So Good News, Bad News

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Haas
Posts in topic: 7

So Good News, Bad News

Post by Haas »

Good News, I got my LTC. Had it for about two months and carry often. Picked up an M&P shield .40 for my EDC.

Bad News, wouldn't you know it my wife's company want's us to move to New Jersey for a couple of years for a "career development" position. We should be returning to Texas in three to four years.

So I have a couple question I could use some help with.

1: What happens to my current license and if we move back before it expires can I just renew it and carry on or will I need to go through the whole process again?

2: Is there a non-resident license I can switch my current license to? I know I won't be able to carry in NJ but I'll at least be able to carry when I'm out of the state.

Thanks for any help and advice.
:txflag: I love this place

Keith B
Posts in topic: 4

Re: So Good News, Bad News

Post by Keith B »

When you move, you need to change your address with DPS. Your LTC will become a non-resident license. You can renew it even if you live in another state. When you move back, just change it to your new Texas address and it becomes a resident license again.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
Haas

Post by Haas »

Really! that's awesome. I thought it was going to be something hard and cost more money. THANKS

JustSomeOldGuy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

any chance you can reside in Pennsylvania near the eastern border and she commutes to work?
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

thatguyoverthere
Posts in topic: 2

Post by thatguyoverthere »

Of course, per my understanding, keep in mind that New Jersey does not honor any other state's concealed carry license. You would have to try to obtain a NJ license (emphasis on "try").

Keith B
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Keith B »

Haas wrote:Really! that's awesome. I thought it was going to be something hard and cost more money. THANKS
Well, it will cost you $25 when you change the address, but that's it.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Haas wrote:Really! that's awesome. I thought it was going to be something hard and cost more money. THANKS
Moving to NJ is penalty enough. :mrgreen:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

thatguyoverthere

Post by thatguyoverthere »

Haas wrote: I know I won't be able to carry in NJ but I'll at least be able to carry when I'm out of the state.
thatguyoverthere wrote:Of course, per my understanding, keep in mind that New Jersey does not honor any other state's concealed carry license. You would have to try to obtain a NJ license (emphasis on "try").
Oops. Guess I shouldn't be watching Bugs Bunny with the grandkids while I'm posting! :oops:

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:any chance you can reside in Pennsylvania near the eastern border and she commutes to work?
Personally, I would make that a condition of my agreement to move. New Jersey isn't a very wide state so its not like the commute would be that bad. Look at it this way. It's better for her to lose some of her personal freedom (free time) so you both don't completely lose your personal freedom (RKBA).

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ScottDLS »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
JustSomeOldGuy wrote:any chance you can reside in Pennsylvania near the eastern border and she commutes to work?
Personally, I would make that a condition of my agreement to move. New Jersey isn't a very wide state so its not like the commute would be that bad. Look at it this way. It's better for her to lose some of her personal freedom (free time) so you both don't completely lose your personal freedom (RKBA).
Taxes are lower in PA too for money that you don't earn in NJ. And handgun carry in PA is less restricted than it is in Texas once you get your PA LTCF.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Topic author
Haas

Post by Haas »

ScottDLS wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Taxes are lower in PA too for money that you don't earn in NJ. And handgun carry in PA is less restricted than it is in Texas once you get your PA LTCF.
I'm working on the Pennsylvania angle, I keep sending her Zillow listings for the area. As far as making it a condition, I lost that leverage when I took my current dead end job. :banghead:

Topic author
Haas

Post by Haas »

thatguyoverthere wrote:Of course, per my understanding, keep in mind that New Jersey does not honor any other state's concealed carry license. You would have to try to obtain a NJ license (emphasis on "try").
"rlol" Yeah my understanding is that I'd have better luck winning the lottery without buying a ticket. I would just like to keep my license current so when we get back to Texas everything runs smoothly.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:New Jersey isn't a very wide state so its not like the commute would be that bad.
"rlol" Clearly you have never lived there.

I lived about 8 miles from work and it was a 45 minute commute. 15 minutes on Saturday/Sunday. Worst year of my professional life.
Nothing could make me do that again short of a corporate helicopter and a unicorn carry license. Still unlikely even then.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

aero10

Post by aero10 »

Keith B wrote:When you move, you need to change your address with DPS. Your LTC will become a non-resident license.
Make sure when you check reciprocity, that you check it against a non-resident license. Some states (Florida did at one point and may still) have different reciprocity rules based off of whether your license is resident or non-resident. At one point, you couldn't carry in Florida if you had a non-resident Florida license.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ScottDLS »

aero10 wrote:
Keith B wrote:When you move, you need to change your address with DPS. Your LTC will become a non-resident license.
Make sure when you check reciprocity, that you check it against a non-resident license. Some states (Florida did at one point and may still) have different reciprocity rules based off of whether your license is resident or non-resident. At one point, you couldn't carry in Florida if you had a non-resident Florida license.
I think it was that you couldn't (and can't) carry in Florida on a non-resident license OTHER THAN FLORIDA. It would seem crazy for Florida to issue a non-resident license that they don't recognize. :confused5
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Return to “Other States”