Private sale of a handgun by an Illinois resident to a Texas resident

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

remington79
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Private sale of a handgun by an Illinois resident to a Texas resident

Post by remington79 »

Dd you fly or drive up there? If you drove he could then just gift it to you and keep the government out of it all together. Keep it at his house until you left and then put it in your trunk. If you flew I could see wanting to do the FFL transfer to avoid hassle at the airport.
Sent to you from Galt's Gulch.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ScottDLS »

remington79 wrote:Dd you fly or drive up there? If you drove he could then just gift it to you and keep the government out of it all together. Keep it at his house until you left and then put it in your trunk. If you flew I could see wanting to do the FFL transfer to avoid hassle at the airport.
You can't legally transfer a firearm to a resident of another state without involvement of a FFL.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

MeMelYup
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MeMelYup »

ScottDLS wrote:
remington79 wrote:Dd you fly or drive up there? If you drove he could then just gift it to you and keep the government out of it all together. Keep it at his house until you left and then put it in your trunk. If you flew I could see wanting to do the FFL transfer to avoid hassle at the airport.
You can't legally transfer a firearm to a resident of another state without involvement of a FFL.
I believe that is incorrect. You cannot transfer handguns, rifles are ok. From Texas I can go to Louisiana, Colorado or Idaho and buy a rifle and take possession, but if I buy a handgun it must be shipped to a FFL within my home state and a 4473 filled out before I can take possession.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ScottDLS »

MeMelYup wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
I believe that is incorrect. You cannot transfer handguns, rifles are ok. From Texas I can go to Louisiana, Colorado or Idaho and buy a rifle and take possession, but if I buy a handgun it must be shipped to a FFL within my home state and a 4473 filled out before I can take possession.
No guns interstate without a ffl. A ffl can sell a gun to an out of state resident if both states allow it.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Return to “Other States”