mode'...

If there's any drama whatsoever, just call for a supervisor, and be cool & professional. The misunderstandings are almost always due to poor training.

I did have a gun stolen once at O'Hare.. take GOOD photographs of the gun, and the case. Make note of the agent who you hand it to... It won't hurt if you have to make a claim. BTW, I did get the gun back a year later. Had to go to court and claim it after the trial. The bastage who lifted it, turns out he worked at O'Hare, and was a convicted felon who'd done 18mo on a 3-5 for a previous manslaughter charge. And to top it off, the ADA bimbo asked the judge to destroy the pistol (a fine ltw Commander btw), because it was MY FAULT for being so careless in the first place..

Tread lightly, tensions are high right now....

Return to “Other States”