Cali, Oregon and Washington handgun laws?

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
JCC511
Posts in topic: 2

Cali, Oregon and Washington handgun laws?

Post by JCC511 »

Looking at a road trip after flying into Cali and deciding if we want to check our handguns. We would be traveling north through Oregon and Washington. Possibly Canada and Alaska. I believe Alaska has reciprocity with Texas.
submitted 11/14/2016 received 12/9/2016
my wife's 11/14/2016 received 3/8/2017

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Re: Cali, Oregon and Washington handgun laws?

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

I haven't done any in depth research, but there's no way I would take my handguns to California.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Keith B »

JCC511 wrote:Looking at a road trip after flying into Cali and deciding if we want to check our handguns. We would be traveling north through Oregon and Washington. Possibly Canada and Alaska. I believe Alaska has reciprocity with Texas.
You can't take handguns into Canada. Period. And, as stated, I wouldn't take a handgun to California. And there is no reciprocity with any of the three contiguous states, so best to leave it home.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:I haven't done any in depth research, but there's no way I would visit California.

Fixed it for you
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Flightmare wrote:
TexasJohnBoy wrote:I haven't done any in depth research, but there's no way I would visit California.

Fixed it for you
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

Your handgun is most likely fine in California (assuming it's not considered a California assault weapon), you just can't carry it because California only recognizes their own CCW licenses. Don't bring magazines over 10 rounds. Any handgun and magazine that's legal in Texas is legal in Oregon, Washington and Alaska. You won't able to CCW in Oregon, because Oregon only issues out-of-state permits to residents of contiguous states (California, Nevada, Idaho and Washington). Unlicensed open carry is legal in most places in Oregon, but not in a few cities. If you get a Utah permit ahead of time then you can carry in Washington, they're the easiest non-resident Washington-reciprocal permit to get. You could also apply for a non-resident Washington permit while you're there, but it won't help you on that trip. They'll mail it to you a month or two after you apply, and you can only apply in person. Alaska doesn't require a permit to carry, and they're reciprocal with Texas anyways.

Your big problem is Canada. Last I checked, the only way you could go to Alaska from the lower 48 with a handgun is to take the Alaska ferry, or fly. If you take the ferry, you have to check your firearms on the boat when you load. http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/policies.shtml

Alaska2texas

Post by Alaska2texas »

I drove from fairbanks alaska to texas two years ago. Drove through canada obviously, they do not allow firearms across their borders. They stop and search ecery vehicle, they took my tazer and bear spray even. Luckily i had shipped my guns with my household items or they would have been confiscated. Only way is through farry if i remember right.

Other than that alaska has NO open carry law. Carry openly wherever, they see if as a protection from bears/moose. And they are reciprocal! Cheers
"The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

strogg

Post by strogg »

Good to know about Alaska. But yeah, if you know what you're going to do with your handguns (go to the range with family/friends), then you may consider bringing them. If you want to have them with you "just because", I suggest against it. To me, it is way more trouble than it's worth just to have some unloaded handguns locked in your trunk for a trip out west. Especially if you are going to Canada.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

my husband and I laugh that many of the guns we bought in CA when we lived there in the late 80's and early 90's are no longer legal there. It's sad really.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Topic author
JCC511

Post by JCC511 »

Thank you all! Good information and advice.
submitted 11/14/2016 received 12/9/2016
my wife's 11/14/2016 received 3/8/2017

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

Keith B wrote:
JCC511 wrote:Looking at a road trip after flying into Cali and deciding if we want to check our handguns. We would be traveling north through Oregon and Washington. Possibly Canada and Alaska. I believe Alaska has reciprocity with Texas.
You can't take handguns into Canada. Period. And, as stated, I wouldn't take a handgun to California. And there is no reciprocity with any of the three contiguous states, so best to leave it home.
Actually that is not entirely true. But it takes a buttload of paperwork, some severe restrictions and basically only along the AlCan highway between Washington and Alaska. Personally, If I was driving through I would ship my firearms to Alaska for my pickup once I arrived or ride the Ferry.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Keith B wrote:
I have brought handguns into California a number of times. In fact, I just did it this past May/June. But, I won't fly into California with a gun because I have no faith that California airport employees would know what to do with it. But as long as you keep the gun cased up, unloaded, and stored out of your reach - preferably in the trunk - during vehicle transport, you'll be OK. The gun may not have a magazine capacity greater than 10 rounds.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Other States”