New license says nothing about "Conceal"

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
RiderDean
Posts in topic: 3

New license says nothing about "Conceal"

Post by RiderDean »

I just got my first renewal license in the mail. Now I know why guys have been saying "LTC" not "CHL".
My question is with reciprocity. Could we run into any problems in another state since our license makes no mention of Conceal?

There is also no mention of revolver vs pistol. Did we remove that restriction?

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Re: New license says nothing about "Conceal"

Post by Beiruty »

No,
Yes.
Soon, your LTC would be recognized in all US states and territories
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Topic author
RiderDean

Post by RiderDean »

thanks!

louisf1

Post by louisf1 »

Beiruty wrote:No,
Yes.
Soon, your LTC would be recognized in all US states and territories
I think you may be counting your chickens before they are hatched. A bill has been introduced and that is all at this point.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

The license, here in Texas, now covers OC and CC, but when visiting other states you must abide by and follow their laws regarding carry. If the other state does not allow OC then you still cannot OC just because our license permits us to do so in Texas.

Be very careful and mindful of the laws of whatever other states you carry in.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

C-dub wrote:The license, here in Texas, now covers OC and CC, but when visiting other states you must abide by and follow their laws regarding carry. If the other state does not allow OC then you still cannot OC just because our license permits us to do so in Texas.

:iagree:

This.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

C-dub wrote:The license, here in Texas, now covers OC and CC, but when visiting other states you must abide by and follow their laws regarding carry. If the other state does not allow OC then you still cannot OC just because our license permits us to do so in Texas.

And only spend tourist dollars in free states. :mrgreen:

Topic author
RiderDean

Post by RiderDean »

I wasn't referring to OC in other states. I was referring to CC in reciprocal states and the fact that our license specifically doesn't mention "conceal" And could a LOE or other authority argue that we do not have license to conceal and therefor are breaking the law in their state. I just remember a time when OC required nothing and concealed required a permit. An LOE with no knowledge of Texas law could interpret as a license to carry but not conceal.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

RiderDean wrote:I wasn't referring to OC in other states. I was referring to CC in reciprocal states and the fact that our license specifically doesn't mention "conceal" And could a LOE or other authority argue that we do not have license to conceal and therefor are breaking the law in their state. I just remember a time when OC required nothing and concealed required a permit. An LOE with no knowledge of Texas law could interpret as a license to carry but not conceal.
Not going to happen. The license in Texas is to do both CC and OC. However, states that recognize Texas LTC treat it as if it was one of their own state licenses restricting and allowing based on their own state's law.

There was some argument back when OK allowed licensed OPEN carry that Texas CHL holders couldn't carry because Texas didn't allow it. OK AG said this was bogus and plenty of Texan's open carried in OK before 1/1/16.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

RiderDean wrote:I just got my first renewal license in the mail. Now I know why guys have been saying "LTC" not "CHL".
My question is with reciprocity. Could we run into any problems in another state since our license makes no mention of Conceal?

There is also no mention of revolver vs pistol. Did we remove that restriction?
In the most friendliest manner that I can use, I suggest that you ask an instructor if you can sit in on one of their classes. Some of your concerns have been changed for years. Also, download a CHL 16 on the DPS website and read it, even the boring parts. :tiphat:

You are more than welcome to one of my classes at no charge. (I do accept tips)
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Return to “Other States”