Mass. brother's red tape journey to his LTC & 1st pistol

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 2
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Mass. brother's red tape journey to his LTC & 1st pistol

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Believe it or not, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts has made some strides in
issuing LTC's (License to Carry) to average citizens.

That doesn't mean the process is anything like a "shall issue" state such as much of the US.
Mass. is a "may issue" state.

My brother is a US military veteran, clean record, clean lifestyle.
His application required him to write an essay detailing why he wanted his LTC.

Mass. LTC applicants must be interviewed by their local police departments, who have the
power to say yes or not to the LTC application.

Around October 2016 my brother set an appointment with his local police department's detective
who was in charge of the LTC interviews. The appointment was about 10 weeks out, on 12/28/16.
He was approved for his LTC as a result of that interview, and told that the plastic was to be
available about 3/15/17. Another 10 week wait.

About 3/7/17 my brother was getting antsy and visited his local police station. His plastic
was at the police station with an issuance date of 2/14/17! His local LEO's had been sitting on
his approved plastic for the better part of a month without letting him know it was in!

Since he didn't have a handgun, he started window shopping for his first handgun. He had looked
at a lot of them, but was initially drawn to a Canik 9MM. He liked the looks and feel of the pistol,
but it didn't have a manual safety, which he wanted.

He asked me about Canik. I knew it was Turkish, but I couldn't recall anyone on this board recently
who had one, and their opinion of it. I tried to encourage him to go with one of the more familiar
pistol brands.

Mass. has an "approved list" of handguns. You can't buy certain brands or models. I believe Springfield
Armory and Taurus handguns are not on the list. So I couldn't suggest a Springer, which I like.

The next time he went shopping for his handgun, he handled about 8 or 10 different models. He could
not remember all the models.

I had previously pointed him in the direction of either a Smith and Wesson Shield, or a Ruger American.
He handled the Shield, as well as a Ruger SR9.

He went home with the Shield, 9MM, with a manual safety, for $379.

Mission accomplished.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Take Down Sicko
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Mass. brother's red tape journey to his LTC & 1st pistol

Post by Take Down Sicko »

I have that same pistol and its a great gun. Buying holsters can be habit forming. I have at least five different ones for my shield 9mm. I think he will be happy with it once he get some practice in. Welcome to the "Can't Have Enough Pistols" club.(and accessories)

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

There is some entirely liberal perversion of reality when you cannot legally purchase a "Springfield Armory" firearm in Mass. Where did they think the name originated??? :mad5

I am surprised that they haven't completely run S&W out of Springfield yet as well. Just give them time... :banghead:
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

When I moved to Texas I had to give up the right to carry a handgun, Back in those days geting a handgun permit wasn't a big deal, Filled out an application at the police station, Waited a couple of weeks and they called me in. They sent me to dungeons of the police station. Had me shoot a few rounds at a paper target with the gun they provided me with.
I moved to Texas I was stripped of these rights. Things have changed so much
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

His application required him to write an essay detailing why he wanted his LTC.

This seems to me to be the most ridiculous part of the process, (not that it isn't full of overreach) I would think that this would open up a black market, for the more proficient writers, to sell essays which had gotten approval. Sort of like term papers for students do now.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Jusme wrote:His application required him to write an essay detailing why he wanted his LTC.

This seems to me to be the most ridiculous part of the process, (not that it isn't full of overreach) I would think that this would open up a black market, for the more proficient writers, to sell essays which had gotten approval. Sort of like term papers for students do now.
Do they deduct points for grammar, punctuation, and spelling errors??
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

An essay? Really? :shock:

For me, that might be one of those few situations where I would have a hard time telling it like it is.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

The process is ridiculous, obviously. But I would have had a good time writing the essay. I likely would have felt compelled to quote the Federalist papers, and to go into a lengthy dissertation on the events leading up to the founding of this country. Maybe start with why I would like to please have the privileges of voting, practicing my religious beliefs, and speaking my mind on political topics. Then I would explain why I believe that I should be "allowed" to exercise my natural human right to keep and bear arms.

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

anygunanywhere wrote:
Do they deduct points for grammar, punctuation, and spelling errors??
The grammar nazi in me sure hopes so! :biggrinjester:

ELB

Post by ELB »

If you want to read something sad and horrifying, go to http://www.longislandfirearms.com/forum/ and read through the posts on how to get a firearms permit in NY. Not to carry, just to have one at home and to the range, and only the range, with. They have a separate forum for Nassau County (whose DA has traditionally been extremely anti-gun, especially anti-handgun), and another for Suffolk County, and one for NYC and NYS. What a nightmare.

It's nice that Mass has apparently made some advancements, but still ...
USAF 1982-2005

rotor

Post by rotor »

Jusme wrote:His application required him to write an essay detailing why he wanted his LTC.

Seems like requiring reading skill to be able to vote. Now you need to have writing skills as well. Couldn't some "disadvantaged minority" claim discrimination? Wish S&W and Savage would vote with their feet. Follow Magpul's lead.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

rotor wrote:

Seems like requiring reading skill to be able to vote. Now you need to have writing skills as well. Couldn't some "disadvantaged minority" claim discrimination? Wish S&W and Savage would vote with their feet. Follow Magpul's lead.
This is a good point. If a voter ID law is discriminatory because a lot of minorities can't get a picture ID, then how is an essay requirement not also discriminatory. I'm sure the ACLU will be all over this.

Oh wait. I forgot that the ACLU is only interested in supporting liberal endorsed civil liberties nowadays.

Topic author
surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Another firearm maker in Mass. that should leave is Kahr.
They are based in Worcester.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Return to “Other States”