Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 3

CA: 2A protects right to sell & buy firearms

Post by ELB »

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 69192.html

Dave Hardy's comments: http://armsandthelaw.com/archives/2016/ ... ing_fr.php

SAF Press release: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 69192.html
BELLEVUE, Wash., May 16, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- A three-judge panel for the U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals has issued a 2-1 ruling that "the right to purchase and sell firearms is part and parcel of the historically recognized right to keep and bear arms" protected by the Second Amendment in a case brought by the Second Amendment Foundation.
As I understand it, Alameda County wrote an ordinance concerning where gun stores could exist that it essentially banned them from the county.
USAF 1982-2005

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 1

Re: CA: 2A protects right to sell & buy firearms

Post by JALLEN »

ELB wrote:
As I understand it, Alameda County wrote an ordinance concerning where gun stores could exist that it essentially banned them from the county.
No gun stores within 500' of residences, other gun stores, schools, bars, liquor stores, churches, etc.

Pretty much no gun stores.

Actually, there are not many real gun stores anywhere in CA. I was staggered when I walked in to Cabelas north of Ft. Worth the first time. They may have a bigger inventory of guns and accessories and ammo in one Cabelas than all the LGSs in San Diego put together.

The LGSs in San Diego, as good as they are, are cheap imitations of a real gun store here. Given what an ordeal it is to buy a gun, one every thirty days, ten day DROS, etc., it's no wonder.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

JALLEN wrote:
Actually, there are not many real gun stores anywhere in CA. .
When I lived in LA in the mid-90s, I knew all the real gun stores by heart, it wasn't exactly over run with them., altho I have forgotten some of the names now. There probably were a lot of pawn shops with FFLs, but in terms of full-up LGS, there were less than 10 in the whole LA metropolitan area. Pony Express was pretty good, it was a big place, bought my first Glock there. LAX gun range was pretty good, and I believe it is still in operation and going strong, I noticed some ads and shooting leagues info on the internet last year. There was a small place out in the valley that seemed corner the market on reloading stuff, so I went there a lot for powder and bullets. It was about the size of two of my living rooms in a strip mall, but floor to ceiling in reloading equipment and supplies. There was an old one in... Culver City, I think... that had been there forever, was fair sized, I had read about it in gun magazines when I was kid, but only went there once -- they were not what you call customer oriented, at least on my visit, kinda surly when I asked questions, never went back.

Nagel's gun shop on San Pedro in San Antonio probably has more guns in it than all the LA stores I visited put together. Dury's on Hot Wells Blvd too.
USAF 1982-2005

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

JALLEN wrote:
ELB wrote:
No gun stores within 500' of residences, other gun stores, schools, bars, liquor stores, churches, etc.

Actually, there are not many real gun stores anywhere in CA. I was staggered when I walked in to Cabelas north of Ft. Worth the first time. They may have a bigger inventory of guns and accessories and ammo in one Cabelas than all the LGSs in San Diego put together.

The LGSs in San Diego, as good as they are, are cheap imitations of a real gun store here. Given what an ordeal it is to buy a gun, one every thirty days, ten day DROS, etc., it's no wonder.
I'm driving back to CA next Monday for a 2 week visit with my mom. I'm actually looking forward to walking into the gunstore I used to frequent in Pasadena (Turner's Outdoorsman) and start bragging a little bit about my ARs, 33-round Glock magazines, suppressors, SBRs, no bullet buttons, LTC, etc., etc., just to bask in their admiration and envy...........
"rlol" :smilelol5: :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

ELB wrote:
JALLEN wrote:
Actually, there are not many real gun stores anywhere in CA. .
When I lived in LA in the mid-90s, I knew all the real gun stores by heart, it wasn't exactly over run with them., altho I have forgotten some of the names now. There probably were a lot of pawn shops with FFLs, but in terms of full-up LGS, there were less than 10 in the whole LA metropolitan area. Pony Express was pretty good, it was a big place, bought my first Glock there. LAX gun range was pretty good, and I believe it is still in operation and going strong, I noticed some ads and shooting leagues info on the internet last year. There was a small place out in the valley that seemed corner the market on reloading stuff, so I went there a lot for powder and bullets. It was about the size of two of my living rooms in a strip mall, but floor to ceiling in reloading equipment and supplies. There was an old one in... Culver City, I think... that had been there forever, was fair sized, I had read about it in gun magazines when I was kid, but only went there once -- they were not what you call customer oriented, at least on my visit, kinda surly when I asked questions, never went back.

Nagel's gun shop on San Pedro in San Antonio probably has more guns in it than all the LA stores I visited put together. Dury's on Hot Wells Blvd too.
There was a very well known purveyor of custom 1911s in Glendale called King's Gun Works back then. I still have a recoil buffer in my old Ithaca 1911 that I bought there. It sold in 2008, and now it is called American Gun Works, but still in the same location.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

rotor

Post by rotor »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
JALLEN wrote:
ELB wrote:

I'm driving back to CA next Monday for a 2 week visit with my mom. I'm actually looking forward to walking into the gunstore I used to frequent in Pasadena (Turner's Outdoorsman) and start bragging a little bit about my ARs, 33-round Glock magazines, suppressors, SBRs, no bullet buttons, LTC, etc., etc., just to bask in their admiration and envy...........
"rlol" :smilelol5: :mrgreen:
I was in college in 1960 and used to go to a gunshop in Pasadena. It was an amazing store and seemed to have everything. Unfortunately I had no money. But I could look. The danger is that what happened in California could happen anywhere. Who would have believed it could happen?

KLB

Post by KLB »

rotor wrote:The danger is that what happened in California could happen anywhere. Who would have believed it could happen?
One Supreme Court appointment and it will likely be that bad or worse throughout the country.

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/vol ... doctrines/

Detailed explanation of the ruling.
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “Other States”