Go Florida! Why can't we get a few Texas legislators to do this?

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Zombified
Posts in topic: 1

Go Florida! Why can't we get a few Texas legislators to do this?

Post by Zombified »

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Go Florida! Why can't we get a few Texas legislators to do this?

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Wow. It sounds like Florida judges are as bad as Texas judges when it comes to just making up laws that they wish were actually passed by the legislature. Someone needs to explain to these folks that being a judge is not the same as being a Deity.

Threatening to throw the Sheriff in jail unless he violates the law? I wonder who the judge plans on making the arrest. I also wonder how the judge would react if the Sheriff responded by arresting him for abuse of power. Now that would be really interesting.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

In Louisiana the only one that can arrest the Sheriff of the Parish is the Parish Coroner...or so I saw on Discovery channel...
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

ScottDLS wrote:In Louisiana the only one that can arrest the Sheriff of the Parish is the Parish Coroner...or so I saw on Discovery channel...
I do not know if the law has changed, but this used to be the law in Arkansas.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

ScottDLS wrote:In Louisiana the only one that can arrest the Sheriff of the Parish is the Parish Coroner...or so I saw on Discovery channel...

In Texas it is the Constable.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Jusme wrote:

In Texas it is the Constable.
I would assume DPS/Rangers could do it too, but maybe it has to be a County LEO like a Constable.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

bigtek
Banned

Post by bigtek »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:Wow. It sounds like Florida judges are as bad as Texas judges when it comes to just making up laws that they wish were actually passed by the legislature. Someone needs to explain to these folks that being a judge is not the same as being a Deity.

Threatening to throw the Sheriff in jail unless he violates the law? I wonder who the judge plans on making the arrest. I also wonder how the judge would react if the Sheriff responded by arresting him for abuse of power. Now that would be really interesting.
:thumbs2: We have the psycho judges. It would be nice if we had some of those sheriffs and legislators to balance the teapot tyrants.

Last I heard, the sheriff called his bluff and the judge agreed to let the Florida Second District Court of Appeal decide.

Situations like this are a great example why fines should be paid by the official violating the law, not the taxpayers.
Deck the halls with nitroglycerin
Fa la la la la la la la la!
Strike a match and see who's missin'
Fa la la la la la la la la!

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

bigtek wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:Wow. It sounds like Florida judges are as bad as Texas judges when it comes to just making up laws that they wish were actually passed by the legislature. Someone needs to explain to these folks that being a judge is not the same as being a Deity.

:thumbs2: We have the psycho judges. It would be nice if we had some of those sheriffs and legislators to balance the teapot tyrants.

Last I heard, the sheriff called his bluff and the judge agreed to let the Florida Second District Court of Appeal decide.

Situations like this are a great example why fines should be paid by the official violating the law, not the taxpayers.
Fines are a start, but I'm not sure why they shouldn't face jail time for illegal acts that would land me in jail. Maybe the idea is that since I am the public official's boss, I should know better? After all, they are just my employee, and may be a bit slow.

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

Ya'll might want to research the whole "Only a Constable can arrest a Sheriff in Texas" thing.

To my knowledge (21 years LEO) there is no statute or law, in Texas anyway, that provides the Sheriff immunity from arrest by any other peace officer.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

LeonCarr wrote:Ya'll might want to research the whole "Only a Constable can arrest a Sheriff in Texas" thing.

To my knowledge (21 years LEO) there is no statute or law, in Texas anyway, that provides the Sheriff immunity from arrest by any other peace officer.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
:iagree:
When I was a LEO(Municipal PD) We arrested the Harris County, TX, Precinct 2 Constable.
I am not sure what the eventual outcome was but he could have been charged with Disorderly Conduct, P. I., and resisting arrest at a minimum.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Zoo

Post by Zoo »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
bigtek wrote:Situations like this are a great example why fines should be paid by the official violating the law, not the taxpayers.
Fines are a start, but I'm not sure why they shouldn't face jail time for illegal acts that would land me in jail.
They should. However, this story is about the Florida version of fines for signs, which has teeth.
The city is not a concrete jungle. It is a human zoo.

remington79

Post by remington79 »

I'd have to look it up but I thought the Sheriff was the chief LEO in their county since they are elected. I can't remember the case but it had to do with the Sheriff of a county who would not enforce the Brady Bill and the court said he was the highest LEO and there was nothing they could do about him not enforcing it.
Sent to you from Galt's Gulch.

Return to “Other States”