CO: Repealing Large Mag Ban & Lizzie's Law

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 2

CO: Repealing Large Mag Ban & Lizzie's Law

Post by ELB »

I have not followed Colorado's 2A efforts very closely, but it has been my impression that 2A-friendly bills have not done well in their legislature since they passed the large capacity (or more accurately, "standard capacity") magazine ban and some other stuff a few years ago. I believe there was a near shut-out on gun bills last year, and this year their House has squelched several new bills.

However, the Senate has initiated at least two 2A-related bills that are still alive.

SB 16-113 would repeal the magazine ban. It was passed out of committee on 30 March and has been scheduled for a second reading in the Senate for a couple days now, altho it keeps getting pushed back because of debate on a budget bill. It has House sponsors already, the same people who have previously introduced similar bills in the House only to have them quashed in committee, it appears. Good luck to them.
http://extras.denverpost.com/app/bill-t ... sb_16-113/

"Lizzie's Law" SB 16-144 is named after the daughter of its sponsor, Senator John Cooke. Happily unlike most such "name" laws, Lizzie is not deceased - she is a 19-year-old member of the Colorado Army National Guard. Colorado law does not permit people under the age of 21 to get a Colorado carry license; this bill would allow members of the military 18 and above to also get a license. That bill was passed the Senate 21-14, with all Republican members and a couple or three Democrats voting in favor. It goes to their House now.
http://cocivilliberties.org/lizzies-law ... he-senate/

Best wishes to the 2A in Colorado.
USAF 1982-2005

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Re: CO: Repealing Large Mag Ban & Lizzie's Law

Post by C-dub »

I'm sure it's been minimal, but still wonder how much that standard magazine ban has impacted their tourism industry?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Syntyr
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Syntyr »

C-dub wrote:I'm sure it's been minimal, but still wonder how much that standard magazine ban has impacted their tourism industry?
I used to take the family there at least once a year. Was looking to move to Colorado Springs or Fort Collins but not anymore. I almost had a job in Portland... Sure glad I didn't move there into hippy world. I haven't been to Colorado since that insanity nor will I go back...
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ELB »

The bill to repeal the magazine restrictions has passed the Senate and gone to the House and been assigned to the State, Veterans, and Military Affairs Committee (so has the "Lizzie's Law" Bill). By my rough count that committee of nine has at least six Democratic members.

The House overall is 34 Dems, 31 Reps. My prediction is the magazine bill will not even get a hearing, and I doubt Lizzie's Law gets out of the committee either. There's already Colorado newspaper articles tut-tutting about, to paraphrase, how this will affect the increasing number of suicides among teens and military members'.

There are elections for Coiorado House and Senate later this year. Hope Coloradans decided to improve things.
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “Other States”