Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 1

NV: Gov signs bill canx handgun registration, expanding Castle Doc

Post by ELB »

http://www.guns.com/2015/06/03/gov-sand ... -into-law/

I did not know that Nevada -- just one county actually, surrounding Las Vegas -- had handgun registration. Until now. Or a year from now.
Gone will be Clark County’s 1948-vintage handgun registration requirement. With these permits popularly known as blue cards due to their color, current law mandates all handguns with a barrel less than 12 inches be registered within 72 hours of being purchased by an area resident. Opponents argued the scheme came from a time that pre-dated current background checks and has been made obsolete in a modern Nevada. The county will have a year to destroy the estimated one million now-historical registrations held on file.
Reciprocity will be expanded from 16 states to possibly 26, Castle-Doctrine will be expanded to include occupied vehicles, and civil immunity will be added.

Nevada does not currently recognize Texas CHL/LTC. I wonder if that will change?

ETA: While doing some further reading, I found that the addition of civil immunity was based on Texas's civil immunity provision.

ETA2: It also appears to establish or extend state pre-emption of firearms law, including a requirement for cities and counties to repeal ordinances that conflict with state firearms law, and providing for private cause of action for anyone impacted by such an ordinance.

ETA3: The change in reciprocity requirements appears to be from requiring that laws of the reciprocal state be substantially similar to Nevada's to simply having a training program to get the license. However, it is also required under existing and future law that Nevada police officers be able to access an electronic database of valid handgun license holders of the reciprocal state, and (what is really strange), the Nevada Chiefs and Sheriffs Association has to agree for Nevada to recognize another state's license. So it appears to me that Texas should qualify for reciprocity...as long as the Nevada Chiefs and Sheriffs Association agrees. :???:

ETA4: Whoops! I thought this was current news, but the report is actually from June. Was news to me tho.
USAF 1982-2005

RHenriksen

Re: NV: Gov signs bill canx handgun registration, expanding Castle Doc

Post by RHenriksen »

News to me, too. Glad to hear!
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

AJSully421

Re: NV: Gov signs bill canx handgun registration, expanding Castle Doc

Post by AJSully421 »

According to what I read when NV dropped reciprocity with Texas, their main problem was our "under 21 for military" provision.

Because that was not "substantially similar" to their laws, they dropped us. I think a couple of other states (Minnesota) had similar issues, but when you realize that in 2014 the DPS issued 237 licenses to anyone under age 21, it really is a non-issue.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Return to “Other States”