Questions for security pros

If you have a job you want to offer to TexasCHLforum members first, or if you are looking for a job, post it here.

Moderator: carlson1

Questions for security pros

Postby RottenApple » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:57 pm

I've got a few questions for any security pros out there.

1) Do you need to take and pass the L2 course before moving on to the L3 license or does the L3 include the L2 info?
2) Do you need to be actively employed by a security company prior to taking the L3 class or can you get L3 licensed prior to being employed w/ a security company?
3) Is it worth it to get additional certifications such as baton, OC, etc?

I'm sure I'll have some others after those are answered so hopefully you won't mind my picking your brains a bit more.
User avatar
RottenApple
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1578
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:19 pm
Location: Wylie, TX

Re: Questions for security pros

Postby JJVP » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:11 pm

Looking at your avatar, I'm surprised Apple hasn't sued you yet.

http://creativebits.org/opinion/apple_s ... apple_logo
2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
Alcohol, Tobacco , Firearms. Who's Bringing the Chips?
No Guns. No Freedom. Know Guns. Know Freedom.
User avatar
JJVP
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2093
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:34 pm
Location: League City, TX

Re: Questions for security pros

Postby RottenApple » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:38 pm

JJVP wrote:Looking at your avatar, I'm surprised Apple hasn't sued you yet.

http://creativebits.org/opinion/apple_s ... apple_logo


As I use it for non-commercial, personal use I'm fairly certain that it falls under Fair Use. I've also used it as my work iChat image for the last 2 years. And, as my employer (Apple, Inc.) has never said anything about it, they'd probably have a tough time in court. Not to mention all the negative publicity they'd receive because of it.
User avatar
RottenApple
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1578
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:19 pm
Location: Wylie, TX

Re: Questions for security pros

Postby Thomas » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:30 pm

RottenApple wrote:
JJVP wrote:Looking at your avatar, I'm surprised Apple hasn't sued you yet.

http://creativebits.org/opinion/apple_s ... apple_logo


As I use it for non-commercial, personal use I'm fairly certain that it falls under Fair Use. I've also used it as my work iChat image for the last 2 years. And, as my employer (Apple, Inc.) has never said anything about it, they'd probably have a tough time in court. Not to mention all the negative publicity they'd receive because of it.

If you work for Apple, they wouldn't sue you, they would just fire you. I'm guessing no one really cares or the lawyers haven't seen it yet. They'd rather go after other companies anyway.

Logos over which Apple Inc. sued other other companies:
http://www.gochengdoo.com/images/blog/4647.jpg
http://cultofmac.cultofmaccom.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/misc/jpg/logo.jpg
http://www.wired.com/images/article/full/2008/04/apple_vs_apple_250x.jpg

Of course they believe in the double standard. They launched their phone under the STOLEN trademark "iPhone" which was owned by Cisco.
http://www.slipperybrick.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/cisco-sueing-apple-iphone.jpg

Apple Inc. = Bully

EDIT: Turned images into links.
Last edited by Thomas on Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The greatest reward for serving others is the satisfaction found in your own heart."
User avatar
Thomas
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1161
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: Questions for security pros

Postby OldCannon » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:49 pm

Ok, this thread has officially been hijacked.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.
The Old Cannon Armory is an FFL/SOT in the Austin area. We now carry FROGLUBE products
$20 transfers for current CHL holders, fire/police, and veterans, $30 for others, $50 for Class III items
User avatar
OldCannon
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2817
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:19 am
Location: Pflugerville, TX (Between a Rock and a Weird Place)

Re: Questions for security pros

Postby Thomas » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:01 am

OldCannon wrote:Ok, this thread has officially been hijacked.

Sorry :oops:
"The greatest reward for serving others is the satisfaction found in your own heart."
User avatar
Thomas
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1161
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: Questions for security pros

Postby gigag04 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:31 am

Wow....

Somebody please answer the mans question. OP, you may want to PM Excaliber, who is a wealth of info regarding such things.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison
User avatar
gigag04
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5426
Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 7:47 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Questions for security pros

Postby Skiprr » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:47 am

Back on Topic...
It isn't just important any longer, it's critical. Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today!
NRA Patron Life Member
User avatar
Skiprr
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4655
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:50 pm
Location: Outskirts of Houston

Re: Questions for security pros

Postby Excaliber » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:59 am

RottenApple wrote:I've got a few questions for any security pros out there.

1) Do you need to take and pass the L2 course before moving on to the L3 license or does the L3 include the L2 info?
2) Do you need to be actively employed by a security company prior to taking the L3 class or can you get L3 licensed prior to being employed w/ a security company?
3) Is it worth it to get additional certifications such as baton, OC, etc?

I'm sure I'll have some others after those are answered so hopefully you won't mind my picking your brains a bit more.


1) You need to take and pass the Level II Security Officer course before moving on to the Level III Commissioned Security Officer Course. The Level III course does not include Level II. Level IV (Personal Protection Officer) requires prior completion of Level III.
2) You do not need to be actively employed by a security company prior to taking the L3 class.
3) The value of additional certifications will depend on the type of work you plan to do and the market your prospective employers serve. It can range from very valuable to irrelevant.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.
User avatar
Excaliber
Moderator
 
Posts: 4654
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 9:59 pm
Location: Houston Metro

Re: Questions for security pros

Postby papajohn1964 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:17 pm

RottenApple wrote:I've got a few questions for any security pros out there.

1) Do you need to take and pass the L2 course before moving on to the L3 license or does the L3 include the L2 info?
2) Do you need to be actively employed by a security company prior to taking the L3 class or can you get L3 licensed prior to being employed w/ a security company?
3) Is it worth it to get additional certifications such as baton, OC, etc?

I'm sure I'll have some others after those are answered so hopefully you won't mind my picking your brains a bit more.



I just received my Commissioned Card a few weeks ago. When I took my level III course the level II test and certificate was included, I think most schools do this but verify with them first.

Go ahead and take the level III course but you have to be employed before you can submit your application to the PSB. The problem I had was finding someone to hire me without a card in hand. You have to work for someone to get your card but you have to have your card to work for someone???? Do some searching because being a guard dosen't pay much...expect 9-11 per hour unless you get on a Government contract.

I already had a Alarm Installer license with them so I didn't have to go through the BG check and fingerprinting again. Not sure if the CHL BG check and fingerprints will work or not. If you want to carry a baton or OC you need these certifications.

Hope this helps!
Yes the Marines are a Department of the Navy.....The Mens Department....
CHL since 7/11/11
papajohn1964
Senior Member
 
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:20 pm
Location: Cibolo

Re: Questions for security pros

Postby Excaliber » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:01 pm

papajohn1964 wrote:
RottenApple wrote:I've got a few questions for any security pros out there.

1) Do you need to take and pass the L2 course before moving on to the L3 license or does the L3 include the L2 info?
2) Do you need to be actively employed by a security company prior to taking the L3 class or can you get L3 licensed prior to being employed w/ a security company?
3) Is it worth it to get additional certifications such as baton, OC, etc?

I'm sure I'll have some others after those are answered so hopefully you won't mind my picking your brains a bit more.



I just received my Commissioned Card a few weeks ago. When I took my level III course the level II test and certificate was included, I think most schools do this but verify with them first.

Go ahead and take the level III course but you have to be employed before you can submit your application to the PSB. The problem I had was finding someone to hire me without a card in hand. You have to work for someone to get your card but you have to have your card to work for someone???? Do some searching because being a guard dosen't pay much...expect 9-11 per hour unless you get on a Government contract.

I already had a Alarm Installer license with them so I didn't have to go through the BG check and fingerprinting again. Not sure if the CHL BG check and fingerprints will work or not. If you want to carry a baton or OC you need these certifications.

Hope this helps!


Not all schools include the Level II course with the Level III. The schools I'm familiar with don't, but the Level II contains so little material it's extremely easy to get and it would take no effort at all to integrate it into a Level III course. Folks I know got their Level II certificates (not licenses, which require a lot more effort) in somewhere between 90 minutes (fast readers) and 3 hours (slow readers.) It deals mostly with very basic legal compliance issues, not with operational security topics.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.
User avatar
Excaliber
Moderator
 
Posts: 4654
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 9:59 pm
Location: Houston Metro

Re: Questions for security pros

Postby RottenApple » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:44 am

Thanks, guys. I'll make sure I check with the school before jumping straight to the L3. BTW, I used to work unarmed security a long time ago and looked myself up. Oddly enough my L2 license just expired last year.
User avatar
RottenApple
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1578
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:19 pm
Location: Wylie, TX

Re: Questions for security pros

Postby 40khammer » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:56 pm

1. If you go to the Phoenix Security Academy in Houston you can take the level 3 course and level 2 at the same time. You'll go through the course and then on the last day take both tests. That's what I did.

2. You don't need to be employed to get your certificate, however you wont get your card until you are employed. Your employer will have to send your certificate off to get your card.

3. Go ahead and get baton, OC, and Shotgun certified. It doesn't hurt, and it's nice to have a non-lethal option other than your hands when you need it.
User avatar
40khammer
Member
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 3:25 pm

Re: Questions for security pros

Postby papajohn1964 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:40 pm

Excaliber wrote:
papajohn1964 wrote:
RottenApple wrote:I've got a few questions for any security pros out there.

1) Do you need to take and pass the L2 course before moving on to the L3 license or does the L3 include the L2 info?
2) Do you need to be actively employed by a security company prior to taking the L3 class or can you get L3 licensed prior to being employed w/ a security company?
3) Is it worth it to get additional certifications such as baton, OC, etc?

I'm sure I'll have some others after those are answered so hopefully you won't mind my picking your brains a bit more.



I just received my Commissioned Card a few weeks ago. When I took my level III course the level II test and certificate was included, I think most schools do this but verify with them first.

Go ahead and take the level III course but you have to be employed before you can submit your application to the PSB. The problem I had was finding someone to hire me without a card in hand. You have to work for someone to get your card but you have to have your card to work for someone???? Do some searching because being a guard dosen't pay much...expect 9-11 per hour unless you get on a Government contract.

I already had a Alarm Installer license with them so I didn't have to go through the BG check and fingerprinting again. Not sure if the CHL BG check and fingerprints will work or not. If you want to carry a baton or OC you need these certifications.

Hope this helps!


Not all schools include the Level II course with the Level III. The schools I'm familiar with don't, but the Level II contains so little material it's extremely easy to get and it would take no effort at all to integrate it into a Level III course. Folks I know got their Level II certificates (not licenses, which require a lot more effort) in somewhere between 90 minutes (fast readers) and 3 hours (slow readers.) It deals mostly with very basic legal compliance issues, not with operational security topics.



And mine also included the shotgun endorsment as well...In fact he almost insisted that everyone fire the shotgun. He said that if there was a shotgun on a post and you didn't have the SG endorsment that you couldn't be on that post. If you had your own shotgun it was no charge and if you used theirs it was just $25 and that included the 10 rounds of 00 buck! Now I just need to get my OC and baton....
Yes the Marines are a Department of the Navy.....The Mens Department....
CHL since 7/11/11
papajohn1964
Senior Member
 
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:20 pm
Location: Cibolo

Re: Questions for security pros

Postby txcshooter » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:54 am

I'm considering on becoming an armed commissioned security guard, my question is what equipment is issued to you besides the uniform, if any?
2/20/10 CHL class
4/15/10 His & Hers plastics in hand (51 days)
G19, Walther P22, Mossberg 20ga p/a
"If guns kill people, then spoons make people fat!" -unknown
User avatar
txcshooter
Member
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:39 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

Next

Return to Job Board

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest