any entry level opportunities?

If you have a job you want to offer to TexasCHLforum members first, or if you are looking for a job, post it here.

Moderator: carlson1

Middle Age Russ
Posts in topic: 1

Re: any entry level opportunities?

Post by Middle Age Russ »

I spent all of 2011 trying to find a "right" position after being laid off from a company that had employed me for a few months shy of twenty years. I am blessed to have found such a position in January this year. Many of the points made by others about networking and using web tools are well made. Keep in mind that if you don't "refresh" your profile on Monster, CareerBuilder, etc... on a fairly regular basis (just change a word or two and save it back) many employers may miss you. Doing this brings you back up as a "New" job searcher for any filters they may apply.

Best of luck in your search.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

apostate

Post by apostate »

We're currently interviewing for a new member of our team. It's not entry level, but I want to share a few thoughts from my experience on this side of the table, in hopes it will help you or someone else searching for a job. As far as I know, we haven't interviewed any Texas CHL forum members, so don't take anything personally.

1. Don't lie on your resume. There's nothing wrong with a little bragging, provided it's true, but don't exaggerate too much. We had one candidate whose actual verifiable experience would have been a good fit, but their resume claimed job titles and responsibilities that were disputed by people we knew at their prior company. Buh-bye.

2. Explain why you're interested in this job. Why this one instead of thousands of others? If you're passionate about some aspect of the work, say so. If you have wanted to do this since you were a little boy or girl, I'm skeptical, but sell me the story. At least show some enthusiasm, even if you have to fake it a little. ;-)

3. Know the job description. You don't have to memorize it, and it's fine to bring a copy with you, but have a clue what the job entails. Consider what we listed as the desired job skills and experience. If you have gaps compared to our wish list, address them rather than ignoring them. Honestly, we would be happy with someone who is an 80% match, provided they have the core skills and seem genuinely interested in learning the rest. If you're potentially overqualified, make sure to address that, or we may assume you'll leave as soon as the economy turns.

4. Ask questions. They don't have to be profound. Request clarification or details about something in the job description. Ask about a recent news story or press release about the company. Heck, ask me to describe a typical work week. Just don't ask about money.

5. Remember the basics. Arrive on time or a few minutes early. Dress appropriately. Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Second the LE reco
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Return to “Job Board”