SB354 offered as amendement to SB 1581

Colleges are places to learn, not die at the hands of attention-starved mass-murderers.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

KD5NRH
Posts in topic: 2

Re: SB354 offered as amendement to SB 1581

Post by KD5NRH »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Things aren't always as dead as they may appear.
So there's still a chance that they'll slip one in that bans 30.06 signs from hospitals? :evil2:

Topic author
baldeagle
Posts in topic: 6

Post by baldeagle »

terryg wrote:This is truly great to hear.

I don't like the political process - underhanded deals - sneaking this amendment in here and another one there - blocking bills in committee because you know they would pass on the floor - etc and so on.

But to think that campus carry might have a chance to pass WITHOUT the private exemption?!?!?!? As an employee of private institution, I wanted campus carry to pass but had no real hope that it could actually impact me. It is truly unbelievable.

I understand why SB5 as an amendment paved the way for SB354 as an amendment. But can someone explain to me why the private opt out had to be struck? I like it ... but I don't understand it.
When SB 354 was offered as an amendment to SB 5, in order for it to be germane to SB 5, it had to apply to public institutions only (because that's what SB 5 applied to.) The same was true when it was offered as an amendment to SB 1581. Once SB 5 was offered as an amendment to SB 1581 and passed, SB 354 immediately became germane to the bill, because that parliamentary determination had already been made in the previous battle.

I think you have misunderstood what's in the bill. Private universities will still be able to ban guns on their campuses. SB 354, as amended and passed as an amendment to SB 1581, only applies to public institutions. So I'm afraid you may have been left out in the cold unless the House amends it include private institutions (which could happen, but I don't know all the dynamics of that.)
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

terryg
Posts in topic: 4

Post by terryg »

baldeagle wrote:I think you have misunderstood what's in the bill. Private universities will still be able to ban guns on their campuses. SB 354, as amended and passed as an amendment to SB 1581, only applies to public institutions. So I'm afraid you may have been left out in the cold unless the House amends it include private institutions (which could happen, but I don't know all the dynamics of that.)
Yes, I may have mis-understood. But that is what others are saying happened earlier in this thread:
RPB wrote:
Hoi Polloi wrote:Does this mean there was no private school opt-out?

I'm just catching up for today. IIRC, to make it germane to Zaff's bill, he couldn't have the private school opt-out. I'm wondering if that carried over.
I think that's correct, Zaffrini FORCED Wentworth to remove private school opt out so it would be broad enough to be germane.
Then she opened the door for him.
... this space intentionally left blank ...

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 24

Post by RPB »

I could be wrong ... I was once. :shock:
Right now all I can think is call Representative; call calendars
My brain hurts from doing this too much lately :banghead:
Probably that rattle I been hearing :mrgreen:
I missed watching Chuck for the first time ever (except when Obama pre-empted it to say whatever he said and I was forced to watch another channel)
Last edited by RPB on Mon May 09, 2011 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Hoi Polloi

Post by Hoi Polloi »

OldSchool wrote:Great news to hear on the tarmac in LA!!! (Is that irony, or what?)

Uh, what is "engrossment" (seriously)?
I had to look it up, too. I found a really cool website!

Guide to Texas Legislative Information (GTLI) --> Process for a Bill --> Floor Action

"When the bill is passed in the originating chamber, the bill is engrossed (all corrections and amendments are incorporated into it), and an exact and accurate copy of the engrossed bill is prepared and sent to the opposite chamber for consideration."
Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you. -St. Augustine
We are reformers in Spring and Summer; in Autumn and Winter we stand by the old;
reformers in the morning, conservers at night. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hoi Polloi

Post by Hoi Polloi »

The conversation at our house tonight about Campus Carry passing the Senate brought to mind this clip:

[youtube][/youtube]

:thumbs2:
Last edited by Hoi Polloi on Mon May 09, 2011 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you. -St. Augustine
We are reformers in Spring and Summer; in Autumn and Winter we stand by the old;

terryg
Posts in topic: 4

Post by terryg »

Hoi Polloi wrote:The conversation at our house tonight about Campus Carry passing the Senate brought to mind this clip:

I love the Princess Bride!!!!!!

(but the clip can't be embedded ...)
... this space intentionally left blank ...

Hoi Polloi

Post by Hoi Polloi »

terryg wrote:
Hoi Polloi wrote:The conversation at our house tonight about Campus Carry passing the Senate brought to mind this clip:

I love the Princess Bride!!!!!!

(but the clip can't be embedded ...)
Argh! I could only find one other copy of that clip online and that one apparently can't be embedded, either. Frustrating!

bigmoney
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bigmoney »

Thanks for sending the links RPB and Jasonw560. It gets hard to keep up with the titles to some of these. Great news for guys like me going back to school at public colleges! I love Texas. I always say, Georgia gave me the love, Texas gave me the right!
Can't wait to see what happens next. BIg Win! :cheers2:
Don't choose a username while a stupid insurrance commercial is on the tv
M&P 9c edc
LCP bug
NRA

Jasonw560
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Jasonw560 »

Anytime. Always happy to help someone learn. :tiphat:
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

TrueFlog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TrueFlog »

baldeagle wrote:

I don't like the political process - underhanded deals - sneaking this amendment in here and another one there - blocking bills in committee because you know they would pass on the floor - etc and so on.

But to think that campus carry might have a chance to pass WITHOUT the private exemption?!?!?!? As an employee of private institution, I wanted campus carry to pass but had no real hope that it could actually impact me. It is truly unbelievable.

I understand why SB5 as an amendment paved the way for SB354 as an amendment. But can someone explain to me why the private opt out had to be struck? I like it ... but I don't understand it.
When SB 354 was offered as an amendment to SB 5, in order for it to be germane to SB 5, it had to apply to public institutions only (because that's what SB 5 applied to.) The same was true when it was offered as an amendment to SB 1581. Once SB 5 was offered as an amendment to SB 1581 and passed, SB 354 immediately became germane to the bill, because that parliamentary determination had already been made in the previous battle.

I think you have misunderstood what's in the bill. Private universities will still be able to ban guns on their campuses. SB 354, as amended and passed as an amendment to SB 1581, only applies to public institutions. So I'm afraid you may have been left out in the cold unless the House amends it include private institutions (which could happen, but I don't know all the dynamics of that.)
Wentworth's amendment to SB1581 is not available online yet, but the original amendment from SB5 is here. The amendment makes no distinction between public or private institutions. In fact, it does not use the terms "public institution" or "private institution" at all. The result is that it decriminalizes carrying on all institutions of higher education, and prevents the same institutions from adopting any policies against carrying. So, assuming that today's amendment is the same as the one previously attached to SB5, Terryg is correct that it applies equally to both public and private campuses.

Topic author
baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

TrueFlog wrote:
baldeagle wrote:

Wentworth's amendment to SB1581 is not available online yet, but the original amendment from SB5 is here. The amendment makes no distinction between public or private institutions. In fact, it does not use the terms "public institution" or "private institution" at all. The result is that it decriminalizes carrying on all institutions of higher education, and prevents the same institutions from adopting any policies against carrying. So, assuming that today's amendment is the same as the one previously attached to SB5, Terryg is correct that it applies equally to both public and private campuses.
In order for Wentworth's amendment to be germane to SB 5, he had to remove the language that included private colleges in campus carry legislation. I doubt that he was able to add them back in to his amendment to SB 1581, but we'll know tomorrow when the bill is posted with its amendments.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Yeah I THOUGHT it did that, but I only slept from 3:15 until 3:45 a.m. last night so ... for a minute I thought I was mistaken ... but I was wrong.
The result is that it decriminalizes carrying on all institutions of higher education, and prevents the same institutions from adopting any policies against carrying.
Zaffrini insisted on that .... else it wouldn't be "Germane"
Last edited by RPB on Mon May 09, 2011 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm no lawyer

Jasonw560
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Jasonw560 »

Read Education Code 61.003.

(8) "Institution of higher education" means any public technical institute, public junior college, public senior college or university, medical or dental unit, public state college, or other agency of higher education as defined in this section.

(6) "Other agency of higher education" means The University of Texas System, System Administration; Texas Western University Museum; Texas A & M University System, Administrative and General Offices; Texas Agricultural Experiment Station; Texas Agricultural Extension Service; Rodent and Predatory Animal Control Service (a part of the Texas Agricultural Extension Service); Texas Engineering Experiment Station (including the Texas Transportation Institute); Texas Engineering Extension Service; Texas Forest Service; Texas Tech University Museum; Texas State University System, System Administration; Sam Houston Memorial Museum; Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum; Cotton Research Committee of Texas; Water Resources Institute of Texas; Texas Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory; and any other unit, division, institution, or agency which shall be so designated by statute or which may be established to operate as a component part of any public senior college or university, or which may be so classified as provided in this chapter.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

hush now before we accidentally prove it isn't germane "rlol"

Education Code 61.003. definitions needs revision? ..... ok I'll put it on the TO-DO list if they don;t run out of time.
I'm no lawyer

Return to “Concealed Carry on College Campuses”