Declaring firearm

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Hot Dawg
Posts in topic: 3

Declaring firearm

Post by Hot Dawg »

Going on a trip soon & flying out of Houston using American Airlines, question I have is when checking in do I use the check in at the curb or do I go inside? Their website did not say. This is the first time flying with my firearm. Thanks in advance.

ELB

Re: Declaring firearm

Post by ELB »

Go inside. Follow all the other rules on the website to a T. All will be well.
USAF 1982-2005

LimaCharlie3
Posts in topic: 1

Post by LimaCharlie3 »

Yes, Check your bags at the ticket counter and declare your firearm to the agent. You'll be given a declaration to sign that the gun is unloaded. One constant in air travel is the ever-changing rules of TSA. You may be asked to put that card inside the case or take it with the firearm to the TSA screener. If it is a handgun, ensure it is in a hard, crush-proof type case with a lock on it. and I would pack that inside my other luggage. The machines see inside bags pretty good now and it is rare that you would be paged back to unlock it for TSA, but they may ask you to stand around till it clears. Phoenix had HUGE backlogs of bags today because the main machines broke and they had to screen bags by hand. So anything is possible. I just retired from AA and it's no big deal. I wish you speed and patience getting thru the checkpoint!

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AJSully421 »

I have flown several times with a pistol, never a problem. One thing, the TSA says that ammo can be loaded in mags if those mags are then placed in a secure container like a top snap mag carrier. Many airlines say no ammo in mags, must be in aftermarket plastic or original boxes (Cardstock is more secure than steel???). So, just because you have the TSA regs, doesn't automatically mean that you are good to go. Check both.

Biggest thing is to declare it, fill out the thing they give you, expect another 15 minutes of delay (which drives my in-laws nuts because they like to cut it close) and you will be fine. They do not demand to see a CHL or anything to fly with a pistol.

Have fun!
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Where are you going?
Do you have to change planes along the way?

Hard and fast rule.... Do not break....
If I were to unexpectedly land in a State where my license is not valid, I would NOT PICK UP MY LUGGAGE.

Example.... If I was traveling to VT and I was changing planes in NJ. Then my connecting flight was missed or cancelled, if I picked up my luggage at Newark, went to a hotel for the night, I would expect to be arrested when I checked in the next day at Newark for my rescheduled flight.

What to do? No good choices....
Consider notifying Newark authorities that you have a weapon in your checked bag and your situation. Dicey. Those idiots will surely give you grief, if not arrest you.
Pick up your luggage, rent a car and drive the rest of the way. Not sure if FOPA still applies (probably does, IMO). If you get busted you'd at least have to explain it. Not to mention that if you miss your connection the airline might cancel your return.
????

My only two worries when flying with my gun are 1. Getting stuck some place gun unfriendly and 2. Having my gun stolen from my luggage. Check in is usually pretty easy. Most agents know the drill and will help you through it.

Make certain your gun is unloaded before you get to the counter to check it.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

goose

Post by goose »

I don't have much different info but how I would list it out:
1) Unloaded!
2) hard sided lockable case
3) ammo in case but not in the magazines.
3) non-tsa lock for the hard sided case. tsa lock for the suitcase.
4) pack it inside a suitcase (on top)
5) give yourself 20 minutes extra time
6) tell the clerk what you need to do and they will walk you through it.
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

GeekwithaGun

Post by GeekwithaGun »

AJSully421 wrote:I have flown several times with a pistol, never a problem. One thing, the TSA says that ammo can be loaded in mags if those mags are then placed in a secure container like a top snap mag carrier. Many airlines say no ammo in mags, must be in aftermarket plastic or original boxes (Cardstock is more secure than steel???). So, just because you have the TSA regs, doesn't automatically mean that you are good to go. Check both.
I've flown many times and declared a firearm, only had one issue with TSA at DFW and having two mags loaded and stored in a cardboard box. Have done that several times and no issues until then. To avoid hassles in the future I bought a plastic bullet box and just carry the mags unloaded now.

Just don't have any loose rounds in luggage.
NRA Life Member

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

RoyGBiv wrote:Where are you going?

If I were to unexpectedly land in a State where my license is not valid, I would NOT PICK UP MY LUGGAGE.

Example.... If I was traveling to VT and I was changing planes in NJ. Then my connecting flight was missed or cancelled, if I picked up my luggage at Newark, went to a hotel for the night, I would expect to be arrested when I checked in the next day at Newark for my rescheduled flight.

Consider notifying Newark authorities that you have a weapon in your checked bag and your situation. Dicey. Those idiots will surely give you grief, if not arrest you.
Pick up your luggage, rent a car and drive the rest of the way. Not sure if FOPA still applies (probably does, IMO). If you get busted you'd at least have to explain it. Not to mention that if you miss your connection the airline might cancel your return.
????

My only two worries when flying with my gun are 1. Getting stuck some place gun unfriendly and 2. Having my gun stolen from my luggage. Check in is usually pretty easy. Most agents know the drill and will help you through it.

He's not kidding here. Avoid non gun-friendly states at all costs or do not take a gun.

I went to see Calvin Coolidge last year. My wife goes to Vermont every year to piano camp. She flies to Albany and limos to the camp in VT. I was going to fly, pick her up and head for Plymouth Notch where Coolidge's farm and visitor center is. I was advised to avoid NY at all costs. I ended up going to Florida, then to Manchester, driving in from there.

Remember the woman who inadvertently ended up in NJ from PA jailed for felony gun possession and had a pardon or commutation from the Governor to get out of it, after an expensive and nerve wracking ordeal? Not worth it.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

In addition to the info already given, I'd print out the airline firearms regulations as well as the TSA firearms regulations. That way if there's a question about where the declaration goes or how the ammo and/or mags are to be packaged, you'll have it in black & white for everyone to see.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

lildave40

Post by lildave40 »

What type of case should you use and where can you get one?

Topic author
Hot Dawg

Post by Hot Dawg »

Thanks for all the replies, I had only one issue at the check in counter, told her I was declaring a firearm & she told me that I had to stand in another line & about a minute later she calls me back up to the counter & tell again that I need declare a firearm, again she tells me to go stand in the other line but now that line has several people in it, she did take me straight over & got checked in without any issues, my wife was worried that it would take long & possibly be detained so she left hers at home. We are flying to Dallas then to Colorado.

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

lildave40 wrote:What type of case should you use and where can you get one?
I use the cabled lock box that I normally keep in my car for when I have to go into GFZs. They sell them on Amazon, Academy, Gander Mountain, etc.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

I like the nano vault because I can tie the cable to the metal bars inside my luggage.
They can still steal the luggage, but it's harder to take only the gun.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

n5wmk

Post by n5wmk »

I went to Academy and bought a smaller model 1200 Pelican case, with the foam rubber in small cubes that you can pick out to shape the pocket(s) to hold the gun and ammo. The interior size is 9" x 7" x 4", large enough to hold a full size Springfield XD or 1911, plus a couple of magazines and a 25 round box of Hornady defense ammo in the original plastic case. It can be locked with 2 locks, and I bought 2 combo locks with the same combination. My holster just went into one of the zipper areas inside the main luggage.

The Pelican is a hard side case, and it's small enough to not take up too much space inside the larger suitcase. I have a steel cable that gets looped through the steel frame in the suitcase, then locked onto one of the combo locks. Someone would either have to cut the cable or take my entire suitcase.

As others have said, print out a copy of the TSA and the airline's policy on declaring firearms. If the gate agent wants you to put the signed declaration form inside the locked case with the handgun, politely decline and show him/her on the TSA policy form that you have printed out that it's supposed to go *with* the case, not *inside* of it.. TSA, if they check, will need to view the signed form, which they cannot do if it's locked inside the hard case, since they aren't able to open that case unless you open it for them. The larger piece of luggage gets a TSA lock.

I've never had any problem, but then I've only flown into and out of gun friendly states (Texas and Arizona), on American Airlines each time.
EDC CZ 2075 RAMI
NRA Benefactor Life Member
USAF 1972-1980
Texas A&M -1980-1984

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

JALLEN wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:Where are you going?

????

He's not kidding here. Avoid non gun-friendly states at all costs or do not take a gun.

I went to see Calvin Coolidge last year. My wife goes to Vermont every year to piano camp. She flies to Albany and limos to the camp in VT. I was going to fly, pick her up and head for Plymouth Notch where Coolidge's farm and visitor center is. I was advised to avoid NY at all costs. I ended up going to Florida, then to Manchester, driving in from there.

Remember the woman who inadvertently ended up in NJ from PA jailed for felony gun possession and had a pardon or commutation from the Governor to get out of it, after an expensive and nerve wracking ordeal? Not worth it.
Agreed. Once you hit D.C... all logic and reason ceases. Avoid the North East at all costs. I would quit a million dollar job if they tried to send me up there. Not worth it.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Return to “Other States”