Hiring top quality HVAC service techs and install techs

If you have a job you want to offer to TexasCHLforum members first, or if you are looking for a job, post it here.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 4

Hiring top quality HVAC service techs and install techs

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Plano/McKinney/Frisco/Allen/Richardson/North Dallas area :thewave

We are looking for good honest people who want to be part of a team environment and have an opportunity to advance with a growing company.

I realize it has become the new rage to pay service technicians by the ticket. Companies such as extreme comfort, A#1, one hour and and few other larger companies are paying in this manner. I am extremely uncomfortable with putting a service technician in a situation that requires he "build a big ticket" in order to survive. Our customers have become accustomed to honesty and I am not willing to risk our reputation on get rich quick tactics. Quite frankly, these companies are flat out walking the line on labor laws concerning hourly classified workers.

We pay a very respectable hourly wage, holidays, vacation pay, 401k, health insurance, extremely steady work. I have been in this business since 1986 and started as a install helper. I have spent the last 14 years building this company as a model of what I would be proud to work for at any level.

Pay Based on Experience. We are offering a signing bonus to the right candidates.

Drop me a PM for more information.

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Hiring top quality HVAC service techs and install techs

Post by RPBrown »

03Lightningrocks wrote:Plano/McKinney/Frisco/Allen/Richardson/North Dallas area :thewave

We are looking for good honest people who want to be part of a team environment and have an opportunity to advance with a growing company.

I realize it has become the new rage to pay service technicians by the ticket. Companies such as extreme comfort, A#1, one hour and and few other larger companies are paying in this manner. I am extremely uncomfortable with putting a service technician in a situation that requires he "build a big ticket" in order to survive. Our customers have become accustomed to honesty and I am not willing to risk our reputation on get rich quick tactics. Quite frankly, these companies are flat out walking the line on labor laws concerning hourly classified workers.

We pay a very respectable hourly wage, holidays, vacation pay, 401k, health insurance, extremely steady work. I have been in this business since 1986 and started as a install helper. I have spent the last 14 years building this company as a model of what I would be proud to work for at any level.

Pay Based on Experience. We are offering a signing bonus to the right candidates.

You just a youngster in the business then :biggrinjester: . I've been in since 1973

Good luck on finding a good one. We have been looking for installers and techs since January. All we get are those fresh out of trade school wanting to make 60k to start.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
03Lightningrocks

RPBrown wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:Plano/McKinney/Frisco/Allen/Richardson/North Dallas area :thewave

You just a youngster in the business then :biggrinjester: . I've been in since 1973

Good luck on finding a good one. We have been looking for installers and techs since January. All we get are those fresh out of trade school wanting to make 60k to start.
OMG!!! Yep... You have a few years on me. :mrgreen: We have the same problem. Our other problem is that some of the technicians are becoming very near sighted about working in his business. It is becoming more and more common for these guys to chase from one company to the next depending on which one is paying the highest percentage of the ticket. It gives me a chuckle when these same fellers are being starved out between November and march. Like I said... They are very near sighted these days.

I could have hired several guys if I were willing to pay based on ticket amount but the incentive at that pay is to sell customers repairs they don't need. Our customers believe we are telling them what is wrong based on the truth, not how much money the technician needs to make.

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RPBrown »

Now that they don't have to go to Austin to take the test, the good techs try going into business for themselves. When things get tough in winter months they go to work for an established company then when it starts to warm up they go back on their own. Or worse, run calls from their business on our time, with our truck and parts. I have fired several for that
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
03Lightningrocks

RP.... Same experience here. Dishonest homeowners are part of the problem as well. It takes a special kind of low life to offer a guy less money to steal parts from the service company they call out and work on the side. The payback comes when this technician who was dishonest enough to steal from me, steals from them... LOL.

When I have customers ask my guys to do repairs on the side and my guys inform me of it, I always call the customer up to personally fire them and make sure they know I am aware of what they did. One time a guy told me I sounded like I was questioning his integrity. I told him he misunderstood me. I didn't need to question his integrity, he already proved his lack of it by asking my technician to steal from me. People crack me up sometimes. They will proclaim how honest they are and turn right around and do something dishonest because they don't have to look the victim in the eye.

Lol... On he other hand... I am that guy who will go back in the grocery store and pay for the water they forgot to ring up under my cart.

Topic author
03Lightningrocks

My pm box is not exactly full yet. :biggrinjester: I was hoping we might have at least one guy on this forum interested.

Return to “Job Board”