Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 11

Re: ACTION NEEDED! Employer parking lot bills

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

immadmacs wrote:The bill was amended to exclude school districts. Is my safety less important because I work for a school district?
Not it isn't, nor are the lives of people who work in the few chemical plants that can be exempt. Unfortunately that amendment was necessary to get the bill out of committee where it would have died otherwise.
immadmacs wrote:Please ask your rep to reconsider excluding school district employees. Perhaps they could require a trigger lock on the gun while it is in the parking lot.
That has no chance of happening and if it did, then time would very likely run out before a conference committee were set up to hammer out the differences, and then send the bill back to both the House and Senate for an up or down vote. We are far better off to get it passed in its current form and try to amend it next session.

Chas.

immadmacs
Posts in topic: 3

Post by immadmacs »

Oh well, one step at a time.

jlangton

Post by jlangton »

immadmacs wrote: Perhaps they could require a trigger lock on the gun while it is in the parking lot.
Don't even go there.
JL
"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
-Thomas Jefferson.

6/14/08-CHL Class
10/15/08-Plastic in Hand

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Called and left voicemail on Calendars Committee number. Called Chairman McCall's Austin office and the phone just rang. This was almost 4:00 p.m., so I may have been too late in the day. Sent a fax to Chairman McCall's Austin office. If interested, his fax number is 512-463-5896.

:waiting:
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Greybeard
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Greybeard »

At 5:20 p.m. I was able to get an answer by a real person (female) at McCall's office and left a polite, but firm message. One minute later, got recording at Calenders number and left a "by people who are supposed to be our friends" message.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

boomerang
Posts in topic: 2

Post by boomerang »

jlangton wrote:
immadmacs wrote: Perhaps they could require a trigger lock on the gun while it is in the parking lot.
Don't even go there.
JL
Trigger locks are dangerous. Don't put anything in the trigger guard unless you want to fire the gun.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

oilman
Posts in topic: 1

Post by oilman »

Called his office and was referred to the Calendars Committee telephone number.

Called and left detailed message to Calendars answering machine.

Pointed out I have a 100 mile round trip commute daily and am currently prevented from having my firearm with me on that trip.

Said we want it passed and have ben waiting for some time for this as it died in committee last year.

mikeintexas
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mikeintexas »

Brian McCall's office just answered the phone. I asked that he move SB730 to the House floor. Guess I'm getting political in my old age!

immadmacs

Post by immadmacs »

jlangton wrote:

Don't even go there.
JL

Trigger locks are dangerous. Don't put anything in the trigger guard unless you want to fire the gun.

So use the lock of your choice. I don't want any lock, but if it allows me to protect myself before and after work, I will compromise. But it is too late now for this session. I support the bill but not the amendments.

jamullinstx

Post by jamullinstx »

Fax sent to Rep. McCall's offices after hours.

boomerang

Post by boomerang »

immadmacs wrote:So use the lock of your choice.
I lock my car. Nobody has to know what's inside.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

jamullinstx

Post by jamullinstx »

A poster on The High Road, in response to Charles' request to contact Rep. Brian McCall, posted that he contacted McCall's office by phone and was told explicitly that Rep. McCall did not tag this bill and is very surprised by the flood of calls and faxes.

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Quote I found at THR: "I just called Brian McCall's office to express my displeasure with this and was told that he did not tag SB730. The young lady that I spoke with said she didn't know where the rumor started."

OK, fine. How 'bout he make his intentions clear by getting SB730 on the Calender immediately!
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

We need to get good info from a his office on this. If in fact he hasn't tagged this bill he needs to step up, as asked by both Charles and myself of his aide in the office, and state such. Best case is seeing them get it set on the House Calendar early so it has an opportunity to hit the floor and be debated and voted on.

Think I will make a couple of additional calls today since he is my Representative. :grumble
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

ELB
Posts in topic: 5

Post by ELB »

Just called McCall's office, said I heard SB730 is still in Calendars Committee and we need to see it out to the House. The gal answering the phone said I need to be sure to call the other members of the committee, since, "they have a voice on this." I asked her if McCall was against the bill. She said, "he doesn't have a problem with it." Then she said be sure to call the rest of the comittee.

On to the rest of the committee...

elb
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “2009 Texas Legislative Session”