Campus Carry. What Happened?

Colleges are places to learn, not die at the hands of attention-starved mass-murderers.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Ameer
Posts in topic: 1

Campus Carry. What Happened?

Post by Ameer »

What happened? :headscratch

Three months ago, Charles sounded certain campus carry would pass this year.
Charles L. Cotton wrote:I'm not the least bit concerned that you will be able to derail the campus-carry bills.

Chas.
Now we're in a situation where we didn't even get a watered down version.
1. The House didn't pass HB750.
1a. They didn't debate and vote on it because Straus and Friends derailed it being scheduled on the calendar.
2. The House didn't pass any of the other campus carry bills either. I think there was 3-4 in the House.
3. The Senate didn't pass SB354.
3a. They didn't debate and vote on it because some dishonest Senators broke a written promise.
4. A limited campus carry was added as an amendment to another bill and passed the Senate, but the House stripped it out, thanks once again to Straus and Friends.

How did we get from there to here? We were so confident we would get campus carry legalized for public and private universities, plus prohibitions on public colleges making policies against campus carry. Not only did the enhanced version fail, but we didn't even get decriminalization.

I'm seriously looking into my options for transferring to a school in a state that puts the safety of students ahead of the safety of gang members committing crimes on campus. :mad5
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Campus Carry. What Happened?

Post by Keith B »

Ameer wrote:What happened? :headscratch

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I'm not the least bit concerned that you will be able to derail the campus-carry bills

Chas.
1a. They didn't debate and vote on it because Straus and Friends derailed it being scheduled on the calendar.
2. The House didn't pass any of the other campus carry bills either. I think there was 3-4 in the House.
3a. They didn't debate and vote on it because some dishonest Senators broke a written promise.
4. A limited campus carry was added as an amendment to another bill and passed the Senate, but the House stripped it out, thanks once again to Straus and Friends.

How did we get from there to here? We were so confident we would get campus carry legalized for public and private universities, plus prohibitions on public colleges making policies against campus carry. Not only did the enhanced version fail, but we didn't even get decriminalization.

I'm seriously looking into my options for transferring to a school in a state that puts the safety of students ahead of the safety of gang members committing crimes on campus. :mad5
You can't take something out of context and post it as if it were a general statement and you know it. :totap: Charles was indicating that if the person's post was a threat, that HE and his coworkers would not have the ability to stop campus carry. Subject: Support 2011 HB86 - Campus Carry

And, as Charles has stated, there was a lot more opposition to this legislation that you would like to think. It wasn't just the Woods followers, but tons of schools that the administration rallied and got faculty and students on their sides. The calls against campus carry were outnumbered the pro-campus carry calls to the legislators offices.

So, how do you get from saying it has a good chance of passing to here? Well, let's look at it this way; it made it way farther than any prior legislation has gone. So, while it may not have passed, it sure as heck got a lot more support and attention. CHL was the same way, it took a lot of years before folks realized it was a good thing and passed it.

Now, we just need Parking Lots and Range Protection to make it on through.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

OCD

Post by OCD »

Keith B wrote:So, how do you get from saying it has a good chance of passing to here? Well, let's look at it this way; it made it way farther than any prior legislation has gone.
In that case, we need to mobilize against Ogden, Lucio and Gallegos in the senate, but be we need to focus most of our effort in getting read of the deadwood rinos in the house.

This is the third (fourth?) session for campus carry. Since 2009, the house republican leadership, in the form of Joe Straus, has killed campus carry.

THis year, the calendar committee blocked HB750 for more than two months. A senate version finally broke through, but Straus buried it in POO. (I noticed he didn't use the two subject rule to kill the smoking amendment to a financial bill, but he did to stop a state university RKBA amendment to a state university bill. Proof it's not about the rules, it's abut their anti-RKBA agenda.)

Cleaning house of reps is the only way we'll get our rights recognized by the legislature.
Open Carry Dog

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

OCD wrote:This is the third (fourth?) session for campus carry.
I'm pretty sure this is only the second session for campus carry. I don't see any bills from the 2007 session, and since the Virginia Tech shootings happened during that session it was pre-SCCC, which has been the major force pushing campus carry.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

OCD wrote:
Keith B wrote:So, how do you get from saying it has a good chance of passing to here? Well, let's look at it this way; it made it way farther than any prior legislation has gone.
In that case, we need to mobilize against Ogden, Lucio and Gallegos in the senate, but be we need to focus most of our effort in getting read of the deadwood rinos in the house.

This is the third (fourth?) session for campus carry. Since 2009, the house republican leadership, in the form of Joe Straus, has killed campus carry.

THis year, the calendar committee blocked HB750 for more than two months. A senate version finally broke through, but Straus buried it in POO. (I noticed he didn't use the two subject rule to kill the smoking amendment to a financial bill, but he did to stop a state university RKBA amendment to a state university bill. Proof it's not about the rules, it's abut their anti-RKBA agenda.)

Cleaning house of reps is the only way we'll get our rights recognized by the legislature.
And I don't disagree about voting out those in the House or Senate that are truly Anti-gun folks. But, you can't just throw the baby out with the bath water on those that may have voted against one bill like Campus Carry due to political pressures from their constituents, but are on our side for others. With the tremendous lobbying against Campus Carry, it is no doubt some of them would have a hard time deciding how to vote. It is now our job to convince them of the error in their ways and IF they are reelected, that they need to help get the legislation passed next session when it is introduced again, and to continue to support us on other pro-gun legislation as they have in the past.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

Keith B wrote:
OCD wrote:

And I don't disagree about voting out those in the House or Senate that are truly Anti-gun folks. But, you can't just throw the baby out with the bath water on those that may have voted against one bill like Campus Carry due to political pressures from their constituents, but are on our side for others. With the tremendous lobbying against Campus Carry, it is no doubt some of them would have a hard time deciding how to vote. It is now our job to convince them of the error in their ways and IF they are reelected, that they need to help get the legislation passed next session when it is introduced again, and to continue to support us on other pro-gun legislation as they have in the past.
I am guessing (and hoping) that after this session is over we will get a summation of events from Charles and hopefully a new plan of attack.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Wow, you really took that statement out of context, as Keith pointed out. :mad5 I never said campus-carry was a certainty.

Chas.
Ameer wrote:What happened? :headscratch

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I'm not the least bit concerned that you will be able to derail the campus-carry bills.

Chas.

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

Are Senator or Rep's required to show the contacts they receive in regards to a subject, eg... If Rep "A" gets 1000 calls/email/faxes from "constituents" against Campus Carry do they have to log that info for proof and do they have to show that the contact was an actual constituent of theirs? What I am wondering is are these people saying they got a lot of contacts against CC when they did not?
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

suthdj wrote:Are Senator or Rep's required to show the contacts they receive in regards to a subject, eg... If Rep "A" gets 1000 calls/email/faxes from "constituents" against Campus Carry do they have to log that info for proof and do they have to show that the contact was an actual constituent of theirs? What I am wondering is are these people saying they got a lot of contacts against CC when they did not?

No.

Chas.

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
suthdj wrote:Are Senator or Rep's required to show the contacts they receive in regards to a subject, eg... If Rep "A" gets 1000 calls/email/faxes from "constituents" against Campus Carry do they have to log that info for proof and do they have to show that the contact was an actual constituent of theirs? What I am wondering is are these people saying they got a lot of contacts against CC when they did not?

No.

Chas.
So you can have a phone bank of anti's calling every senator & Rep and not even be a constituent, that is just wrong! I know it can work both ways and that is also wrong, that is not representation.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

suthdj wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

No.

Chas.
So you can have a phone bank of anti's calling every senator & Rep and not even be a constituent, that is just wrong! I know it can work both ways and that is also wrong, that is not representation.
Actually, I disagree. What if your Rep or Senator is against the thing you want passed (i.e. Campus Carry.) If you were stuck with only calling him/her, you would have only one voice. By being able to call the others, I feel it gives options of being able to help override your anti-gun legislator and work to get support for what you want.
Keith

Jasonw560

Post by Jasonw560 »

I know with Sen. Hinojsa's office at least, they had caller ID to see if you were a constituent or not. He staffer read my cell phone number back to me, area code and all.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Jasonw560 wrote:I know with Sen. Hinojsa's office at least, they had caller ID to see if you were a constituent or not. He staffer read my cell phone number back to me, area code and all.
Due to local number portablity, an NPA-NXX doesn't mean you are in a location that is or isn't under their control. Plus, I call from my from my cell phone. I know tons of folks that have cell phones from totally different area codes and even states.
Keith

BrianSW99

Post by BrianSW99 »

Keith B wrote:
suthdj wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

No.

Chas.
Actually, I disagree. What if your Rep or Senator is against the thing you want passed (i.e. Campus Carry.) If you were stuck with only calling him/her, you would have only one voice. By being able to call the others, I feel it gives options of being able to help override your anti-gun legislator and work to get support for what you want.
Also, when Senators and Representatives are sitting on committees, including House Calendars, they are really representing all of us because it's likely your own Senator or Rep is not on the committee for the issues you really care about. I don't have any problem in those cases with them taking feedback from non-constituents. This also includes the House Speaker since he has such a powerful role within the House.

terryg

Post by terryg »

BrianSW99 wrote:Also, when Senators and Representatives are sitting on committees, including House Calendars, they are really representing all of us because it's likely your own Senator or Rep is not on the committee for the issues you really care about. I don't have any problem in those cases with them taking feedback from non-constituents. This also includes the House Speaker since he has such a powerful role within the House.
Right. But I do have a problem with calls from non Texas residents. I suspect a lot of that was going on as well.
... this space intentionally left blank ...

Return to “Concealed Carry on College Campuses”