Have welder will travel

If you have a job you want to offer to TexasCHLforum members first, or if you are looking for a job, post it here.

Moderator: carlson1

Have welder will travel

Postby SRO1911 » Thu May 03, 2012 4:30 pm

I run a small mobile welding service in the Abilene area and am looking at moving down around San Antonio/Houston area. My better half's people are all down there and she needs to be closer to home. I am currently running my Lincoln vantage 500 on mostly heavy equipment (repair loader buckets, dozer blades, wear plates etc. mainly in rock quarries). Would like to have a little info on whats going on in that part of the state before I take off. With the way the obummerconomy has tanked I am not quite as optimistic as I used to be. Outside of welding I have also done maintenance, both commercial and multi-family residential (800+ units low income apartments) HVAC certified, 7 years running a rifle range, cnc machine experience, and have an associates degree in psychology just for fun. I am one of those slightly hyper people that has never figured out what I want to be when I grow up, so I make it a point to be able to do it all. If I don't know how to do it I know where to learn and will just because I can. :txflag:
When any govt, or church,says This you can't read, are forbidden to know, the result is tyranny and oppression. Little force is needed to control a man who has been hoodwinked; no force can control a free man, not the rack, bombs, not anything, you can't conquer a free man, at most you can kill him.
SRO1911

Re: Have welder will travel

Postby george » Thu May 03, 2012 4:48 pm

There's always something to weld in the oilfield, and there are quite a few independant welders, such as you.

If you want something along that line, I would give notice to the contractors running workover and drilling rigs.

If you are looking for an inside permanent job, I would call up some of the metal fabrication shops. And there are a lot of them in the area (Houston).

I have been gone for a couple of years, so unable to give you names, etc.
... holding His hand.
NRA endowment member
TSRA life member
george

Postby WildBill » Thu May 03, 2012 5:57 pm

I suggest posting your resume on Careerbuilder. People are hiring like crazy and you should be able to land a job quickly so you can move to Houston and stay employed until you develop the contacts to go out on your own.
NRA Life Member
WildBill

Postby Mike1951 » Thu May 03, 2012 11:08 pm

There seems to be a lot of pipeline work going on and I have seen scores of railcar loads of pipe come through the local UP yard.

Truthfully, I haven't seen the same number of welding trucks that I remember from the late '60s and '70s, but it's probably worth looking into.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Mike1951

Return to Job Board