Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 7

Campus-Carry Bills Filed Today

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

The campus-carry bill HB1893 by Rep. Joe Driver and SB1164 by Sen. Jeff Wentworth were filed today. I'll post the normal information when it is available.

Start making the calls and faxes folks!

Chas.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Campus-Carry Bills Filed Today

Post by Keith B »

:hurry: :tiphat:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Purplehood »

Called the offices of Senator Dan Patrick and Representative Patricia Harless.

I think they are getting to know my voice...
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

Douva
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Douva »

If you want to support these bills, here is one way to do so:

Purchase a copy of the "SCCC Handbook: Texas Edition" for a Texas Legislator.
Last edited by Douva on Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Just called Rep. McCall and Sen. Shapiro's offices. McCall has always been pro-gun in the past, so think he is on our side. However, Sen. Shapiro is apparently wanting to leave the decision up to the Universities. We all know where THAT would put us.

PLEASE call and make your voice be heard, especially if you are in Sen. Shapiro's or another borderline legislator's district. We need them to know there is a large collective group of their constituents supporting these items! :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

Keith B wrote:Just called Rep. McCall and Sen. Shapiro's offices. McCall has always been pro-gun in the past, so think he is on our side. However, Sen. Shapiro is apparently wanting to leave the decision up to the Universities. We all know where THAT would put us.

PLEASE call and make your voice be heard, especially if you are in Sen. Shapiro's or another borderline legislator's district. We need them to know there is a large collective group of their constituents supporting these items! :thumbs2:
Someone should tell Senator Shapiro that that is what he was elected for, to make those calls.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Purplehood wrote:
Keith B wrote:Just called Rep. McCall and Sen. Shapiro's offices. McCall has always been pro-gun in the past, so think he is on our side. However, Sen. Shapiro is apparently wanting to leave the decision up to the Universities. We all know where THAT would put us.

Someone should tell Senator Shapiro that that is what he was elected for, to make those calls.
Actually, Shapiro is a she. And we need to each call our Senator and Representative. The more voices heard by the legislators that represent us individually, the more they will talk about how they are being bombarded by folks in support of it in their respective districts and understand we are a BIG group across Texas!
Keith

troglodyte
Posts in topic: 1

Post by troglodyte »

My only regret is that it is limited to "higher education".

Oh well, baby steps I guess. Maybe next go around all of us in "lower education" will have the opportunity to legally protect ourselves.

Letters on the way.

NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

I will see what I can do about writing and calling mine.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling neither Senator Kirk Watson (former Mayor of Austin) nor Representative Elliott Naishtat will respond positively.

I don't know their records well, but from what I can tell, they're both pretty liberal democrats.

Anyone know where I can find the TSRA grades for my representatives? I searched and search, to no avail.
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

Letters ready to go. Looks like Fraser has already weighed in with his support, so a thank-you-and-don't-back-down letter to him, and the usual letter to Miller.

Douva

Post by Douva »

NcongruNt wrote:I will see what I can do about writing and calling mine.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling neither Senator Kirk Watson (former Mayor of Austin) nor Representative Elliott Naishtat will respond positively.

I don't know their records well, but from what I can tell, they're both pretty liberal democrats.

Anyone know where I can find the TSRA grades for my representatives? I searched and search, to no avail.
Kirk Watson is a CHL holder and, unless my memory fails me, he has an A+ rating from the TSRA. I ran into him on a flight from D.C. to Austin last August and gave him a copy of an op-ed I wrote on the issue for The Washington Times. He was very friendly and said that he's very interested in the issue. A couple of months later, I had a 45-minute sit-down with his senior policy advisor. She seemed uncertain about how Senator Watson would approach the issue, but she was very receptive of the information we presented.

Elliott Naishtat's record on gun rights isn't great, but he did write me a lengthy personal letter (not a form letter) about why he doesn't think the bill will pass (it wasn't condescending; he simply explained the hurdles he thinks it will face). He closed by promising to read through the "SCCC Handbook." So, even though he's not exactly a champion of gun rights, the fact that he took the time to send a lengthy response to someone who's not even in his district tells me that he's at least willing to look at all sides of the issue.

I've attached the 2008 TSRA Texas House Voter Guide. Only half of the Texas Senate is up for reelection before each session (except for census years, when they're all up for reelection), so you'll have to do a Google search to find past ratings for Texas State Senators.

And seriously, folks, if you want to educate your state legislators (or local newspapers or anyone else) on the facts of the issue at hand, nothing conveys the information better than a professionally printed/bound copy of the "SCCC Handbook: Texas Edition."
Attachments
TSRA House Voter Guide 2008.pdf
(106.62 KiB) Downloaded 77 times

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Purplehood wrote:Called the offices of Senator Dan Patrick and Representative Patricia Harless.

I think they are getting to know my voice...
Then you're the kind of guy we need to answer the call! Thanks for your efforts, and I mean that most sincerely.

Chas.

NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

Douva wrote:

Kirk Watson is a CHL holder and, unless my memory fails me, he has an A+ rating from the TSRA. I ran into him on a flight from D.C. to Austin last August and gave him a copy of an op-ed I wrote on the issue for The Washington Times. He was very friendly and said that he's very interested in the issue. A couple of months later, I had a 45-minute sit-down with his senior policy advisor. She seemed uncertain about how Senator Watson would approach the issue, but she was very receptive of the information we presented.

Elliott Naishtat's record on gun rights isn't great, but he did write me a lengthy personal letter (not a form letter) about why he doesn't think the bill will pass (it wasn't condescending; he simply explained the hurdles he thinks it will face). He closed by promising to read through the "SCCC Handbook." So, even though he's not exactly a champion of gun rights, the fact that he took the time to send a lengthy response to someone who's not even in his district tells me that he's at least willing to look at all sides of the issue.

I've attached the 2008 TSRA Texas House Voter Guide. Only half of the Texas Senate is up for reelection before each session (except for census years, when they're all up for reelection), so you'll have to do a Google search to find past ratings for Texas State Senators.

And seriously, folks, if you want to educate your state legislators (or local newspapers or anyone else) on the facts of the issue at hand, nothing conveys the information better than a professionally printed/bound copy of the "SCCC Handbook: Texas Edition."
Wow. That's quite a surprise. I had no idea about Senator Watson.

I'll see if I can get letters written tomorrow and phone calls made if I have time during the day.

Thanks for the information.
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

Codename46

Post by Codename46 »

Douva wrote:

lol Scott is that you?

Douva

Post by Douva »

Codename46 wrote:
Douva wrote:

lol Scott is that you?
Yep.

Return to “2009 Texas Legislative Session”