3 URGENT ACTION ITEMS: CAMPUS-CARRY

Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

KFP
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 3 URGENT ACTION ITEMS: CAMPUS-CARRY

Post by KFP »

Check me off for all three action items today. Everyone that I spoke with was very pleasant, though I did not keep track of individual responses. I also got a fair number of requests for phone number and/or address that I presume they use to keep track of how often I contact them, and maybe send me a letter thanking me for my input. ;-)

My standard call was something like this:

"Hello, I'm KFP calling from KFPville, TX.

I was calling because I realize that Rep. X is on the Calendars Committee and I would like for the committee to bring HB1893 to the floor for debate.

I whole-heartedly support Campus Carry and feel that it would be a disservice to our state and legislative process not vote on a bill that is sponsored by over half of the house.

Thank you very much, have a good day."

Obviously adjustments were made for the Senate and those who had withdrawn their "public" support (some claimed they would still vote in favor of the bill). SB1164 is already supported by more than 1/3 of the Senate.
Life Member NRA & TSRA

KC5AV
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KC5AV »

TexasComputerDude wrote:What exactly should we say?

"I am calling to voice my support to the campus carry bill" ?
That's a very good way to start. Be sure that you can elaborate a couple of reasons why you support it, and why you think they should support it.

It's also not a bad idea to throw in a thanks for serving.
NRA lifetime member

Douva

Post by Douva »

If you talk to a staffer who doesn't seem to know the facts of the bill (i.e., who would be affected), you can always point him or her to the "Students for Concealed Carry on Campus Handbook: Texas Edition." The address is really easy to remember:

http://www.StudentsForConcealedCarryOnCampus.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (links directly to a PDF of the handbook).

The handbook was updated earlier this week.

If you want to order a professionally printed/bound copy of the handbook, you can do so here:

http://www.cafepress.com/lasttshirts.322143673" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

--Scott

PS. If you web browser has trouble displaying PDF files, you can view the handbook as a Flash document here:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/11922308/SCCC ... as-Edition" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BigBlueDodge
Posts in topic: 9

Post by BigBlueDodge »

My calls all went like this.

"Hi my name is XXXX, I'm calling to talk with someone who could share with me Senator XXX's opinion SB1164, Concealed Carry on College Campuses."

at this point I'll get transferred or the person answering the phone will say "Sure, I can help you with that".

Now, the conversation goes in one of two ways. If the person states that the Senator is in support of the bill, I simply tell them that I also support the bill, and appreciate Senator XXX's leadership and continued support in seeing the bill get the opportunity to reach the Senate floor for a vote.

If the person says that the Senator is not in support of the bill, I politely say "While I respect everyone's opinion, and I do understand that this is a difficult bill, I would like to understand the reasons why Senator XXX does not support the bill". At this point, the aids will throw out some generic claims about "every kid carrying a gun", or "rise in violence will happen". I usually counter these statements with arguments

1. The bill affects only a small majority of the student population, as only 21 yr old or older individuals may acquire a CHL. This would generally mean that about 75% of the student base would not even eligble. And then, from the remaining 25% of the student base, according to current CHL statistics, only 3% of the remaining 25% would probably have a CHL. The odds are probably MUCH lower than 3% because not everyone rushes out to get a CHL. The current 3% CHL population is people aged 21 - 100 yrs old.

2. There is no proven evidence that criminal violence will rise. The same message was being spread in 1995 when the anti-CHL crowd was campaigning against CHL bein instated in Texas. They tried to spread this idea that Texas would go to a wild west days, and people would run rampant in the streets shooting everyone. Additionally, according to DPS published statistics, CHL are safter individuals less likely to commit a crime than the average student. I will also let them know that Utah has let their student carry concealed weapons on Campus for some time, and there is no increase in criminal activity

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18355953/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At the end of every call, I make it a point to thank them for their time. If you are insulting, condescending, it is highly likely that the Senator may never know you even called if you made the aid mad.
Last edited by BigBlueDodge on Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BigBlueDodge

Post by BigBlueDodge »

....continued

When I'm talking to a Congress person's aid who is not in support of the bill, I try and tell them "While I respect Senator's XXX opinion on the matter, and I don't expect that I alone will change his/her opinion, I do want the Senator to know that there are many Texans who feel the same as I. While I may not be part of Senator's XXX constituency, I personally feel that I am a constituent of all members of the House and Senate. Being a citizen of this great state, I feel that all elected officials should serve in the interests of the citizens of the whole state." The reason I say that is because I heard alot about "well the constituents of Senator XXX voiced concern about the bill, which is whey he/she doesn't support it". This is usually after they find out that I am not one of the Senators constituent, and thus try and nullify my argument because that Senator does not serve me.

I think the more informed you present yourself, the more your message will resonate with the Senator's office.

TxDrifter

Post by TxDrifter »

Seeing as how it is campuses and they are spread throughout the state, representing the entire state seems appropriate anyway. Many students are from other districts or counties than the ones they attend school in.
USAF Veteran
Lifetime NRA Member
Do or do not, there is no try.
For those who fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

ELB
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ELB »

OK, finished calling all members of the committees and the three others who dropped their co-authorship.

Had a chat with a staffer for Rep Heflin -- she was curious about how I knew that he had backed off on the bill, whether the NRA and others track this stuff. She said they had been getting a lot of calls on this issue. I told her of course, these are important issues for them, and for me, and that's why I am a member. She actually seemed curious about it, not "aha you're an lobbyist" kind of respone. She mentioned that some Virginia Tech survivors were brought by to claim that a student having a gun there would not have made any difference. I pointed out some examples to the contrary that I knew off the top of my head (Pearl MS, New Life Church), and that the only mass shootings that had more than three killed were in the so-called gun-free zones.

I offered to send her the SCCC handbook, and she agreed, so I emailed her the link and restated some of the arguments for campus carry in the body of the email.

Talked to Rep Harless's staffer too, and while she promised to pass along my comments, the meaing I got from her comments was that Harliss is being swayed more by opposition from some of her constituents. Also she (the staffer) said there were some amendments (apparently being prepared for the floor?) t hat she is opposed to --but the staffer didn't know the detail. ??

elb
USAF 1982-2005

ELB
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ELB »

p.s. Heflin's staffer said they have been getting lots of calls about his dropping off as an author -- that's why she was asking if the NRA or somebody tracks this kind of stuff -- I think she was wondering how so many knew about it.

elb
USAF 1982-2005

BigBlueDodge

Post by BigBlueDodge »

good job ELB. Thank you for your efforts. Everyone, please continue to do your part. The process is easy and doesn't require but a small amount of time. And it sounds like these representatives are starting to take notice of the increase in calls. Let's keep the pressure on to make sure that support for both Parking Lot and Campus carry is noticed!

BigBlueDodge

Post by BigBlueDodge »

ELB wrote:She mentioned that some Virginia Tech survivors were brought by to claim that a student having a gun there would not have made any difference.
I think that this is a very important statement that should not be underestimated. What her office is saying, is not only are they getting phone in support from the anti-campus carry crowd, the anti-carry crowd is actually bringing in people personally to lobby against the cause. This statement indicates that the ant-carry crowd is physically visiting each senator/house member and talking with them personally. We have to ensure that not only can we match that support, but rather, overpower it with are support in favor of the bill. Let this serve as a challenge to step up your support, and couple you phone calls with emails and or faxes.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I called Mike Jackson this afternoon, the staff lady was very polite, but when I told her I was her constituant she took renewed interest. I explained that the bill is important to me, and that his constituancy probably has more CHL holders than any other district, and that it is important to us.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

ELB wrote:She mentioned that some Virginia Tech survivors were brought by to claim that a student having a gun there would not have made any difference. I pointed out some examples to the contrary that I knew off the top of my head (Pearl MS, New Life Church), and that the only mass shootings that had more than three killed were in the so-called gun-free zones.
Another point to bring up in calls is that campus carry is not just about stopping school shootings. Although mass shootings are high profile events and have been emphasized in the press coverage about campus carry, they are fortunately very rare events. The opposition attempts to use this against us by saying that the likelihood of encountering a shooting is very low and that CHL holders carrying on campus is likely to cause more problems than they solve--which we all know is contradicted by all the statistics showing an extremely low rate of crime by CHLs.

While campus shootings are rare, other crime on campus is not. Campus carry would also allow CHLs to protect themselves from random and not-so-random crime, e.g. a college student who has a CHL so she can protect herself from a stalker would under current law be unable to do so.

As another example, I am a graduate student in Houston. I take public transportation to and from school each day and am therefore disarmed on my commute as well as at school. Although my school is in a relatively safe area (as safe as one can be in Houston), many schools are not--look at the area surrounding Texas Southern University and the University of Houston--it is one of the most dangerous areas of town and that violence has been known to spill over onto campus. There is no magic force field keeping criminals from bringing weapons onto the campus simply because the school or the legislature says they cannot.

nitrogen
Posts in topic: 2

Post by nitrogen »

I got yelled at for doing this at the office today (which I can totally understand) so I probably will be doing a lot less of it unless I can sneak out for lunch.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

TrueFlog

Post by TrueFlog »

And it's not just about students either. Plenty of others would benefit from this legislation - parents who've come to visit their kids, the general public who want to hear a guest speaker or visit a museum, alumni coming back for a visit, guest speakers and other special guests of the university. The list goes on and on...

TxFig

Post by TxFig »

Here is the letter I sent to my Rep - Fred Brown last week:

I am writing to you in order to encourage you to not only support the pending bill in the state legislature which would allow Concealed Carry of Handguns by CHL holders on university campuses, but to ask you to re-add your name as a sponsor of the bill.

I am a former student of Texas A&M (class of '87), a current staff member at Texas A&M, as well as the father of 3 current (or soon to be current) students here at Texas A&M. In other words, this bill affect affects me and my family in a very direct and personal nature.

I do not know if you remember me or not; we have met on numerous occasions. I do believe you know my wife, Dalene Barnes as she worked with the Chamber of Commerce here in Bryan. Please note that we have been strong supporters of you in past elections; you have always been someone we could count on to stand by the principals we both believe in.

But I must be honest with you and say that this issue is of such critical importance, that if you cannot support the bill, I will no longer be able to support you as my representative. The stand you take on this issue - either way - will be a topic of discussion at the next Brazos Valley Tea Party this summer.

If you would like to speak with me on this issue, please feel free to call me, either at home, or on my cell phone (979-xxx-xxxx)

Return to “2009 Texas Legislative Session”